Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg R3 / Radias - Vs. - Alesis ION

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Korg R3 / Radias - Vs. - Alesis ION Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone did a side-by-side comparison with the Radias or the R3 and ION.

I've seen separate videos of these units but couldn't find one on the youtube so was wondering if anyone here has done this type of comparison.

I have an ION and am really impressed with its capabilities but I have nothing else to compare it to so was curious what others thought as compared to the Radias or other VA's for that matter.

Next question...How is the Radias compared to the new King Korg and / or the new MS20 Mini?

Last question concerns the basic VA synth sounds -- without any effects added -- just the raw sounds and how they sound without effects. My Roland XP-80 has some decent synth samples in it but doesn't sound anywhere like the real thing unless either chorus or reverb or both are added which got me thinking about the raw sounds in other synths.

Cool
acemonvw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ConnMann,

I have the Radias (had the R3), but haven't actually tried the ION/Micron. There are a lot of posts where people subjectively compare them, not sure if I know any direct sound comparisons between them. I know Jexus loved the Ion, but also really enjoyed the Radias for being so... out there, in a manner of speaking.

I tested out the King Korg and wasn't really impressed with it myself (based on the 30 minutes I played around with it in Guitar Center). It was okay, but... you know, half of what I love about synthesizers is their looks. The Radias: looks cool. The Virus TI Polar: looks cool. Of course, I love how they sound too, but having that visual beauty just makes it a little more fun to write music. I think the King Korg is pretty ugly. Anyway, I have heard from a lot of people that they like it, and as just a pure synthesizer, it's probably pretty powerful. One thing I love about the radias is its architecture for timbre setup. Four separate timbres, very easy to work with, awesome drum sounds... I'm a big fan. I sold it a while ago and regretted it until I picked it up again.

Now... as for the MS20. Can you even really compare them? They're hardly alike. Yes, you can put the Radias into mono mode and use its internal sequencers (which is another awesome part of the radias). You can check out a video I did (won't post it here) where I just use the radias and tried to get some TB303 sounds on it, but that's also not an MS20.

I'd argue you really can't compare the radias to the MS20, maybe others will disagree, but... you can't save patches with the MS20, but you have a pure analog system that also LOOKS pretty awesome. I'd love to get one, but I haven't tried one. It's unique, and there are a ton of benefits I haven't mentioned (and even more that I don't even understand).

EDIT: Also, you SHOULD be able to go to Guitar center and actually compare a King Korg to an R3. Read up a bit on how to initialize patches on both of them and tweak a bit to compare them... they should have both and you'll be able to better figure out what you think of them, with the ION in your mind (hell, sometimes they even have the micron there).

EDIT EDIT: Based on your signature... do you really need another VA? I'd say no, you don't. Look into the MS20, it's a good price, it's an analog monosynth and you'd have a freakin ball messing with it, learning about routing the signal... that would provide a lot of entertainment and a new way to think about your music. No need to compare with the King Korg or Radias, I think.
acemonvw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...glad I could help Rolling Eyes
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes the original poster tends to drift away...

Laughing
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens way too often with me. Most people just want a quick an easy answer without thinking about things further, but understanding how synthesizers operate and what makes them different doesn't really work that way. Unless you're content with playing presets, you've gotta be a nerd about it, haha.
acemonvw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha...

Maybe I should've just given him the gearslutz solution:

"Yes... buy them all. You need them"
prep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms20 shouldnt even be compared here so im not going to. the micron/miniak has a lot of capabilities but they do not matter because it so damn tedious to program,so they end up being preset players until the person gets sick of the sounds and sells them to a pawn shop or on ebay. the r3 is easy/fun to program(though more virtual patch destinations like the radias and microkorg xl have would improve it greatly)it sounds great, sits better in a mix,and has better vocoding(at least to my ears). if you bought both and could only keep one id guarantee it would be the r3
aaardvark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3/Radias have modern and "trancey" kind of sound, faaaaar more pleasant for my ears Smile

Ion/Micron has much much more synthesis features, but I totally dislike its sound. Something "grey" and "dull". Pretty good synth for movie "wastelands" pads and atmo's, but traditional supersaw leads, arpeggios etc just suck ass. Device for cranked synth maniacs like WC Olo Garb, who prefer infinitely tweak synth for crazy sounds instead of making music Smile
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaardvark wrote:
R3/Radias have modern and "trancey" kind of sound, faaaaar more pleasant for my ears Smile

Ion/Micron has much much more synthesis features, but I totally dislike its sound. Something "grey" and "dull". Pretty good synth for movie "wastelands" pads and atmo's, but traditional supersaw leads, arpeggios etc just suck ass. Device for cranked synth maniacs like WC Olo Garb, who prefer infinitely tweak synth for crazy sounds instead of making music Smile

Hi aardvark,

I agree but would also offer that Radias can sound very classic too. Besides the very cool Dark Moon patch that is stock, there is a YouTube video of a musician doing Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond on Radias and it sounds fantastic. (Yes, I will concede it doesn't sound exactly like the original, but, it works and works VERY well to my ears). There are other demos of musicians doing classic Jarre stuff, and again, while not an exact replication, are damned close.

IMHO the Radias has been given a somewhat ill-deserved reputation as a synth suitable or mostly suitable for trance, techno, etc., when in fact it can kick out some seriously cool old school vibes - subjective opinion of course. Smile

As for our vanished OP, he also mentioned the XP-80 - a ROMpler - and stating that the raw waves don't sound like the real thing. That tells me that the OP had little understanding of ROMplers. Even the "analog drift" parameter that many ROMplers have isn't going to render a sound that perfectly replicates a true analog circuit.

I personally don't have an ION, but I have found the Radias to be an amazing musical instrument. (I hate calling synthesizers and workstations "tools").

KingKorg. I still am convinced - and I know many disagree - that while it's a cool synth, I simply cannot imagine that for me it offers anything that that my Kronos, Jupiter 80, V-Synth, or any of the others save the Motif and XV-88 can't offer. When I test drove KingKorg, I noticed an over reliance on the tube to achieve a closer emulation of classic analogs. Switch it off and the magic isn't there.

All of that said, everyone's MMV.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
ffx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the Radias can sound like analog AND very digital. Micron sounds kind of warm analog, but you'll never get the punch like on Radias.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: