Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keybed - any purchase regret?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzzxtreme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: keybed - any purchase regret? Reply with quote

oh korg, why is krome's keybed is Le` Suck ? Roland managed to do pleasant keybed with equally priced Juno GI/VR09

Good sounds, interface, I guess they really need to cut corners to keep the price down, or, to not affect kronos' sales.

Anyone here owns Krome and feels like returning/selling it BECAUSE of the keybed ? I'm curious to know. Korgs I've owned - M1, 01/W, Wavestation, N5, Karma. (Karma is just as bad)
summers2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Krome about three months, and to this point have found no reason to complain. The keybed is not the same as the one on my Motif XS, but it is very satisfactory. In my mind, it is equal to the one on the Juno Gi. I play my Krome practically every day, and I have to say that I paid what I wanted to pay, and I feel that I certainly got my money's worth. If I had paid $2400.00 for the board as I did for the Motif XS76, I would complain. I would expect better for my money. I didn't want to spend that much.

My only concern is long term reliability. That is because of the apparent problems people are having with the Kronos. The Korgs that I have owned in the past were spot on reliable.
morty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: What keybed are you talking about Reply with quote

Krome 61/73 or 88?

I have the 88 and find no problem with the keybed or touch,... love it and Ive had RH3 beds in the past I also own the Kurzweil PC3 with the Fatar bed
still like my Krome 88, I dont know about the 61 or 73???

Current Gear: KORG KROME 88 - KURZWEIL PC-3 - ROLAND INTEGRA 7 - ROLAND A PRO-800 Midi Controller - ROLAND VK8M Organ Module - YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summers2 wrote:

My only concern is long term reliability. That is because of the apparent problems people are having with the Kronos. The Korgs that I have owned in the past were spot on reliable.

There really are not many problems with the Kronos ... although there are several topics about keybed problems, almost all problems are solved with the free fix of the keybed and new Kronosses are fixed before shipping.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jameslol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: I have spent one month with Krome 73 - There is no problem! Reply with quote

There is no problem with my Krome 73. It's a good device that you never find from Yamaha or Roland with the price rank.

I'm still hoping that Krome will be equipped more sounds in further. Still more room in the Krome ROM.
Lcash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Krome 88 and the PA600. Love the keyboard on the Krome but the PA600 could use some work.

Lcash
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the topic Krome Build Quality
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two people with problems, while most people without problems probably don't take the time to react here (logically). People with keybed problems would have searched and reacted but it seems like the Krome's keybed is (at least) according expections.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t have problems, but i'm reacting... I don't even have a krome, but from what i've tested i'll say strictly from a keybed point, any keybed is better than this in my opinion.

Anyone coming from an M1, 01W or wavestation surly can't stand 10 minutes playing this keys

The keys are your connection to the instrument, if you can't connect who cares how great it sounds and how much features it has??
Better to use it as a sound module and play thru some decent keys
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
morty

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jorgemncardoso"]I don´t have problems, but i'm reacting... I don't even have a krome, but from what i've tested i'll say strictly from a keybed point, any keybed is better than this in my opinion.

Anyone coming from an M1, 01W or wavestation surly can't stand 10 minutes playing this keys

I disagree and I go back to the Rhodes,Cx3,Minimoog days...the point is 1stly the money factor... you cant expect a $1500-$1800 Krome to compare to a $3500-$5000 Kronos....but! for around $1500 CAD my Krome 88 keybed is fine and the sounds are awesome! 2ndly made in asia, my older gear was made in Japan, much better quality,but what choice do we have??? And Yes I had the M1 and the 05W but still prefer the Krome 88 overall but I did use both the M1 and 05 alot.... gotta a good buck for the M1.
My Opinion only:)

MY GEAR: KORG KROME 88/KURZWEIL PC-3/ROLAND INTEGRA 7/ROLAND VK-8M B3 Clone/
ROLAND A-PRO 800/YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying morty, however my point was for the 61 keybed, i haven't tried the 88 yet so i cant comment but i've seen some complaints about it, i don't know if they are serious or not.

As for the money factor i think there is no excuse to put such a crappy 61 keybed on this synth, and for 1500 it's supposed to be a serious keyboard, not a toy. For me 1500 is a two month salary so it's not pocket change.
20 years ago it's how much an M1 coasted for example, so you can compare build quality.

In my opinion if they can't sell the synth for 1500 by putting a decent keybed on it then, put some Less technology in it!! Put some Less features it it!! For me (i'm a performer, a stage guy...) cutting corners on the keybed and putting almost a kronos engine inside a cheap box with a cheap plasticy keybed to sell for 1500 or less is Not the awnser.

And i will say the same about the Kronos keybeds in a similar way, of course they are better than the ones on krome but they are nothing like the quality old keybeds use to have.

This is why i just avoid buying new keyboards made today, from Korg or some other brands for that matter, i prefer to have my T3 or 01W with great keys and some great sound modules than having a krome or kronos. It's almost all made in china these days.

Maybe i'm biased but to me the Yamaha FS syth action keybed on old Korg and Yamaha synths is still the best ever made, but again, just my personal opinion Smile
morty

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i'm biased but to me the Yamaha FS syth action keybed on old Korg and Yamaha synths is still the best ever made, but again, just my personal opinion Smile

No your right! I do agree, but if you want the newest technology you get it from China unfortunatly, mind you my Yamaha Motif XS rack was made in Japan and believe it or not my new Roland I7 was made in Japan... I was shocked.I do love the touch on the Krome 88 over my old RH3 Korg keybed
I use to have, and Im a pianist.I saw a lot of flack on forums about the Krome 88 keybed and until I tried one for a month I actually like it.Every one has to try them for themselves.But as far as the 61 or 73 key Krome it doesnt touch my Kurzweil PC3 Fatar keybed BIG Difference!Its very similar to my old Korg M1.

MY GEAR: KORG KROME 88/KURZWEIL PC-3/ROLAND INTEGRA 7/ROLAND VK-8M B3 Clone/
ROLAND A-PRO 800/YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by the music store today to buy some stuff, there was a new krome 61 and and a used m50 61 there.
I've got to tell you... same keybed as you know... If i don't like this keybed when brand new, the one on the used m50 (had some use) just sucked BIG time, what a flimsy toy like feel...!! It's what the Krome will feel like after some use. Totally floppy and wobbles all over, feels like playing with cotton balls.

This is a 1200 euro keyboard (krome), if people are happy with this keybed and content with the fact that at this price range the keys on a synth should be like this, than fine. But to me it's totally outrageous that something is this price range comes with such crap for keys.

If it was 400 euro i would understand, but 1200...??? Price range is no excuse here, this is supposed to be a budget pro synth, there is absolutely nothing pro about this keybed.

Stuff like this is likely to hurt Korg's image for reliability in the long run in my opinion.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only decent non weighted hammer action keybed Korg has now is the Kronos 61.

Korg could solve a lot of the complaints about keybeds if they adpoted a new strategy. Maybe having a 61 key lightweight version without aftertouch of lesser quality for those on a budget. Then a 73/76 key semi-weighted version with Kronos/M3 action. And finally the 88 key version with hammer action.

The korg component system from the M3/Radias days had potential for implementing something like this but that never went anywhere.
sani

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Stopped by the music store today to buy some stuff, there was a new krome 61 and and a used m50 61 there.
I've got to tell you... same keybed as you know...

The keybed on the Krome is certainly not something one will easily fall in love with, but if you don't feel a difference between the Krome keybed and the M50, then you really have a problem with your perception.
IMHO, the overall feel of the Krome keybed is definitely better than the one on the Le or the M50. The keys are even weighted, unlike those on the Le or M50. Unfortunately - and I amazes me how nobody talks about it - the Krome keybed has a big construction error. The nearer you press a key toward its end (toward the screen / away from you) the harder it is to press the key. Try to press a key completely at its end and you'll realize that it's impossible!!! So, it makes playing extremely difficult or impossible at all.
BTW, the Krome is 1000 Euro. And for that money I don't really expect Kronos quality keys. They have somewhere to cut the costs and even to distinguish between their flagship and low budget models. (The keys on the MoX for example are not better).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: