Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Electribe Tool - Software (Polyphony, Mapper, Sampler)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_INTER_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Korg Electribe Tool - Software (Polyphony, Mapper, Sampler) Reply with quote

Hi guys, I especially registered here to show you the little work I did over the last 3 days. I was occupied writing a simple Java tool (3 days = violate all coding rules Smile )
I've read that many use their Electribe as a sequenzer for external gear these days and I thought it must be restricting that all the Drum Parts are transmitting on one channel only (that is channel 10 by default). So I wrote a MIDI software that is able to route from any out-channel to any in-channel.
This basically grants access to 14 independant voices instead of just 5 + Drums for the sequenzing. You can also transmit multiple parts to one channel,...

I've also tried out routing EMX MIDI back into my EMX which lead to funny results .Endless loops and such e.g Drum Part 1 to Synth Part 1 and Synth1 to Drum1 Wink

It works straight-forward: Download: Korg Electribe Tool v.2.0

1. Connect your MIDI-USB cable to your EMX, other gear and computer. Note that EMX-In should be connected to Cable-Out and EMX-Out to Cable-In.
If you want to use the EMX to sequence another gear: EMX-Out > Cable-In > USB PC > Cable-Out > Gear-In
If you want to use your gear to sequence the EMX: Gear-Out > Cable-In > USB PC > Cable-Out > EMX-In
(I'm not quite sure here, it works like that for me)
2. Start the tool. Windows user can hit KorgElectribeTool.exe or the .jar. Mac-User use the .jar Java file.
3. Go to the 1st "Devices Tab" and choose the correct MIDI interfaces (you can also play PC MIDI Surprised )
4. Go to the 2nd Tab, "Channel Mapping" and choose the desired mapping. Note that the tool does not autodetect the correct settings
for your Drum parts. The default factory values are set. If you ever changed them on your EMX you need to change back or adapt in the tool.
5. Go to the 3rd Tab "Start Mapping" and click Start Mapping. Tap a part and a messages should be displayed in the monitoring table.

Attention: If you the tool doesnt work as intended, try make simple tests first. Eg. use "Microsoft Midi Mapper" as receiving device and dont change the mapping yet. Also if you unplug the MIDI cable the Rescan doesn't register that in any case for some stupid Java reason. Restarting helps then.

The tool is still crude and not all functions are implemented yet (Save, Load,...). However I won't have time for a while to finish it and eliminate all bugs,
I still wanted to show you the result. I also thought of adding additional features like beeing able to sequence a DAW, add samples to the tool directly and play them, play MIDI-files back to the EMX, use the Pitch of Drum Parts to send different notes and finally add polyphony functionality for the EMX by recording samples from the EMX.
This tool might also work for the ESX, I've only tested it for the EMX.
See my next post.

I'd be really glad for anyone else testing my tool, posting comments, constructive critic, posting bugs and change requests in this thread.

Cool

Last edited by _INTER_ on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
_INTER_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyhey I'm back and a lot has happened. I added a feature I was talking about and everyone was probably waiting for: A Polyphony Simulator and Mini Sampler for the Korg EMX.
How does it work? I used another approach like the Electribulator Software (nice one) uses. I use samples, instead of feeding midi signals back to the EMX.

The advantages:
- You get 5 polyphonic voices instead of 1 and you can play them indepenantly
- You can play whatever and how many notes you want, all polyphonic
- You get a Mini Sampler, that means 14 sample voices

The disadvantage:
- You have to record 100 notes or create a "Sample Package", which might take a while.

My tool now comes with a recorder that uses default line in settings. Check your computer > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording (or Run mmsys.cpl) for your recording devices. Best is to set it on "Listen to this device" too see if its working.

To record a package, you need to connect your device you wan't to record (probably the EMX) per MIDI like I described in my first post. For recording it's imported, that your device is choosen for "Midi In" at the "Devices Tab". You also need to connect your device sound output with a AUX cable to your computer or whatever way you want to record sound.
When your connection is setup correctly you can switch over to the "Polyphony Packages" tab. (See image above).
Here you can choose some quality options and timeing settings. I recommend to set the "Rec duration" to 2000 ms and "Rec Delay" to 500 ms. Note that if you choose bigger numbers,
the recording takes longer and the packages become bigger in file size.
If your recording does not work e.g. you get Error Messages, try to change the quality settings. And check Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > Microphone > Properties > Advanced again.
However if your Package got recorded successfully it will appear in the list.

The recorded packages will be placed as .zip files in the "packages" folder. That folder is in the folder you started the KorgElectribeTool.exe from.

(Technical: You can ofcourse Unzip the packages somewhere if you want to get the .wav recording of a certain note. All .wav files end with _xx, where xx is a number from 9 to 108 ( = 100 notes). Check Page 6 in Midi Code.pdf, if you want to figure out what number is what note.)

You can also create sample packages with your own .wav samples. And I even made a Commandline Script that will help you do it. Its easy; just copy the Package Script.exe that you can find in the "Package Script Tool" folder.
Paste it inside a folder where you got up to 100 .wav samples and start it. The script will copy the next maximal 100 .wav files it finds (they can be in folders) and make a .zip Package with them. You can now copy that package into the "packages" folder and it will be loaded once you start the KorgElectribeTool.exe. (Attention: If the .zip has a big file size the FIRST startup might take long because of unzipping)
Just be patient and wait until the program starts.

Now to play a package, you need to proceed like I explained in my first post, however you can choose a sample package at MIDI in (right side). Scroll down below
channel 16 and the packages will appear. Then Start Mapping and playing
:rofl:

Download:
- Korg Electribe Tool v.2.0 (474KB)
- Ghosthack Dupstep.zip (53MB) - Dupstep Sample package for testing. Created with "Package Script Tool". Copy it to your "packages" folder.
- Saw Package.zip (33MB) - Sample Package I recorded from my EMX for testing. Copy it to your "packages" folder.

Attention: If you use the .zip files, the FIRST startup takes forever, be patient. Afterwards it will load immediatley (unless you untick a certain option)

Uff that was a lot of text Very Happy. I'm not sure if this description is understandable. Maybe I should make a video.
You can play around with it. I hope there are no ( = not too many bugs)

Again I'd be glad for any input. So far I've no clue if it works for anyone else.
Razz

Last edited by _INTER_ on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, your work seems very impressive indeed! I am unfortunately unable to test your software myself, due to various issues privately, but I wish you all the best with the further development of your software Very Happy
wax78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about your software and how you deal with polyphony and so on.
I'll have to give it a try when I'll have more time and the emx in front of me as this could be interesting also.

And for the sampler if I understand right, that's the PC and not the emx that play sample ?
_INTER_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh it works very simple really; The program sends midi messages to play all notes of every octave to the Emx / Esx. The groovebox plays them and it will be recorded. In the end you get a .wav for every note and octave that later can be played together if you hit according keys on the Emx.

It sounds the same as if the Emx is playing it, but actually the computer is and the computer can handle playing more than one note (if you hit more than one key on the pad), thus simulating Emx polyphony.

Disadvantage is that you can't change the sound while turning knobs like cutoff of course.

The "sampler" is even more cheap. Playing samples instead of the previously recorded .wav. Any real sampler can do more (but I don't own one so I helped myselfe Smile )

I actually started this project because I wanted to record samples of single notes from Emx. You can easily extract desired .wav file from the zip-Package. I added some features afterwards and have continued refining it some, but I stalled if for now because of lack of interest. I should have made a tutorial video I guess Razz

What I used it for: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48841340/SnowyStreets.mp3
djcactus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wax78 wrote:
I'm curious about your software and how you deal with polyphony and so on.
I'll have to give it a try when I'll have more time and the emx in front of me as this could be interesting also.

And for the sampler if I understand right, that's the PC and not the emx that play sample ?

not to derail the conversation but i have had good results using my esx to play chords in ableton, it will send the note data, though no velocity. the hardware itself is monophonic, but it will still send polyphonic note data.
wax78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure the emx keyboard is not sensitive to "pression" ^^
_INTER_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wax78 wrote:
For sure the emx keyboard is not sensitive to "pression" ^^

The mighty wax78 from Electribulator? You having a look at my noob program? Embarassed
wax78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's me. And no, not yet, but I don't forget to test it for sure it's always interesting.
Scratch_US

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought an EMX and think this project is great. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: