Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting multiple CC#64 events with half damper pedal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtucker55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Getting multiple CC#64 events with half damper pedal Reply with quote

I just purchased a Korg DS1H - Half Damper Switch Pedal to take advantage of half pedaling on the Oasys 76. Just recorded some midi in Cakewalks Sonar X2a and I notice that there are Several CC#64 controller values of 127 recorded with a single depression and hold of the pedal.

I'm talking maybe 30 events recorded while holding the pedal down for just a single dotted half note. The pedal has been calibrated (several times) with the Oasys and sounds like it is working properly.

That is an excessive amount of controller data and not sure why it would continue to send the same value repeatedly while held down. I am using it on the Exs2 pianos but have also tried it as just midi input into a soft synth in the DAW with the same results.

Have also tried recording midi and watching the events occur in Sonars piano roll view as I press and hold the DS1H pedal and I can see the CC#64 events being recorded. When I depress the pedal the values quickly increase to 127 and then continue to send 127 as separate events. After a while it does quit sending the same 127 values and does not send anything else until I release the pedal. I can see the values fall to 0.

I do not have this problem when using just the on/off sustain pedal. I'm not sure if this DS1H pedal has a contact problem or if that is just the way it works with the Oasys.

Just curious if anyone else is using a half damper pedal and seeing the same results when using a DAW. I appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,
Rick
rtucker55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is no one else in this forum that owns an Oasys, DS1h pedal, and uses an external DAW to record midi from the Oasys?

I use to live in these forums and everyone seemed most helpful so I am surprised not to see one reply out of the few views that this post has received.

I know there still must be some Oasys die-hard fans out here. I have searched the forums here and at Karma Labs and could not find anything regarding the repeated CC#64 value 127 events being sent when the pedal is depressed.

I am guessing that I have a defective Korg pedal as the resistance values continuously change when the pedal is fully depressed and held depressed.

In any event, Thanks to all of those who replied.

Kind regards,
Rick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a half damper pedal. Have you tried switching DAMPER POLARITY? Not sure if this will help, but it is in GLOBAL mode....CONTROLLERS/SCALES tab.
rtucker55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Long time no talk to. Hope all is well with you!

I did try that for grins but it is a Korg pedal so it uses the Negative (Korg) polarity setting.

I am pretty sure the Korg pedal is defective so I have a Yamaha FC3 on the way. That is the pedal that Danatkorg said he used in an old thread over on the Karmalabs forum. Will have to change the polarity setting, in global, to use the Yamaha pedal though.

I really appreciate your reply.

Kind regards,
Rick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post back when you get that other pedal. Hopefully, that does the trick!
rtucker55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the Yamaha FC3 half damper pedal today and it does not work at all. Totally different plug connections and resistance values.

I went back to re-read the thread where Dan said he used them but it seems that he was talking about the switch type pedals and not the half damper type.

So, talked with Korg support again today and the product support guy just returned to work yesterday. The tech guy had not had a chance to talk with him yet about the issue and said he would when he got around to it.

Really I am a bit disappointed in the way support has reacted to the problem as they really didn't think it is a problem because the half damper does sound like it works even though it re-sends the CC#64 127 value over a hundred times a second. 3 to 4 events per frame at 30 fps. Unfortunately, they can't tell me if that is the way it is supposed to work or not.

I do think it is a problem because all of that unnecessary controller data is being sent over the midi buss and recorded in the external daw and makes any edits a time consuming venture.

Not sure what else to do or try until I hear back from Korg. I will be on the phone with someone at Korg again Monday whether it is tech support or Customer Service.

Kind regards,
Rick
rtucker55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to contact Korg support again today but the tech (max) was just too busy to talk to me and the other tech did not want to get involved which I understand.

Through testing I came to the conclusion that the DS1H pedal was defective.
I have returned the pedal to the music store and have given up on using the half damper pedal on the Oasys as there is no assurance that I will get a pedal that works. It cost me about 20% of what the pedal cost just to return it.

Dealing with Korg again has brought back some distasteful memories from the past. I had hoped that things might have become better but nothing has changed. Arrogance still rules within Korg. The Customer is wrong and Korg is right. I swear I will never purchase another Korg product.

Kind regards,
Rick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this experience, Rick. If I ever pick up a half damper pedal, I'll revisit this thread.

Still waiting to hear from anyone else who has one..... Eh?
pilbeam_mp62

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that MIDI data is being sent back into the Oasys in a loop which is producing all the CC 64 events ?

I would unplug all MIDI cables from the Oasys and make a recording in the Oasys itself, and see what happens - do you still get all the CC 64 data ?

Regards
fallingman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm noticing a lot of MIDI data coming in when using my OASYS 88 with Logic Pro 9 - it seems the half-pedal generates constant info about its status and value, which is cluttering up my Event List...

...or maybe I just have crap pesal technique LOL.

But I know what you mean. Not that that helps much...

Studio Gear: Korg OASYS 88 #001907 ~ Korg Triton Extreme 61 ~ Studiologic Sledge 2.5 ~ REASON 11 ~ Arturia V Collection 8 ~ Logic Pro X ~ iPhone 13 Pro Max ~ iPad Air 2
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, half damper pedals use a pot rather than a switch. A dirty pot will act this way, sending out info everytime there is the slightest change in value. Or rather, the slight variations of the pot value is read as a change creating data.

You might try some contact cleaner in that pot. This helped me with a volume pedal with similar symptoms.

A more substantial fix might be adding a small capacitor across the wiper of the pot. You would have to experiment with the value. Too much would slow down the reaction of the pedal.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: