Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Solved) How to set the root key of a scale ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davedionldavedionl

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: (Solved) How to set the root key of a scale ? Reply with quote

Hi

I looked into the manual but I didn't found any hint how to change the root note of a scale. For example when I use the algorithm 13 that sound like a sitar it seems like all the preset scale are in C, so I already figured how to change between the type of scale ex: pentatonic, major, etc. but they are all in key of C ... I would like to be able to change it to another key ex: E or B or whatever

I'm confused can someone help me

Thank you Smile

Last edited by davedionldavedionl on Mon May 20, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
FromTheFuture

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I joined the forum with a similar quandry but it looks like you're farther ahead than me,

I was wondering if there is a way to know the key of everything (like, is tuning 0, 12, -12, 24 and -24 all C or is it relative to each program)

Would you explain how you pick the scale? that would be incredibly useful information for me.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to set the root key of a scale ? Reply with quote

davedionldavedionl wrote:
I looked into the manual but I didn't found any hint how to change the root note of a scale.

Simple:
Use the Tune [tun] parameter in Edit 1 mode.

If you have algo 13 assigned to the head, select the [tun] parameter in Edit 1 mode.
Then select button #1 to adjust the tuning for the head algorithm.
Adjust the pitch up or down using the value knob.
Save your settings.
Done!
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FromTheFuture wrote:
Would you explain how you pick the scale?

It should be on page 25 of the owner's manual.

Quote:
About the preset scales
Some of the algorithms in the WAVEDRUM allow you to play phrases in a particular scale.
You can choose one of the following eight types of scale. For some algorithms, not all scales are available. For details, refer to the page on each algorithm.
Scale Select is available in the following algorithms.
“07 WindDrum”
“13 Sawari–B”
“21 Bamboo”

The eight different scales are then listed in the manual.
You will need to be in Edit 2 Mode in order to access these parameters.
davedionldavedionl

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: thank you WaveDrummer Reply with quote

I didnt realized that tune value was about keys. So if I did understand, the tune option is comparable to a transpose option on a keyboard ... So technically if I go down -12 it'll be in the same key but 1 octave under ?

I'll try that as soon as I come back home Smile

Thanks WaveDrummer
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: thank you WaveDrummer Reply with quote

davedionldavedionl wrote:
I didnt realized that tune value was about keys. So if I did understand, the tune option is comparable to a transpose option on a keyboard ... So technically if I go down -12 it'll be in the same key but 1 octave under ?

I'm not sure that it works in perfect 1/2 step intervals, or if it's even the same for different algorithms. But the root note will change up or down depending on the "TUN" setting.
davedionldavedionl

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I tried it ... In fact the value of an algo is not -24 to 24 its 0 to 100 but I can officially say that it's semitoned between the 38 and the 57 value and the 50 is a G as root key ... That's for the algo 13 Sawari-B, I don't know for other scale algorithm

Thank you for your support, it was really helpful

Dave
sirmalc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be wrong on this, but on Global if you select Scale 7 which plays root only, then adjust the Tune you should be able to use a tuner to figure out the roots at each value. Then, go back and change your scale to the one you want after you have the root that you were looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: