Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

daft punk bass sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: daft punk bass sound Reply with quote

hi all just another noob type question here but i haven't been able to really find an answer online. Since i got my ms20 mini i've been trying to get that really juicy bass sound like on the daft punk track voyager (http://youtu.be/Dkik97YkiE0?t=32s) and some funkadelic type thing they did (http://youtu.be/vXE3L0uxOU8?t=1m30s). I've gotten somewhat close to the the second one, but i'm really struggling to get a bass tone that i really like, thinking maybe the really juicy sound is due to external processing? makes me wanna get rid of it and get a moog already but there seems to be a lot of potential.

thanks!
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: daft punk bass sound Reply with quote

I'm almost positive that the first bass tone is a resampled (or recorded) electric bass.. try adding in some LFO vibrato, add in some volume dynamic with the envelope, have a little decay on the Low-pass filter; use the high-pass filter's peak to boost some of the bass range, run it into some distortion/amp convolution/saturation afterwards.

Or just find an electric bass line to resample.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: daft punk bass sound Reply with quote

brandon wrote:
makes me wanna get rid of it and get a moog already but there seems to be a lot of potential.!

It's not the synth ! Cool It's about what you can do with it !
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting rid of one synth because you can't emulate a recording is just going to keep you in an endless loop of gear swapping. For one thing, mixing and mastering can change a sound significantly. Another thing is that this might not even be an analog synthesizer. Unless you knew exactly what instrument is being used and the mixing techniques involved, it's impossible to match it 100%.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember listening to this record earlier. Definitely sounds like an electric bass guitar being run through some filter and distortion to kind of try to make it sound like a distorted TB303 character.

A lot of Daft Punk's stuff uses real electric bass guitar afaik.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with the Discovery album especially a great majority of the stuff is modified samples.

Many great french-house artist's use resampling to create their tunes; if you can find one disco or funk tune with a great elec bass solo, sample a bit of it into a sampler instrument then play an entirely new melody from it.

Regarding Voyager in particular, it's based off of a loop of another song-
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/285/Daft%20Punk-Voyager_Oliver%20Cheatham-Get%20Down%20Saturday%20Night/
brandon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies!
and i'm using those as examples, basically i haven't been able to get a bass sound out of the ms20 mini that is "fat" enough for my liking, been a moog lp fan for ages but never broke the bank for one, was thinking the ms20 mini was a good compromise but it hasn't cured that itch lol.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandon wrote:
i haven't been able to get a bass sound out of the ms20 mini that is "fat" enough for my liking, been a moog lp fan for ages but never broke the bank for one, was thinking the ms20 mini was a good compromise but it hasn't cured that itch lol.

Now there's a very old story. I lot of people bought the ms20 in 78 thinking it would be a good cheap Moog substitute only to be disappointed !..
...It was only the first chapter in the story & it took years for the true beast in the ms20 to be fully realized & celebrated.

In fact the only reason that this recreation is a worthwhile & viable product now (35 years on) is because tons of synth heads the world over have been gagging for this kind of thing for years ! Some folks are still waiting for units to arrive in stock. You won't find a more versatile twin osc' monosynth at this price & definitely nothing quite like the ms20.

It's no Moog & never was, never claimed to be. It's a great synth though. Are you processing it through anything other than its own dry signal ?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want Moog and a fat bass try the Sub Phatty.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get a phat/fat/pfat bass out of your MS-20, you're doing it wrong. Hell, I prefer this thing to my Moog Slim Phatty.

Remember, the high pass filter is your friend. Turn the peak all the way up (into self-oscillation); tune the cutoff to the bassiest-fundamental of the root note of your key, cut back a little bit on the peak to taste. Tada!

DrHoo wrote:
Now there's a very old story. I lot of people bought the ms20 in 78 thinking it would be a good cheap Moog substitute only to be disappointed !..

Everyone knows the Korg 800DV/MaxiKorg was the 'poor mans Minimoog,' tsk tsk! If only my father hadn't trashed his Sad
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:

DrHoo wrote:

Everyone knows the Korg 800DV/MaxiKorg was the 'poor mans Minimoog,' tsk tsk! If only my father hadn't trashed his Sad

Ha ha !. Everyone you say !...I didn't know. I bow to your knowledge. 3d Faint
brandon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DrHoo no its just dry, i tell you i'm actually keen to unlock the beast! i'm just a little apprehensive to spend much on outboard gear to go with it to wake up one day like "i want a moog" lol
and cheers to tpantano for the advice!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course there's nothing wrong with the dry signal. Matter of fact i love mine but...

...A little reverb or delay...Or both can go a long way. Weather you're playing an ms20, a sub phatty or any other mono analogue.

Thing about external fx is they can be applied to whatever you want.A universal part of any set up.They can also FATTEN UP an existing sound, add 'air' or thicken the timbre.

If you're getting into synthesis then such an fx unit is inevitable !...Just a matter of time. Unless you want to go for software. Rolling Eyes

Really though ,if you just want to get the most of of the ms20m as it is, just fire it up & get stuck in. There's a trove of mad sounds to be had.
brandon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you're 100% right i could even use delay for my nord electro 3 anyway, while i'm asking what would be something good to start with?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a minibrute - love adding reverb and a bit of delay - works wonders!! Dr Hoo is right, any analogue sound will benefit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: