Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum Global volume over PA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirmalc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Wavedrum Global volume over PA Reply with quote

Hi,

Just played 2 gigs where I hooked the Global up to the PA using 1/4" outs. For the first gig, i only used 1 cable because that was all they had extra there. I had the drum volume all the way up and I was cranked on the PA, but could barely hear the WD. So, I bought 2 of my own 1/4", but again today I could barely hear myself when both the drum volume and PA volume were cranked.

A little more info......

The main voices used were djembe (157), quinto (161), timbales hi/low (23), and guiro (26 I think).

For the first gig playing funk/rock/blues, there were 2 guitar amps playing quite loud plus bass and drums, so I thought maybe that was the reason that I couldn't hear the WD. However, the keyboard was direct to the PA. It could be heard just fine.

For the 2nd gig, we were outdoors, there was 1 guitar going into some pedals, then into the PA as well as some backing tracks, no amps. All of this could be heard just fine, but we could barely hear the WD except where there was a break in the music, especially the open tone on the quinto and the slap on the djembe.

Does this drum really require an amp to be heard in a live setting such as these? I was hoping it would allow me to pack less stuff, but if it can't compete without lugging an amp too it may need to be returned. I already have a conga/tumba, blocks and bells, mic, stands, etc that I need to carry. Don't really want to add an amp. Though, I guess if I add timbales, djembe, a quinto, etc. that is more, but I was thinking it would be more of a convenience to have all of those and only timbales would be a necessity for me to add to my existing set.

That being said......

I really don't want to return the drum. I love the possibilities with it. If I did get an amp, what is the best way to blend the WD with acoustic drums? Do you just turn the amp up enough so that it blends with the other drums then run the mics and an out from the amp to the PA? Or, do you run your WD and mics to the amp and skip the PA, or mics and WD to amp and run amp to PA?

Thanks for reading this long post. Just trying to get these things ironed out early so I can start budgeting!!
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could barely hear myself

Could the audience hear you ?
Some unlucky phasing ? was it the sound guy ? Wink
did the drumkit sound "swallow" the percussion sound ?

first aid ?
Arrow Borrow an equalizer foot pedal from your guitarist
and boost and EQ the WD signal .
(and later ask him about Stereo flanger/phaser/delay pedals = Mono In , Stereo Out Cool )
Arrow Global setting : Turn up the output volume and adjust rim and head sensibility

Quote:
2 guitar amps playing quite loud plus bass and drums, so I thought maybe that was the reason that I couldn't hear the WD

Thats really loud ...
how many Watts alltogether ? cranked to 11 ?
You need some kind of monitoring .
in ear headfones (wireless)?

Quote:
Does this drum really require an amp to be heard in a live setting such as these? I was hoping it would allow me to pack less stuff

seems so and even worse :

How do you mic your Congas/Percussions ? 1 Stereo mic , more ?
Do you use "piezo mics" ?
A small mixer could be very very useful. ca 1 Kilogram
both for stage and home recording ( ... + extra cables Wink )

Behringer has a battery powered one (big and quite heavy)
(+ non battery , but smaller and lighter ones )
with 5 mic / stereo line inputs and faders , 2.5 Kg
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_1002_b.htm
+ a smaller monitor (+ stand) 8-10 Kg ?
(the others will not hear you really loud = personal monitoring only )

or an active stage floor monitor (10" ? best = min 12 " speaker ?) 15 kg up
here use the monitor for mixing the signals
and then send out to PA ( XLR balanced out preferred )
This is probably MONO OUT ONLY
STEREO OUT to PA = much better

a mixer imo makes quick sound adjustments easy ,
it has a basic EQ included and a solid headfone out ...
1 (Stereo) output to PA , 1 output to personal monitoring (small)
and still 1 for headfones
martygras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For playing live you really need some sort of monitor system for yourself that you can adjust independently from the feed to the PA.

To feed the PA for a Wavedrum you need a good 2 channel direct box. The sound person will still have to crank the input attenuators fairly high. Make sure they are putting you into mic channels as they have more gain than line level inputs.

Another option is to have a nice (full frequency) amp or small PA just for your sound, like a Roland KC-500 or a Bose L1.
I use the Bose L1 which is very expensive, but replicates the tones of the Wavedrum perfectly.
sirmalc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i posted a long time ago on this but didn't seem to go through. i only use 1 mic on the congas. other percussion cuts through without mics. however, i may want to add some mics in the future. would be nice to have one on each conga and an overhead for bells and blocks.

so, I am going Friday to try a Simmons DA200S that i found online. all reviews of that amp are great. then, i am going to get a mixer and run into that first then the amp. this amp only has 2 channels and no XLR input, so the mixer will be necessary if i want to run my own mix. it does have 2 xlr outs though so i can get into the PA if necessary.

only problem is that i also found a Kaossilator Pro for sale and want that too. only have $300 to spend, so looks like the amp/mixer combo is more important right now. i hate having to prioritize. really wish the global had the mini's looper function or that iKaossilator allowed you to record external audio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: