Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just picked it up today (UK)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magikroom

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Just picked it up today (UK) Reply with quote

Got it after work and created my first Patch. Pic and Soundcloud of Patch, with FX, no eq.

http://i.imgur.com/pfVOwdi.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/magikroom/korg-ms20-mini-test-patch
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
davenoz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you noticed any issues with yours? White noise passing through the filter even with the VCO levels down and no white noise selected. Would there be any chance you could try this for me? just set a gate type envelope for EG2 turn down the VCO levels all the way and sweep the LPF with the res around 7. If your unit is anything like mine you will hear a whoosh. Also when I'm modulating the filter with EG2 increasing the sustain lowers the cut off point at the start of the envelope. Is that normal for an ms-20/mini? an easy way to test is Osc 1 square> LPF set to 2, res 7, cut off modulation EG2EXT 10
EG2 attack 5, decay 5, sustain 0. There should be a nice bright filter sweep and increasing the sustain will make it darker. I've never encountered that before.
magikroom

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

Hi, yes it does have the noise and I know a lot of people are talking about, but I think the original was similar, the Rev 1 version anyway. I have a couple of old analogues and they are noisy as hell, I think it is to be expected at this price point.
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be something in the circuitry? I know the monotron is noisy as hell, making it practically unusable for me. I'd bet the monotribe is just the same, and I wonder about the Volcas, too.

FYI, I own a minibrute, no noise whatsoever. I feel like I might buy an ms20 in the future sometime ( as both the brute and ms20 each offer something unique) but not if the models have all that noise
davenoz

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It's a real shame I think because I really love the sound. The SH-101 is nothing like this noisy and I have the Minibrute also and again no noise. It's the noisiest synth I have ever owned or heard. Korg supposedly re-designed the VCA to reduce the noise? It sounds absolutely fantastic don't get me wrong but you have to have the oscillator levels pumped up to try and drown out the white noise sweeping the filter (at high res levels especially) and the filter sounds more aggressive that way which isn't always what you want. I don't know why increasing the sustain while sweeping the filter closes the filter either? although that's normal for an Ms-20 apparently. Apart from that though its the best mono synth I've had but that noise lets it down. It's too loud!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait. Apparently with the original, KORG later came out with a revision (i think it was something to do with the resonance or drive, making the 2nd edition more aggressive). Maybe a less noisy 2nd run will surface.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
I'm going to wait. Apparently with the original, KORG later came out with a revision (i think it was something to do with the resonance or drive, making the 2nd edition more aggressive). Maybe a less noisy 2nd run will surface.

The second edition Korg made of the original MS-20 was actually less aggressive. What they did was replace the filter with a new one that didn't have as high of a resonance (peak) level to avoid distortion, which made the filter smoother and less aggressive. The first version's filter distortion is what makes the MS-20 unique though, and they are using that same filter in the Mini.

As for the noise level, a small handful of people whom own the original MS-20 had stated that the original is just as noisy (there's even comparisons to prove it), so it's not something to worry about. It just happens to be that way by design. If you use the line out jack instead of the headphone jack, it's not as apparent. The Monotribe, which also uses some of the MS-20's components, has some pretty noisy oscillators too.
davenoz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so. If its meant to be this way then these are things I'd be prepared to live with because it's worth it for the sound. I would of still bought it anyway for that reason. I would of just preferred it to have less noise so I could use the triangle on it's own more than I will and be able to back the levels off from the filter a bit sometimes for less distortion. Also I find it a little inconvenient that I have to adjust the filter every time I move the sustain level but, if altering any of these things would of compromised the sound in anyway I wouldn't of changed a thing. I'm made up Korg has decided to do this. I don't think anyone should be put off buying it. It's an absolute bargain, They did say that they had re-designed the VCA to reduce the noise though, which doesn't seem to be the case. The noise is louder and the output's louder.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davenoz wrote:
They did say that they had re-designed the VCA to reduce the noise though, which doesn't seem to be the case. The noise is louder and the output's louder.

This statement made by Korg bothers me a little as well, but I can live with it. Comparisons have proven that the Mini's overall output is certainly louder than the original, so it might appear to seem noisier depending on how you have the OSC Mixer set in relation to the volume knob and which output jack you are using. I'm sure there's a good balance somewhere where it's not as noticeable. Likewise, the triangle wave is actually the dirtiest sounding on my Monotribe. I just look at it as a good thing because most of my digital gear sounds too clean. It's nice to have something gritty to change things up.
davenoz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It's actually good for some stuff, just had 16' triangle through the LPF with high res heavily filtered and modulated by the KBD CV out, sounded good in that situation. I suppose you've gotta just love it for being unique and it does add to the character in some respects. I think I was just surprised that it was there. Every synth has its quirks I suppose Very Happy Just to confirm though, the noise in the filter is the same using the main out. You are right about the hiss being quieter though, I didn't really notice that the other day, probably to busy listening to the filter. definitely sounds dirtier coming from the main out which is good.
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Returned it Reply with quote

It was a hard decision, but I took it back to the shop I bought it from...Just couldn't get over the noise/hiss with key on. I did a track with it, for the bass, but I wanted to have the Bass isolated in the arrangement and of course, the noise was there. EQ'd, it out, but couldn't filter sweep as the top end was gone.

It sounds great, don't get me wrong and compared to what I've bought in the past £500 is very reasonable...but they need to tweak the noise issue. Yes, for analogue you expect some noise...my old Juno 6 and JX10 are so hissy when the chorus is on, they sound like the tide is coming in...but you can turn this off and use external fx...not here.

It states in the manual that the vca has been tweaked so it's less noisy, but surely they must have realised some people may find it an issue? Maybe it's the initial batch, who knows, but if they do fix it/change it, then i'd get another in a heart beat. Sorry Korg.."7/10 Could try harder!"
goldphinga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rev1 i have isnt noisy at all. The Mini i had for review wasn't noisy either. So it seems both rev1's can be quiet or noisy and Mini's can be quiet or noisy too. Thats the joy of Ms20 ownership. Each one is different. Though if noise is such a big issue on a new one it should be investigated...as i said the one i had was quiet...just brighter and louder than my rev1.
davenoz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've seen a demo on Youtube where the osc levels were up about 3 quarters of the way and the noise seemed a lot lower than mine.
Was white noise constantly in the filter on urs? and did increasing the sustain level from 0 lower the filter cutoff when sweeping the filter with the env 2 ADSR
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise sounds great on mine. It's from the first uk shipment. Fab synth, i might get a second one sometime. Cool Happy days.
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

davenoz wrote:
Thanks. I've seen a demo on Youtube where the osc levels were up about 3 quarters of the way and the noise seemed a lot lower than mine.
Was white noise constantly in the filter on urs? and did increasing the sustain level from 0 lower the filter cutoff when sweeping the filter with the env 2 ADSR

The hiss wasn't affected by the filter at all. If you had the oscillators turned completely down, then pressed a key, there's a burst of white noise and it is gone when it is released. The hiss was affected by the envelope, so you could shape it. For me the problem was, when you filtered the sound to make a Bass for example, you would hear white noise over the top, every time you pressed a key.

Yes, you could eq it out, but I wanted to be able to open the filter while the sound is playing. by eq'ing out the top end to remove the hiss, opening the filter in real-time meant the sound was dull.

When the unit is standing and not being played, there isn't any noise, it's just with key on that you hear it...think of it as a Gate. I'm not one for using lead sounds, so I bought it for Bass and while it does soind great, it didn't fit with the way I work. If they remove this "feature", then i'd buy another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: