Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 sync with Cubase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Korg M50 sync with Cubase Reply with quote

Hi, is there a way to send the midi tracks inside the workstation directly into Cubase for mixing?

I have recorded a few midi track inside the M50's sequencer and I was wondering if I can send out each midi track into Cubase audio track 1,2,3,4 etc. Wouldn't it be easier to just sync all the midi tracks inside the workstation into Cubase? I don't really want to record all over again inside Cubase.

I have downloaded the M50 plugin editor assigned to an VST instrumental track in Cubase, but unsure how to do the rest. Would greatly appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the plugin editor at all for this.

What you do need to do is set the M50 into External Clock mode so that it syncs with Cubase.

You also need to set up the Transport and Sync in Cubase to make sure it is sending MIDI Clock and Start/Stop messages to the M50.

Then solo each track and record them one by one in to audio tracks on Cubase. When Cubase starts recording it should send a Start message to the M50 which will also start playing. It helps to have a bar or two of silence at the start of your sequence to allow any initial irregularities in the clock sync to stabilise.

You'll need the M50's outputs hooked up to your USB/FireWire/ThunderBolt audio interface or the Line In on your computer's soundcard.
Note that the M50's built in USB allows MIDI control (telling it what notes to play, clock sync, start/stop, patch editing, etc.) but does not carry the actual audio signals over to the computer.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Chaos27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You don't need the plugin editor at all for this.

What you do need to do is set the M50 into External Clock mode so that it syncs with Cubase.

You also need to set up the Transport and Sync in Cubase to make sure it is sending MIDI Clock and Start/Stop messages to the M50.

Then solo each track and record them one by one in to audio tracks on Cubase. When Cubase starts recording it should send a Start message to the M50 which will also start playing. It helps to have a bar or two of silence at the start of your sequence to allow any initial irregularities in the clock sync to stabilise.

You'll need the M50's outputs hooked up to your USB/FireWire/ThunderBolt audio interface or the Line In on your computer's soundcard.
Note that the M50's built in USB allows MIDI control (telling it what notes to play, clock sync, start/stop, patch editing, etc.) but does not carry the actual audio signals over to the computer.

Thanks. I have some questions.

1. In SEQ mode I go to the song I want to sync. I click page select and then under the play/rec control I have it assign to external. The setup is set to Cubase. There's midi and audio level. Which one do I choose?

2. You said the Korg M50 will not transfer audio, but then you also said to create audio track in Cubase to start recording one by one. M50 do not transfer audio?

Right, so under play/record control I have tried assigning the M50 to both midi and audio level and enabled the 'sync' in Cubase transport panel but I don't see changes in Cubase tempo correspond to the M50's tempo. Nothing is sync.

I was thinking of using the plugin on an VST instrument inside Cubase and route all the stereo out to it's own midi channel but the plugin couldn't do this. Sad

Motif6, Motif XS7, Roland Fantom G6, Korg M50.

Saffire Pro 14.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the plugin is just an editor to let you save your settings and etc. it doesn't really help in this task at all;.

You do as I said need to hook the M50's audio outputs up to your computer somehow - traditionally using a USB or FireWire audio interface or soundcard. Then you would record the M50 audio from the inputs on that.

With regards to syncing up M50 and Cubase, you need to go into the M50's global settings and set Sync to EXT(ernal). If you've done that right then the tempo readout should be blank or at least not show a number.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Chaos27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
No, the plugin is just an editor to let you save your settings and etc. it doesn't really help in this task at all;.

You do as I said need to hook the M50's audio outputs up to your computer somehow - traditionally using a USB or FireWire audio interface or soundcard. Then you would record the M50 audio from the inputs on that.

With regards to syncing up M50 and Cubase, you need to go into the M50's global settings and set Sync to EXT(ernal). If you've done that right then the tempo readout should be blank or at least not show a number.

I have a firewire interface. Everything is set up properly but I don't want to record audio one by one all over again. I already have it recorded in the M50 SEQ. I couldn't find where in the global settings I must set it to sync. I've read the manual but it doesn't say anything about syncing.

Saffire Pro 14.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to record each track one by one again because the M50 has no audio export or multichannel audio (or even single channel audio) interface built in.

If you don't want to do any mixing in the DAW and are entirely happy with the finished sound then you could just record the stereo mix back to one track. Otherwise you will have to solo the tracks and record one by one. That's the only way.

As for sync. It's usually under Global > MIDI > Clock. I don't have an M50 so can't tell you exactly.
Chaos27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You will have to record each track one by one again because the M50 has no audio export or multichannel audio (or even single channel audio) interface built in.

If you don't want to do any mixing in the DAW and are entirely happy with the finished sound then you could just record the stereo mix back to one track. Otherwise you will have to solo the tracks and record one by one. That's the only way.

As for sync. It's usually under Global > MIDI > Clock. I don't have an M50 so can't tell you exactly.

I see your point. I'll try to solo each track and record them back in Cubase.

Thanks X-Trade.

Saffire Pro 14.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: