Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Keys issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOOS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Volca Keys issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought a Keys second hand (because i can't seem to get them in europe these days)

maybe i am unfamiliar with how it works, but i think there is something wrong with my module

Sometimes, when i adjust certain things (sustain and decay as example), it won't react until i hit another note. is this normal? or have i been ripped of?

Cheers
LOOS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be clear,

This happened last time when i was adjusting sustain.
The adjustments did not happen until i played another note (the device was getting a MIDI clock input, not sure if that could have anything to do with it)

Could someone tell me if this is something normal in certain situations, or just malfunction?

Also, i can't motion sequence my peak level, is this supposed to be like that?
hjulskov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOS wrote:
to be clear,

This happened last time when i was adjusting sustain.
The adjustments did not happen until i played another note (the device was getting a MIDI clock input, not sure if that could have anything to do with it)

Could someone tell me if this is something normal in certain situations, or just malfunction?

Also, i can't motion sequence my peak level, is this supposed to be like that?

Yes, both "features" sounds normal.
Changes to eg. EG will not have effect before a new note is played.
The peak cannot be motion recorded.

Hope this makes you sleep well Very Happy
LOOS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Thanks a lot for the reply.

I should start getting more into the synthesis/electronic schedule thing of synths, so i know this before buying Smile
JSZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quick question about the Keys, didn't feel like it needs its own thread so I'll ask here:

My Volca Keys is constantly outputting a very high frequency peak somewhere around 20kHz. Can't be heard as such of course but creates problems when pitch shifting on the Octatrack for example. Can someone verify if this is normal behaviour? I also have the Beats and have no such problem with that.
Athlor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSZ - I have never heard of this, myself. Did you verify it with a scope? It's curious but this is analog and pitch shifting could be caused by drifting, the autotuning not right or an artifact of a particular filter setting. I'm just throwing it out here.

LOOS - As been posted, this is normal. Technically the Keys is polyphonic but only paraphonic with all oscillators running through one filter and envelope generator. The new Moog Moog Sub 37 and a few other synths have this same problem/feature. So we're still in good company. To play real polyphony notes and expect each one to sound exactly the same you can't utilize an envelope on the notes. No attack or decay, plenty of sustain. It's much more limiting but possible.
JSZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Athlor for your response. I was a bit unclear; by pitch shifting I meant when I sample the Keys and then pitch shift the sample (iirc it is more noticeable when shifting up a few semitones rather than down) on the OT, I get an unexpected noise which I believe is due to aliasing but I'm really not an expert with this technical stuff.

I can get rid of it by filtering the input prior to sampling. Not ideal but not really a biggie either, only problem is remembering to set the filter up every time.

Here's a pic:
Punkmati

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, both "features" sounds normal.
Changes to eg. EG will not have effect before a new note is played.
The peak cannot be motion recorded.

Hope this makes you sleep well

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but I'm facing the same problema as LOOS.
What I realize is that it only happens on Unison, Octave, Fifth and Unison Ring (I dont remember right know what happen in Poly Ring mode).
Let me tell you what I do, I secuence some notes and applying some filtering there, when I touch the Sustain it's like everything stops (sometime it can be heard like a whisper of the secuence, like really down) if you stop and starts everything sound normal, or if you hit one note. Also sometime you move the Sustain and nothing happens (no effect), you hit a note and you hear the sustain applied to the sequence. I don't know, I'm a newbie but this makes me crazy.

If this is normal Athlon, what is the approach? Not to touch any EG parameters when you have a sequence in the modes I listed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: