Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PadKontrol Midi input?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: PadKontrol Midi input? Reply with quote

This will sound like a noobie question but I have never used the midi input on my padKontrol for anything. Midi out, obviously [to control other gear]. But what does needs to control the PadKontrol? I could not find anything in the manual.

How is everyone else using the Midi input of their PadKontrol?

Thanks ahead of time for your tips on this.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seriously guys...18 visits to this thread. A little help here?

If you own a Padkontrol and you happen to jump on this thread hoping to find some new "epic discovery" only to discover it is just a fellow musician asking for a simple; "What do I use this for?", you know it would be nice to get an answer to my original question. That's all.

I have the K25 key board controller and it has no Midi in. To me the Padkontrol is similar in that it controls other stuff like the Key board controller. So why would someone want a midi in for the Pad Kontrol and not for the K25 keyboard.

Thanks
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
shasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New here, but if there is any kind of feedback; say like for lights to indicate that something is playing or being triggered that would be one reason. Another would be if you were sending preset information (I believe they call them scenes on the padKontrol).

Of course this is all based on the idea of not using the USB port.

I'm having mine delivered tomorrow so I'm speaking entirely from theory here and will probably have a million questions about the thing myself so hopefully someone else chimes in.
snd_unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a padKontrol yet, but have a question about midi in. If I connect a midi keyboard to the midi in on the padKontrol, can I play the pad settings (velocity curves, velocity levels) defined in the padKontrol via the keyboard?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens to data coming into the padKontrol via its MIDI In port depends on whether the USB port is connected to a computer.

If the padKontrol USB is connected to a computer, then MIDI data coming via its MIDI In port is sent straight through the padKontrol to the MIDI device created in the host computer. This should appear as one of the MIDI IN devices, and labelled something like (MIDI IN port) MIDI IN.

With the padKontrol's USB disconnected, its MIDI In port receives SysEx data for use by Korg's Native Mode, from a computer running software that supports Native Mode. It's a bit like connecting the padKontrol via USB, but without using USB to send control messages to and from the padKontrol, if that makes sense. So, no, incoming keyboard MIDI data are not "translated" using the pad settings, and using a keyboard doesn't really make anything useful happen, since there is no MIDI Thru port, unless the keyboard was able to send SysEx messages that modify the behaviour of the padKontrol.

Last edited by voip on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
snd_unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering. So, it seems what I was thinking is not possible. I wanted to use it without a computer. The setup I had in mind was this:

midi keyboard -> padKontrol -> sound module

So the midi keyboard would play the sound module via padKontrol, and it would use the pad settings defined on the padKontrol (like velocity curves, velocity level, etc.). This is not possible right?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The padKontrol would not be able to modify an external MIDI keyboard's velocity curves and velocity level. Decent MIDI keyboards usually allow selection of velocity curve, and this, coupled with playing strength, would normally determine the MIDI velocity values associated with notes played on the keyboard.

If the desire was to send additional control data on the same MIDI channel, to control things like filters and other parameters in a sound module, then a MIDI merger could be used to merge the two MIDI streams.

If used to control a computer based synth via USB, then a MIDI merger would not be necessary, and the MIDI keyboard could be used to trigger the notes being played, and send the velocity information, whilst the padKontrol could be used to change synth parameters.
snd_unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feature that I'm looking for is the ability to set a fixed velocity per key (or pad). So far I have only found two controllers that can do this: Korg padKONTROL and M-Audio Trigger Finger. If you know any midi keyboard that can do this, please let me know. Wink
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg Kontrol49 keyboard allows a constant velocity value, anywhere between 1 and 127, to be set for key and pad playing. The nanoPAD2 can also be set to constant velocity. There are other MIDI keyboards capable of similar. For example, the M-Audio Code and Oxygen MIDI keyboards, for example, allow fixed velocity values of 64, 100, or 127 to be set.
snd_unit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can set a constant velocity across the keyboard. But can you set a fixed velocity for each key? For example:

Key 1: Fixed velocity, value 10
Key 2: Fixed velocity, value 20
Key 3: Fixed velocity, value 30
etc.

I looked to the Kontrol49 manual and didn't find the possibility to set a specific vecolity value per key.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in reading quickly through, I must have missed the velocity per key requirement. I know one keyboard that will do it... the Korg Kronos. Not exactly a cheap way of doing this, but it has a pads feature, where it is possible to define chords of up to 8 notes for each of 8 "pads" with each note of every chord having a defined velocity, and which is easily set from the touchscreen. Whilst the Kronos itself doesn't have pads on the front panel, the chords can be played by tapping the touchscreen or, alternatively, the Kronos will recognise certain external Korg controllers, like the nanoPAD2, and padKONTROL and automatically map those pads to each of the 8 chords.

The Korg M50 and M3 also allow up to 8 individual notes and velocities to be defined for a set of chords. The M50 has four chord pads and the M3 has eight.

I have to ask the question why is this so imperative? The whole point of having a dynamic, responsive velocity parameter in MIDI, is to allow expressive play, which helps to make music sound alive. Fixed velocities can lead to a rather dull, mechanical rendition of a song, unless there are other modifiers, like modulation sources for varying e.g. filters, and other effects.
snd_unit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to ask the question why is this so imperative? The whole point of having a dynamic, responsive velocity parameter in MIDI, is to allow expressive play, which helps to make music sound alive.

Agree, I also like to use velocity that way.

The fixed velocity per pad (or key) will let me control my MPC in a specific way:
1. I will set velocity to control the start point on the MPC.
2. Then, on the padKontrol I get instant sample chopping. Each of the 16 pads have a different fixed velocity, playing a different part of the sample.
3. I can also do something similar with pitch: Set velocity to control pitch on the MPC, then I have instant 16 levels of pitch on the padKontrol.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: