Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsampler - my dreams come true?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
88.josh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Microsampler - my dreams come true? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, nice to see such an active forum, I used to spend a lot of time on the Ableton forums before they got really quiet and eventually disappeared...

I have a bit of a newbie questions i'm afraid, please bare with me...

I'm interested in the Korg MicroSampler, but I'm not sure it's exactly right for what I need.

What I'd like is to make synth sounds in Ableton live (for example, a stab sound), make 36 .wav files (i.e one wav for each note for three octaves) then load the 36 wav files into the microsampler and play the files on the keyboard. As well as one-shot style sounds (piano) I'd also like to do organ/string style sounds (presumably using a loop).

That is literally all i want to do - have the ability to play samples of software synths, on a keyboard (without my laptop!)

so: here are some questions.
if i use MONO at 48khz - 4 seconds of sample per key per bank?
does 24kh sound really bad? Is it usable, outside of a lofi setting?
is it easy to use looping to make (for example) a 4 second organ sample go on for as long as i hold the key? or will it be easy to notice when the sample stops and starts? (my feeling is that it will be).

There's really nothing quite like the korg microsampler that i've seen. It's quite close to perfection for me, although only being given 4 seconds of sample time per key might be a killer... Shame it wasn't SDcard compatible (like the alesis drumpad).

I suppose the idea of a microsampler XL is just a dream?
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24khz still gives good audio quality, because the MS has fantastic audio quality, it will be just as good as your laptop even at this sample rate, 48khz is enough to blow people away when played though big PA systems.

Unfortunately MS only lets you loop from beginning to end, so you have to be careful with the looping, so looping sample with sudden attacks will give the annoying click, good results can be obtained with samples without sudden attacks, so a lot of organ and string sounds can still be looped smoothly.

The MS does heaps of other cool stuff, and keeps me busy for hours creating really heavy duty backing music, using the looping features, creating layering effects by re-sampling loops played together, and the effects are cool too, just too many things to mention, it all depends on what you are going to use it for.
88.josh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

I do think 24khz probably isn't so bad in terms of digital degregdation, with the kind of music (lofi pop/indie) i play it doesn't need to be completely perfect anyway.

although i do really like the idea of the the korg microsampler, i still can't help but think it would be easier to get an new iPad mini for £100 more, and buy cubasis to use as a sampler...

I do think it's quite strange that there's nothing like the microsampler that has an SD card... if this thing had several gigabytes of storage space (for example, so I could load in one minute of sample per key to do strings...) it would literally be a dream come true for me (korg, take note! make it cheap like the nanokey and simple like the alesis samplepad!).
electrochrisso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the ipad, for the home recording situation, with cubase, keep in mind though, if you are going to use it live through high end amp situation, you will probably have to also buy high quality external audio hardware engine the ipad will plug into, where the MS you can plug straight in and go and get full dynamic audio.

I think you will find the MS did not go with using gigabytes of ram is because of the addressing space that would be required to handle the memory, so the MS would probably have ended up costing twice as much to make, as well as the length of time it would take to load banks, at least they produced software so it is easy to store banks to computer and back, when used with a netbook gives ability to have as many sounds and loops as one likes, in a compact and mobile setup.

For what I use the MS for it has more than enough memory, a lot of people don't realise the MS is not meant to be a full blown sampler, more like a full blown loop station with keys and high end audio engine for club and stage stuff, and much more to boot, which is what I like about it. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: