Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Triton Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjs7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Updating Triton Studio Reply with quote

I have downloaded the files from the korg website to update my Triton Studio, onto floppy disks... when I put the floppies into the board, to update, it could not read/open files on the floppy disks...

I am not entirely familiar with the use of floppies as it is, so how do I get the right data on these disks to update the board?
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I'm a little late answering this but I'm a new member and just now saw this. I noticed no one has replied yet.
I too am about to update my synthesizer and have downloaded the files.
You must unzip each folder (5 for the V2.0.1 update) and copy just the executable file to the floppy disk for each disk number. You cannot copy
the folders themselves on the disks since the OS cannot open the folders.
You must also format the disks using the FDD or using a PC FDD and format them in MS-DOS format (only format recognizable on floppies).
If you have the CD Drive installed you must use a UDF formatting type
software to format and put readable files to the CD. I found the perfect
software for this.
Hope this helps.
I'm actually updating to the V2.0.2.
Valerios

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, it is possibile to update the OS via the internal CDrom?

i thought it was possibile only via floppy
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Studio Updating Reply with quote

Valerios.

You CAN use the internal CD drive to update but the disc itself MUST be formatted properly using the older UDF format. This can be found online. The Triton Studio manual will indicate which UDF format must be used. I was not able to format a disc using the format feature in Windows Vista which could be read by the Triton Studio operating system. The Roxio Creater program installed in my computer will also not format the disc properly.
Valerios

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i become crazy to find some floppy disk and update mine... if i knew before...!

Anyway, just to share, i insert a DVD R/W from an old notebook that i have and it is working fine from the reading point of view, i'm going to try to backup the ahrd drive today and i will let you know if it work.
thank you for sharing
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Updating Reply with quote

Great news!

Remember to put ONLY the executable (.exe) parts of the files on the disc and not the entire files.

You should have 5 .exe files to run to do the update.

If for some strange reason this does not work, let me know and perhaps we
can get some floppies to you.
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Updating Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, Valerios.

You may have to get more old discs to do the update. One .exe file per
disc may be required unless you will be allowed by the OS to select the file to run each time it calls for the next floppy. If it will not, you won't be able to complete the update unless you erase each file from the disc and copy the next one in sequence until all five files have been run. If you
experience frequent power outages there, I would wait until I had floppies
with all five files (one per floppy) since a power outage would quite possibly render the keyboard inoperative if the updating wasn't finished.

Good luck!!
Valerios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing, i ended up to use some floppy and i updated to the 2.02 by floppy disk.

I will be honest with you... it was damn hard find some floppy to use and also to find a floppy drive!!

I already ordered the floppy usb to emulator, i think i will use that one in the future... unfortunately floppie are out of production!
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Updating Reply with quote

My pleasure! Glad to hear you got the keyboard updated. I hear you about the floppies. I bought a usb floppy drive about 2 years ago and quite a few floppy diskettes. They came in very handy when updating my Trinity and Triton. I also use the FDD to save old files from floppy to PC.
dynagruv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Studio Updating Reply with quote

With all due respect to my fellow Korg Triton users, some of this information doesn't seem to match with what I have come across. I'll grant you the benefit of the doubt in the ability to use the CD/RW-1 for updating the system files, since what you said seems to make sense, at least theoretically, although I'm going to stick with the floppies just to be safe.

The part that doesn't make sense is with the 5 folders containing the update files for OS 2.02e. (I already have OS 2.01, so I needed to use the 2.02e file, according to the instructions). The only file you will encounter that is .exe comes when you unzip the initial download. This .exe file (in my case it's called tnsv202e.exe) is used to create the five folders containing the actual update files that will be copied to the five floppy diskettes. The first folder actually contains two files, and they are not .exe (in fact none of them are), but are .010 files instead. Folders 2-5 contain only one of these .010 files (whereas folder 1 actually has two of them). You were correct to mention that only these files, and not the container (folders) are to be copied to each respective floppy diskette.

I wanted to point this out, just in case some users might be confused, as I was when I first read this thread. Again, I'm not intending to discredit anybody, but only to clarify and be as precise as possible.
dynagruv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Updating the Korg Triton Studio Reply with quote

One more thing worth mentioning about the value of this update. It is supposed to correct problems associated with the CD/RW-1, among other things.

I was experiencing the CD/RW-1 freezing/locking the system at different times, especially when using CD-R media (it seemed?). I'm not sure why, but one theory is that it would happen when the disc was left open. The most recent event was yesterday, when I was actually trying to erase a CD-R that had been formatted for Triton (yes, I know it sounds crazy, but according to the manual you can actually do this, but it will cost you available space each time). Normally I use CD-RW's. Anyways, it froze everything, and I had to use a pen to open/release the door and remove the disc, and then restart the system. I ended up having to discard the disc, because it froze in the middle of a quick formatting (maybe that was my mistake??).

I'll let you know how this update performs after I've had more time playing around with it.

*Remember to follow the detailed instructions found in:

HowToUpdateTritonStudio.pdf
901lonestar555

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall which update I actually used (one of the benefits acquired when reaching the big 60 mark), but I came away with five floppies and each had one executeable file which were used in order (1-5). It worked the way it should for me. I feel that you're having problems with the CD drive. Mine hasn't acted up once yet and hopefully it never will.

Take care all.
insanitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cd's are more complicated when it concerns reading and writing error correction and such. Floppies are very discriminating. Either they will work or they will not.

I recommend to do it as described in the manual. Just buy new floppy discs, format them all and if possible, use a new or lightly used floppy drive which has never touched a dirty floppy to write the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dynagruv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: An update on my UPDATE Reply with quote

I just wanted to stop back by and give another update on how everything played out for me on my recent operating system update on my Triton Studio ST88. I already had OS 2.01, so moving to Ver 2.02 was a minor bug fix for the CD-RW drive. No problem with it since the upgrade and everything works like charm and performs beautifully!! I highly recommend this upgrade, and if you follow the instructions (I used floppy diskettes) it works great! The CD-RW has not frozen since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: