Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg ms-20 mini in logic pro x / ableton live / etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vollpflock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: korg ms-20 mini in logic pro x / ableton live / etc. Reply with quote

Hello everyone
Pardon if I ask a question which someone else has already asked - but I couldn't find an answer to it in what I read in this forum. I don't know much about analog synths, so I think this is the right spot to ask:
I consider buying a korg ms 20 mini and I wonder, if it is possible to record the sounds I do in Logic Pro X. I already heard that the USB/Midi-Output only can send note-on/note-off commands - but I don't really know what that means. Does that mean that it can only receive the notes but not the dynamic changes that can be made with the many buttons/controllers/cables (sry, I don't know the correct technical terms) the korg-ms-20 mini has? Is it possible to at least then record the whole sound as an audio-file? As I like to do music I also want to record it and work with it. Otherwise maybe the korg legacy collection with the suitable controller would be a better choice - but honestly I'd rather use the analog synth. I have a mac book pro and an audio-interface.

Thank you very much
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can record the audio out of the MS20.

You can also record as midi the midi note on and note off messages from the keyboard, the knobs do not send midi messages.

You can send midi note on and note off messages to the MS20 to play it but you cannot control the knobs by sending midi messages to it.
vollpflock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. So can I assume that it is possible to record the sound as I hear it (the hole, that means including the dynamic changes by the knobs) only as audio? So as a result I have an audio-track in logic and not a midi-track. How can I do that? I assume that just connecting the midi-output of the synth to the midi-input of my audio interface doesn't do that, as you mentioned that the knobs do not send midi signals.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI is a data protocol that allows you to record performance data. That performance data can then be played back to the synthesizer, or even to a different one or a soft synth, in order to get it to play the same 'performance', although the sound can be different.

It basically consists of messages like 'Play note 56 with an intensity of 100', 'Stop playing note 27', 'Turn know 45 to value 80', 'change to preset number 12', etc. It does not carry any sound.

And on the MS20-Mini, the knobs do not transmit any messages, so you can't use them to adjust parameters on a softsynth or to automate motion of the knobs in a sequence (we call the recording and playback of MIDI, 'sequencing'). It only does the notes from the keyboard really.

If you want to record the performance out of a MS20 (or most other synths), exactly as you hear it, in a repeatable form without having to have the hardware or any software present, you need to record the audio signal. The USB on the MS20 Mini doesn't allow you to do that either. You need to hook up the audio output from the MS20 to the audio input(s) on your audio interface, and record it in exactly the same way you would a guitar or any other line instrument.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
vollpflock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That was exactly what I was wondering about. So the difference between the korg ms-20 mini and the korg ms-20 legacy controller is, that one is a synth and the other one a midi controller, which means that with the mini I also can't control the knobs in the legacy collection software. That would be a nice feature though! As I heard many people criticize the noise in the background of the mini. Is it really that disturbing? For recording-purposes only would you recommend to buy the mini or the legacy controller?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vollpflock wrote:
Thank you. That was exactly what I was wondering about. So the difference between the korg ms-20 mini and the korg ms-20 legacy controller is, that one is a synth and the other one a midi controller, which means that with the mini I also can't control the knobs in the legacy collection software. That would be a nice feature though! As I heard many people criticize the noise in the background of the mini. Is it really that disturbing? For recording-purposes only would you recommend to buy the mini or the legacy controller?

Definitely the mini. The controller needs to be connected to a pc/mac to utilize the software, whereas the mini can be enjoyed alone or with a computer. Also the hardware is completely faithful and true to the original.
Regarding noise, almost any analog equipment will produce some. Its part of the flavor of the gear. For instance I own a minibrute; the noise is there but barely noticeable. I believe most say the same thing about the ms20.
vollpflock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the hints. Today I bought a korg ms 20 mini and I am very satisfied so far. It's definitely another feeling to have an analog synth instead of a legacy-controller. The price is right and I can recommend the ms20mini.
el_hombre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, you're gonna have a lot of fun with this, vollpflock!
Be prepared to wind up in entirely different destinations than you were planning to, but expect to have a lot of fun along the way:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: