Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

velocity switch samples?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: velocity switch samples? Reply with quote

Does Microsampler has this feature? I would like to be able to map 4 samples per key(s) and switch them with velocity. If not, is there a compact sampling keyboard that does that?
loraxman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't switch samples at velocity but you can vary the volume by velocity.

So basically you can emulate a harder strike like a piano hammer.

Download one of the Grand Piano banks here to see how it works:

http://www.acousticorchard.com/snd_collections/87?

Have a look around the Sound Collections here. Lots of free banks for Microsampler.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is not a sampler but a toy. Even the Roland DJ70 from 1990 had this option dammit!
Telengard

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgorsan wrote:
So this is not a sampler but a toy. Even the Roland DJ70 from 1990 had this option dammit!

Personally, I wouldn't call it a toy. (You may of course) It may not be able to do the multiple velocities per key, but it sure can do a ton more things that might be more relevant to modern electronic music. For example, it has great key-lock for loop-based music, great set of FXs, the ability to re-sample to created extremely unique sounds, it's own mic, and the ability to run on batteries.

I wouldn't give mine up for anything. I would get an Octatrack, though, but for different reasons to use with the microSAMPLER.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just pisses me off when someone puts out the unit that has been outclassed over 2 decades ago. Wait, I am lying the SCSI is gone and it got replaced with USB. We should be thankful! Btw the DJ70 was no slouch, I bet it had all the features the microTOY has. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing all over KORG as I own M3 and like it. KORG IF YOU ARE READING PLEASE ADD THIS BASIC SAMPLING FEATURE TO THE OS AND I WILL BUY IT IN A HEARTBEAT.
Telengard

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the specs on the DJ70 and for me, not even close. Doesn't even have any FXs (not even reverb or delay). There is a lot more to the microSAMPLER then most people see. But again, not for everyone.

Have you looked into finding a DJ70? Does it actually do the multi-sample per key? I couldn't find info on that spec. Plus that thing weighs 18 lbs.!!! Must be build like a tank! Smile

Also, have you come across any other keyboard samplers that aren't full workstations that have the multi-sample per key? I am interesting in something like that as well.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, no FX except time stretching and yes it does 4 samples per key. Here is a detailed description:
http://www.synthman.com/roland/support/supplementalnotes/SUPNOTES/DJMKII.html

No, I am not aware of any better spec. compact keyboard sampler.
Telengard

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgorsan wrote:
No, I am not aware of any better spec. compact keyboard sampler.

Maybe the microSAMPLER version 2 or version XL, but I won't be holding my breath.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I need one soon and need 4 samples per key feature. Telengard, did you check out the Beat Thang:http://www.bketech.com/beat-thang-tour/ ?
They lowered the price and seems to have all the features I want + it's quite portable.
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgorsan wrote:
Telengard, did you check out the Beat Thang:http://www.bketech.com/beat-thang-tour/ ?
They lowered the price and seems to have all the features I want + it's quite portable.

I was watching for it before it came out. I always thought it looked like a great piece of kit, but didn't want to spend the money on it. I think it was $1200.00 when it started out. Last I heard was when they were talking about getting it sold at best buy. Seems like a lot of people looked at it like it was a joke. Don't remember much about it anymore, though I remember thinking that if I was going to spend that much money on it, I would get and Octatrack instead.

It still seems a bit limiting in some ways. I don't think there is any automation and didn't see specs on multi-sample key velocity.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No automation but can stack or velocity switch 16 samples per key.
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, are the samples based upon velocity? I am sure you could hook up an external keyboard and control it via MIDI.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes through standard MIDI IN or USB MIDI, it even powers the controller if you go the USB route and can run for 4 hours or so on rechargable batteries. Just got a reply from them when asking some questions and they say the BTV (software version) has exactly the same features as hardware unit. You can download a demo version of it and see what all it can do, I know I will. It runs for 14 days as a full version. Here link:http://www.bketech.com/btv/features/
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I will have to have a look.
gorgorsan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that Beat Thang after all doesn't have some basic sampling features so is a no go for me. I am now all warm up for a mighty Kronos instead Cool I know they are not in the same league to begin with but I just sold my other keyboard and Kronos 61 is not that big after all and it is a dream machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: