Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MS20 Mini As MIDI Controller

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 2278
Location: Long Island, NY

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Using MS20 Mini As MIDI Controller Reply with quote

I wonder if it would be possible to use the MS20 Mini as a MIDI controller for the Kronos.

About 10 years ago Korg had a version of the Legacy Collection software that included an MS20 controller (interestingly at 86 percent of the original size). You could use the knobs as well as the patch panel to control the virtual synth and if you ran out of cables you could just use the on-screen editor for more virtual cables.

It would be cool if you could use the MINI as controller for the Kronos MS20 or the MS20 legacy VST as well as a standalone real analog synth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cynkh
Platinum Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Buffalo, N.Y.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Using MS20 Mini As MIDI Controller Reply with quote

That would definitely be a fantastic feature. Unfortunately, the MIDI is input only and both MIDI and USB are note on/off only; so, for at least this iteration of the product this won't be possible.

Cheers!

Bald Eagle wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to use the MS20 Mini as a MIDI controller for the Kronos.

About 10 years ago Korg had a version of the Legacy Collection software that included an MS20 controller (interestingly at 86 percent of the original size). You could use the knobs as well as the patch panel to control the virtual synth and if you ran out of cables you could just use the on-screen editor for more virtual cables.

It would be cool if you could use the MINI as controller for the Kronos MS20 or the MS20 legacy VST as well as a standalone real analog synth.

_________________
- cynkh -

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 2278
Location: Long Island, NY

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cynkh ... off topic but I noticed you are in Buffalo. I grew up there. How's the Anchor Bar and those Buffalo Wings doing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cynkh
Platinum Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Location: Buffalo, N.Y.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're doing quite well. Just put an Anchor Bar in the airport a few years ago and have been expanding by putting mini Anchor-express-type locations around in other establishments.

Personally, I prefer Louie's wings to Anchor but the latter are the originals so all respect to the establishment. Smile

Thanks for askin'!

Bald Eagle wrote:
Hey cynkh ... off topic but I noticed you are in Buffalo. I grew up there. How's the Anchor Bar and those Buffalo Wings doing?

_________________
- cynkh -

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DanyoSound



Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Location: South Bay, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MS20 Mini works polyphonically as a controller using the USB connector. I can play chords on the Mini using software synths this way.

I imagine it might be possible to use the USB connector from the MS20 to your computer, and then output the data as MIDI to an external MIDI device like a synthesizer or drum machine, but I have not tried it.

~D
_________________
~Danyo
Korg MS2000, MS20 Mini; QSC K10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slug
Senior Member


Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the MS-20 keyboard has fixed velocity over MIDI which makes it fairly limiting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PB21



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask how you did thios with the ms20 mini? I have the usb connected and the midi out from midisport 4x4 connected to the ms20 midi in standard connector. Ableton live has a midi track with output set to midisport out c. i can see the yellow indicator moving as ableton plays the midi notes but the ms20 dopesnt respond by playing the notes.

help would be appreciated.
_________________
Peter Bailey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slug
Senior Member


Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB21 wrote:
Can I ask how you did thios with the ms20 mini? I have the usb connected and the midi out from midisport 4x4 connected to the ms20 midi in standard connector. Ableton live has a midi track with output set to midisport out c. i can see the yellow indicator moving as ableton plays the midi notes but the ms20 dopesnt respond by playing the notes.

help would be appreciated.

You use either USB for two way communication or the MIDI port if you only need MIDI input to the MS20. There is absolutely no need for both at the same time. The MS20 is only on MIDI channel 1 so you need to have that selected correctly in your Ableton track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slug
Senior Member


Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Using MS20 Mini As MIDI Controller Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
It would be cool if you could use the MINI as controller for the Kronos MS20 or the MS20 legacy VST as well as a standalone real analog synth.

If you buy a used MS20iC ("C"=Controller) you can do this. The MS20 mini does not send MIDI from the knobs, nor velocity from the keyboard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group