Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After 2.1 Upgrade - Clock Battery Needs Replacement - HOW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically...yes it will.
However,Korg may set that aside if no other problems occur in doing so,but will be at their discretion.

Just some thoughts....
I don't think the battery replacement itself would come under warranty as it's usually a "consumable" item,but perhaps the service center would do so if the unit was in for repair,as
a goodwill gesture.
Can't help wondering if there will be a load of Kronos soon be going into service centers just for battery replacement....or...as many keyboards would be out of warranty by then,some owners may attempt doing so themselves, which could possibly lead to other problems for those who get it wrong etc.

No doubt we shall get some useful feedback from owners here,in due course. Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Does replacing the battery yourself void the warranty?

yes, technically it does.

However , we are discussing this user work in the context of +2 year old Kronos' here in the US.
TheWolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as Dan has mentioned many times, there are no user serviceable parts inside the Kronos. So, for replacing the battery, you should bring or send the Kronos to a service centre. Opening your Kronos yourself may void the guarantee -- especially if there are obvious traces of incompetent tampering. Theoretically.

But as we all know, theory and practice are the same only in theory but not in practice.

So, as long as you do everything carefully and correctly without causing any new issues and leaving no evident traces, you should be fine. Consider using an anti-static grounding strap to be on the safe side. Use wooden toothpicks instead of a metal screw driver to get the old battery out of its socket.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWolf wrote:
Well, as Dan has mentioned many times, there are no user serviceable parts inside the Kronos. So, for replacing the battery, you should bring or send the Kronos to a service centre. Opening your Kronos yourself may void the guarantee -- especially if there are obvious traces of incompetent tampering. Theoretically.

But as we all know, theory and practice are the same only in theory but not in practice.

So, as long as you do everything carefully and correctly without causing any new issues and leaving no evident traces, you should be fine. Consider using an anti-static grounding strap to be on the safe side. Use wooden toothpicks instead of a metal screw driver to get the old battery out of its socket.

Latin and I are Kronos friends and I have worked on his 73 Kronos which is 2 years old.

I went to Global to review the battery clock info. It stated May 13, 2009 which was odd , given this 73 is only 2 years old.

I decided to reset/advance the clock date to Dec 31, 2010. Global accepted this new date info.

Rebooted the 73 and the low battery/voltage pop up warning disappeared.

I decided to not replace the Cr2032 low voltage battery . My theory is that the software sensed that old ( 4.5 yrs) clock date and initiated the pop up warning.

I also think the warning is incorrect. I did not want to ' fix ' something that is not potentially ' broken '.

I don't believe this Kronos is actually 4.5 years ' old '. I think that old date is some type of placeholder date that originated in a component/OS programming back in the factory. Also, I think its relevant that no other + 2 year Kronos owner has initiated a post topic like this ( on the low volt/replace battery pop up warning).

I am open to any advice from folks owners familiar with Unix or more knowledgeable.
TheWolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your hypothesis may to be correct -- with some caveat (see below). I just set the date of my Kronos X way back into the past, rebooted and -- lo and behold! -- my spanking brand new Kronos claimed that the battery is low and needs to be replaced by a Korg service centre. Resetting the date to the current one, made the warning about the low battery disappear after the next reboot.

The 2.1.0 update checks the current date set in the Kronos. If the current date is earlier than Tue Oct 1 04:31:11 UTC 2013, it resets that date before continuing with the update. So, Korg apparently expected some machines to have an incorrect date.

So, if the warning about the internal battery being low appears, check the current date setting first and reset if necessary. The claim about the battery being low may indeed be spurious. However: if you get the same warning again after a few days or weeks, then your battery is indeed low -- causing the clock to lose its time from time to time while the Kronos is disconnected from AC power.
princeabo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: replacement of korg M50 battery Reply with quote

please, i want to replace my Korg M50 battery but am finding it difficult locate where the battery is located. someone should kindly direct me.
thanks.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWolf wrote:
The battery is there to keep the CMOS clock on the motherboard running while the power is switched off. If the battery is dead, then the clock will start with the same time whenever the Kronos is switched on. As a consequence, the timestamps of everything you save to disk will be incorrectly set to a date way in the past -- unless you set the date and time manually every time after you have switched on your Kronos.

That's all correct. The date and time matter for files on disk, both for general housekeeping (it's nice to know when files are from, especially when there are multiple versions of the file) and for User Sample Banks in particular (If there are multiple User Sample Banks on internal disks with the same ID, the one with the most recent modification date one will be used - see the Operation Guide "User Sample Banks" section for more info).

GregC wrote:
My theory is that the software sensed that old ( 4.5 yrs) clock date and initiated the pop up warning.

That's correct. The clock battery voltage is not sensed directly, but instead inferred from its symptom: if the voltage is too low to sustain the clock, then the clock reverts to its default earliest date, back in 2009. No KRONOS should ever have had a current date in 2009, so if that's the case, it's assumed that the battery has failed. However, the message will also appear if the date is inadvertently set to 2009 (and I agree that this is non-optimal).

If you see the message, reset your clock to the current date. If the message recurs after that, then the battery needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
latnjazfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum Friends: Thanks for all of the information!!

I reset the Kronos clock and the message didn't reoccur.

So I guess everything is fine for now.
Stephen Butler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Folk:

If you are reading this far in the future, I'm sure your historians will have told you about the Covid-19 pandemic which raged across the world, writing this year off completely, and liable to do the same throughout much of next year (2021) as well.

My Kronos has been a great friend to me over this period they call 'lockdown' here in the UK - indeed, I've had mine since September 2012, some eight years ago, and I think I have had it on (matron!) every day since then. My Kronos and I have been through a lot together.

But, just yesterday, I got the first reminder that nothing lasts forever, that age creeps up on us all, when a notice appeared on my screen indicating that the internal battery was on its way out, and I should change the date back and possibly think about replacing the battery.

This came after, for the first time, my Kronos made a much louder gear-crunching sound than usual while booting up, and finally the splash screen froze with a small message about the system having failed.

I had to switch the thing off, and restart it, after which it was fine, other than this message. I reset the time and date on the workstation.

This morning, unfortunately, I have had to go through precisely the same routine again; if anything, the crunching noise was even worse than yesterday. I do not expect this situation to get any better, and am wondering whether to book my baby in for surgery, and whether the said surgery will cost more than it is justifiable to do so.

I realise some of this is a bit beyond the scope of this thread's topic, but all of this seemed to happen at once, just yesterday.

Just FYI, I'm going to miss my Kronos not being there, even for just a few days, but it is beginning to become necessary, I fear.

I do hope that all of those who participated in this thread of seven years ago are still with us, and can offer a thought as to whether it might be financially more prudent to change the battery or get a new synth, in view of the fact that, due to my Kronos' advanced years, this may be the first of many such medical issues to hit my Kronos.

I have recorded more than 1,900 songs and bits of music on this behemoth, and from the day I bought it, I knew that the Kronos and I would be BFF. To this day, there has not been a keyboard or workstation that can surpass it - not even the big soft shandy-drinking baby keyboard they call the Nautilus. I hope more than I have hoped for anything before that this Nautilus thing will not even think about replacing the Kronos.

Well, I shall sign 'Off' now, the basic message of this post is I think my battery is stuffed and is it worth replacing it?

Cheers,
Stephen x

www.vipersquadron.com
www.stephen-butler.com
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery replacement is relatively straightforward, although it involves removing most of the bottom screws. The battery lives on the computer motherboard inside the Kronos, and is an easily obtainable CR2032.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Butler wrote:
This came after, for the first time, my Kronos made a much louder gear-crunching sound than usual while booting up, and finally the splash screen froze with a small message about the system having failed.

Hi Stephen,

Hard to tell without actually hearing it, but the gear crunching sound you mention is likely to be the internal fan slowly giving up. If there is nothing else, I can tell you it is definitely worth going ahead with the repairs. Remember that the Kronos is actually a specialized computer more than a conventional synth.

I have replaced batteries and fans in "old" computers and then they can last several more years after that. So once these repairs are done, you can continue to enjoy your Kronos. If you don't feel at ease fixing this yourself, a tech from a service center can do this in an hour or less. And those two parts are not very expensive, so it is worth trying it IMHO. Keep us posted about your Kronos. Stay safe and hope to read you again soon. Cool
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Kronos battery replacement and Polyphonic AT upgrade Reply with quote

Getting rid of a working Kronos due to the message coming up you need to replace the battery on the motherboard is a bit like getting rid of the fastest car made just because the tires are worn out... except the cost is much lower especially if you do the replacement yourself. The battery in my KronosX is over 10 years old and I just got the message coming up this week which brought me here. So I'll be looking at replacing the fan as well with a quieter one taking advantage of opening it up as it's always been too noticeable up against a wall in a quiet room using open back headphones.

But don't feel bad, I know of an 88 Key KronosX sitting next to an 88 key Triton Pro sitting next to a 61 key M1 with all in need of the battery being replaced.... except the Triton doesn't have a battery and the owner just assumed it did and when the Kronos battery went flat he assumed his much older Triton was in the same state. And making the illusion worse when his M1 battery died it lost it's sounds as a result and he assumed they were all in the same state and would soon have no sounds as well. He replaced the battery in the M1 himself only to learn he also needed to reinstall the sounds which requires the M1 MPC-00P Pre-load Data Memory Card no longer available, or a computer with an MPU 401 midi interface or compatible sound card, or another solution to connect a midi cable to a computer and upload the program data off the Internet. He's a bit of a caveman and one of those guys that never embraced the computer age and relies on his cell phone instead. He lives over 2000 miles away from me now otherwise I'd have helped him out and upgraded his KronosX with the sub system update every KronosX owner should take advantage of.

So the Kronos battery is a small issue compared to the M1. However with PolyAT and midi 2 finally available with Korg's name on it after over a decade the Kronos is finally becoming outdated.... UNLESS Korg offers Kronos owners the ability to have their Kronos keybed upgraded as Korg did for the Nautilus to add Polyphonic Aftertouch.... or rather PolyTouch as ASM calls it. Since Korg is now licensing ASM's excellent PolyTouch (which has release velocity) this seems like a real possibility. At any rate I'm fairly certain that Korg's next flagship workstation replacing the Kronos will have Poly AT with Release Velocity and surpass the Kronos beyond any keyboard made to date.

What was once wishful thinking is becoming reality showing it really is getting better all the time. You just have to wait it out in good faith and pay attention... it works so far as far as I can see despite a few bumps in the road getting from there to hear. (e{a})/t=E

Last edited by John Hendry on Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
kday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever your battery wears out, and you replace it with a new battery you must reset the time clock in the Kronos to eliminate the Battery Low indicator still coming up after replacing the old battery.

I replaced the old battery for a new one after the first original battery wore out, and still got the "battery low" indicator saying my new battery was also low. I knew a new battery couldn't be low. So I ended up replacing the new battery to put in another new battery thinking the first new battery could've been dead possibly, and still got the battery low message. This is how I discovered that the clock has to be changed/reset whenever you replace the battery or maybe update the OS.

It's a hard lesson to learn and Korg doesn't tell anyone about this because they don't support user battery replacements to make that announcement, but Korg and service centers does know that if you don't reset the system clock, the message will not go away after replacing an old dead battery.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Kronos X fan replacement with battery Reply with quote

Yes I know but thanks, my date is showing 2009 so will get a resent dated CR2032 and check it with an accurate multi-meter just to be safe. Since I'll have it apart, I've been looking at the main thread on replacing the Kronos fan and it's 24 pages going back well over a decade. Lots of ideas and experiments but no mention of 14.7 psi atmospheric air pressure at sea level and how a fan moving air in an enclosed area creates a low-pressure area that acts like a suction cup which will hold heat in as it increases unable to vent out.

Korg added vent holes on top rear section solving the problem on later Kronos models after the original Kronos and the KronosX, but that solution allows water or beer spilled on it to get inside so I don't mind adding two holes on the bottom for a filtered air intake on one side and an exhaust fan on the other to circulate air keeping internal pressure equal and avoid the heat buildup I'm seeing. So based on what I've read so far looks like I'll be adding a quite 5v CPU fan, a few passive heat sinks, and a lower volume CFM rubber mounted 12v fan replacing the stock fan cooling the SSD assisted by an additional exit fan to quite it down while improving cooling by letting the warm air out and stopping the heat buildup.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Kronos, and Kronos X, could hardly be described as hermetically sealed units, with equally tightly sealed internal compartments. Far from it. The main apertures for air movement into, or out of the instrument, are around the keybed, between the keys, and also the slots forming the slider apertures and, to a lesser extent, the button apertures. In addition to this, the metal case of the Kronos itself acts as a heatsink, with internal air coming into contact with the case and being cooled. The temperature of the case will be a reasonable indicator of the temperature of the air inside the Kronos. My Kronos X case barely gets warm to the touch, so around 30 degC. The internal fan facilitates air movement around the interior of the case and, by this process, generates small pressure differentials internally, which have a tendency to draw outside air in through one half of the keyboard, and other apertures, and then out again through the other half. Thermal images of the Kronos suggest this is indeed what happens.

The Kronos and Kronos X or, inded, the later Kronii, are not perfectly engineered to optimally move air around components that require cooling, but it seems to get by just fine. The stock fan was rather noisy, so that got changed quite early on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: