Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things I wish were demoed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobborries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Things I wish were demoed Reply with quote

Things I wish were demoed on the Volca Keys:

Sweep from zero detune to extreme detune on each of the 5 oscillator modes.

Since you can't select square or sawtooth oscillators, what are the waveshapes for each mode? (Ring Modulation modes have Square, others have Sawtooth)

The range of how punchy and quick the envelope performs.

Is the filter is based on MS-20 or Mini-Korg 700?

Can you record three separate mono lines in the poly mode, or is it just one poly track? (1 Poly Track)

Things I wish were demoed on the Volca Bass:

Is the filter is based on MS-20 or Mini-Korg 700?

The range of how punchy and quick the envelope performs.

Things I wish were demoed on the Volca Beats:

A sampling of how different each drum can sound like.

What is the rate and bit depth of the PCM samples?

Questions for all three

Can midi change parameters that aren't on the front panel? (Yes a few, Bass has slide time, expression, and gate time. Keys has expression)

How much un-intentional noise to these make?

How hackable is the circuit board? Especially separate outs on the Volca Beats.

Living in L.A.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding hackability: I read somewhere that midi out should be an easy mod
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but why is there no MIDI THRU? A serious oversight. I mean, technically, these things are supposed to be analog electribes. Even if the price was jacked to $200, it would have been great if they had IN, OUT, THRU, and maybe a few other minor tweaks like a real ASDR envelope instead of AD/RS.
Feels like Korg keeps deliberately leaving things out...

Back to the original post, I agree with everything that you mentioned. Not only that, I feel like almost every demo is unmusical, or is it just mean? You can't even call what people they're doing NOODLING, instead they're just making some lame sounds. I'm sure these things have a great filter and sound, so why not demo these things properly?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
Yeah, but why is there no MIDI THRU? A serious oversight. I mean, technically, these things are supposed to be analog electribes. Even if the price was jacked to $200, it would have been great if they had IN, OUT, THRU, and maybe a few other minor tweaks like a real ASDR envelope instead of AD/RS.
Feels like Korg keeps deliberately leaving things out...

Back to the original post, I agree with everything that you mentioned. Not only that, I feel like almost every demo is unmusical, or is it just mean? You can't even call what people they're doing NOODLING, instead they're just making some lame sounds. I'm sure these things have a great filter and sound, so why not demo these things properly?

Once they start falling into the right hands, I'm sure you'll see less noodling and more specific breakdowns. Nick from Sonic State usually does great videos for newer Korg gear and I'm sure he'll be putting a video review up within the next few months.

And actually, these are not supposed to be Electribes, they are merely inspired by that series. The Electribes retailed for like $500 each when they came out, which is why they were more fully featured. These cost barely a fraction of that. In fact, getting all three Volcas combined is going to be cheaper than a single new Electribe. As for it not having all three MIDI jacks, it probably comes down to Korg cutting features to keep the retail cost and size minimal. They can be hacked to add MIDI OUT, then if you want MIDI THRU, all you really need a splitter device such as this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru4/

Last edited by Re-Member on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wanted to address your question regarding the filters...

The Keys unit will have the Mini-Korg 700 filter, but it's been modified to only use the LP portion. The Bass unit is supposed to have the MS-20 mk1 filter, but likewise, only the LP portion will be utilized. I remember reading that the filter is going to be tweaked a bit to be not as aggressive sounding, which I'm thinking will be done by limiting the amount of resonance you can add. To me, this is a good thing since it will differentiate it from the Monotribe and MS-20 Mini, both of which I own.

Adding outputs to each drum sound on the Beats will probably only be 50% possible since a portion of them are generated via PCM. You can probably wire individual outputs for the analog sounds, then one output for the PCM chip. This is just a guess though.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two demos here. Best i've seen so far from any user point of view.

http://youtu.be/BWpwF2EYjSE

http://youtu.be/ocy9uPcqf7g

Good insight. Cool
Eyeball

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member, where can I find those specs? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: