Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regarding modifying the monotron or montribe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Regarding modifying the monotron or montribe Reply with quote

O.K Korg users, circuit benders & monotron/tribe users. With the introduction of the Volca series i have found that it has sparked my interest in the monotron & monotribe again. I have decided to start stocking up on pcb components so that this winter i can get modding , starting with the monotron.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron on pcb's & make a good enough job but my technical knowledge is only that of a novice, so i want to ask a novice question !

I know that the solder on the monotron & monotribe is lead free. I have only ever soldered with lead-tin flux core before & have some good solder that i trust to use...

SO CAN I USE MY LEAD-TIN 60/40 ON THE LEAD FREE BOARD OR IS IT IMPERATIVE TO STAY WITH LEAD FREE SOLDER ? Do they mix or is it best avoided ??

Wha' d' ya say ? Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
button

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero understanding of modding but I do know I want a version of the delay and duo together (or even all three), rehoused in a new box minus the ribbons, just the knobs with midi and extra controls. Perhaps join the pcbs/dials into a cheap basic midi keyboard.
I'd buy? that... hop to it! Wink

Last edited by button on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Yoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding modifying the monotron or montribe Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
I know that the solder on the monotron & monotribe is lead free. I have only ever soldered with lead-tin flux core before & have some good solder that i trust to use...

SO CAN I USE MY LEAD-TIN 60/40 ON THE LEAD FREE BOARD OR IS IT IMPERATIVE TO STAY WITH LEAD FREE SOLDER ? Do they mix or is it best avoided ??

Having modded a monotron, I can say with certainty that your 60/40 will be fine. The only issue is you have to comply with the usage standards of lead-free (higher heat, longer times), which can cause bleeding (overmelting) of your 60/40. But, in general, you'll be fine.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Kinda thought it would be ok.
The marked mod points on the monotron are bare copper anyway so i don't see an issue there. I just wondered in case i have to start soldering to factory soldered areas.
I'm open to idea's too if anyone has any...Spotted this & thought it was very well done http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-57134.html

Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea

Edit. I went & got some lead free solder anyway. I'm still interested in other monotron modders though. There seems to enough of them dispersed around the web but with it being a korg product, it would make sense to have information here. It might be the first place some people look !
Yoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modded my monotron so much that it's barely even a monotron. Cool

I turned mine into a modular synth. The main oscillator now has 8 waveforms, 4 with CV control, as well as attenuated FM inputs. There's also a sub-oscillator with 3 waveforms, selectable -1 or -2 octaves. 2 gate inputs replace the LPG gate signal within the monotron, and is equipped with dual ASR's. The LFO has 5 waveforms and ditched the intensity control (not very useful in a modular). The VCF has CV control over both cutoff and resonance, as well as an amplified input for those gritty distorted sounds. I also added a simple 2-transistor VCA, similar to the MS-20. There's also a few utilities, like a mixer, manual voltage generators, stuff like that.

I have no pics as of yet because I'm still working on adding noise and a sample&hold circuit, and maybe seeing if I can tap the filter to get different filter types out of it, like highpass or bandpass. If you want to know how to do some of these mods, just ask. I'll post schematics n stuff. They're fairly simple mods, really.

As you can well imagine, it doesn't really run on batteries anymore. But, it does sound like a Korg... to a degree.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo !, Sounds awesome. I think that any schematics & photo's on here would be helpful.

My current plan is more simple. I'm going to build a little break out box for the pitch c.v, filter cut off c.v, & gate.
It's going to have 3x 1/4" jack sockets, a switch for switching the cut off/keyboard tracking on & off, & two pots, one for setting the pitch-in & one for the filter cut off amount.
It's based on two slightly different schematics. One from 'DIN SYNC' ( http://www.dinsync.info/2010/06/how-to-modify-korg-monotron.html ) & one from the guy at electro music.com. ( I posted a link in one of my previous posts here) The second one added a 1 meg pot to the cut off in line.

I'm going to use the 4 pin mini din connector for that little box.

I would do more but the components on the pcb are so tiny & easy to ruin. I did attempt the resonance mod on my monotron delay but i bottled out before i made a mess....Maybe some time in the future !

Also, i'm not clear on what ALL of the mod points are for exactly. I'm learning but at this stage i'm all eyes & ears. When i mod the first one i'll post some results & findings on here.
button

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/05/19/the-korg-megatron-monotron-mod/
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K so i did it.... It works !

[img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/img]
[img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com
[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com
[img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com Cool [/img]
Yoa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! What made you prefer a breakout box instead of just adding controls and jacks to the unit itself?

DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Really i was being cautious & sensible. My first monotron modding. Also the size restriction, there's only 4 wires & the din socket in the unit so it's not very messy in there. The box i made up has easy access & if it needs altering i can get at it without risk of hurting the korg board. I made a few first time errors too while soldering the box & if that had been the monotron i might have damaged it. Future versions will be easier now i know the territory.
I can take the break out box to say ,a monotron delay (Which i've got) & in theory trigger that on its own (Not yet modded the delay) or to another standard monotron in the future.
That's the idea anyway & now i've been in & got a feel for it all, i might formulate a plan for something more elaborate.
I'd really like to make up a new box & put it all in that for tidiness & space saving so maybe next time eh ! Idea
button

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still don't understand this breakout box, what is this triggering you speak of? do you control it from a midi keyboard plugged into the breakout box? how are you using it in a musical sense?
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

button wrote:
i still don't understand this breakout box, what is this triggering you speak of? do you control it from a midi keyboard plugged into the breakout box? how are you using it in a musical sense?

Right'o button. Sorry if it's over your head. This one's for you http://www.suonoelettronico.com/articolo_dettaglio.asp?categoria=electronic&titolo=Interfacing%20old%20analog%20monosynth,%20convert%20Cv,%20Trig,%20Gate%20circuit.

Don't be confused about me though, i'm no tech wizard myself. Just had some experience over the last few years with kits & circuit bending & have the desire to learn. Confused Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: