Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to find a similar beat pattern to this link below

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Trying to find a similar beat pattern to this link below Reply with quote

It's a Christian Hillsong

http://youtu.be/SQDjLphA-iE
If you listen to the bongos
I would appreciate if I could get a similar sound on my Krome
In the pattern section
I don't know where to start
What beat what kit?

Any help would be appreciated
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[See my reply at previous post]

I play this one at my church so i'm familiar with it, but I'm not hearing "bongos". There's a triplet figure (8th or 16ths in 12/8) being played on low tom at about the two minute mark, tho' -- Aussie version of Lion King!? It's actually an adaptation of typically Celtic "bodhran" part and it's used fairly frequenty in the current crop of Hillsong tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMI4X8OOMOg

If that's the one you're looking for there are a couple of approaches to try.

You can get the triplet figure if you are playing the tom part by using the BPM Delay or the Pattern Delay (with BPM control) in the IFX section. You'll want to experiment with the pattern and resolution (quantize) variables. You could put it at one end or the other of your keyboard to play it live which means that you could opt not to play it at some point without resorting to an on-off switch or a button push mid-song.

You might be able to get it out of a drum track, using a combination of the range limit - to isolate 4x4 bass drum pattern - transposition - to move the 4x4 up to play the low-tom - and IFX - to add triplet delay at the resolution needed.

If you're wanting a continuous background thing (arp in a combi), try the user-single-drum kit suggested in the other post, with the arp resolution set to eighth or sixteenth triplets against a slow rock 4/4 bass/snare part.

There are already "All BD" and "All Snare" kits in the pre-sets, but you might want to look at compiling an "all low tom" kit that pulls toms from several sources. Remember that tuning will make a big difference in how some of these drums sound and don't forget to look at world samples like "taiko" for additional possibilities.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
morty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Im relativly new to the Krome Reply with quote

First of all thanks Bill for your response....Bill you said

If you're wanting a continuous background thing (arp in a combi), try the user-single-drum kit suggested in the other post, with the arp resolution set to eighth or sixteenth triplets against a slow rock 4/4 bass/snare part.

can you elaborate in laymans terms

I was looking for a pattern in program mode just passable to the sound and tempo it doesn't have to be perfect, because I am midi in 2 keyboard sound modules and playing the Krome piano as well (as simple as possible please)

I never use drums on this machine except for jammimg at home

thanks
steve
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

First, the pattern you are trying to make is a triplet figure on low toms.

You can play this figure (your hand) or have it played for you (by the arpeggiator) so you need to decide which to do.

By hand: You can put the drum into the left hand and play it yourself as a multi-tap style delay-based triplet, the delay can be synced to BPM tempo so as you play the accented rhythm in the piano that the drums will follow more exactly what you play. Piano: full range - your FX settings, low tom (only): bottom of range w/ triplet multi tap or pattern delay, BPM (MIDI) synced. Toms play as long as you play LH, and will follow dynamics of piano (loud/soft).

Auto: Piano: full range, Lo-Toms: Arp limited to isolate 1/4 or 1/8th note pulse (i.e., 4x4 bass drum, then tuned up to play low tom or played on tom-only kit) with triplet multi-tap as before. Toms play only when arp is active, but do not follow what you play (rhythmically) but have a more constant pattern and volume. Advantage is that you can turn the toms on and off as needed.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two previous solutions work in Combi mode.

To stay in program mode you'd pretty much have to use the drum track in order to have a second element playing toms. So the trick would be to find a triplet based drum track - maybe one of the "african" or "world" patterns - triplets regardless of what specific drums are playing because you'll use your "all-toms" kit. You can carve down the pattern by limiting the drums (of the complex pattern) to just the ones necessary to play the triplet, or by making your "all-toms" kit just the few notes needed to be played by 1 or two out of several notes of the drum track, again so that all the notes of the triplet figure are covered.

I don't know if drums can have their own IFX on Krome -- if they can then the multi tap delay, pattern delay, or BPM sync'd delay might get you the appropriate triplet figure as well even from just a simple 4x4 or 8th note pulse.

BB

morty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Thanks Bill Reply with quote

I don't think I have an "all toms kit"
and don't have a world pattern
but Ill try to find something with a triplet pattern
thanks
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All toms" would be a USER kit you construct - per post on your other 'bongos' thread here. Kit would be just 5 or 6 toms spread over the entire keyboard. Any pattern or drum track you play with it is gonna be translated to "just toms" so, regardless of what drum a note is nominally programmed to play (i.e., Bass Drum) a tom sound will be what you get. Think of it as a drum line from a marching band where everyone including the triangle player is playing their normal cadences on low tom.

The main thing is that you're looking for that triplet pulse.

If you can find it in a pattern, thats great.

If you can impose the triplet by running your drum track through a triplet based pattern or multi tap delay, that will work as well - and for that you just need a quarter or 8th note pulse, the delay adds the secondary notes for 2 and 3 of the triplet.

World is a broad category for non-western, non-pop beats and includes (no judgement implied) Latin, African, Middle Eastern, Indian/Asian beats -- you might see key words like Tribal or Ethnic or location names or drum names in the beat type. As stated in the other thread, the feel I get from the tune is more Irish than African, but I'm guessing based on prior experience with Korg that there won't be "Bodrhan" but there might be "Talking Drum" or something like it and that it will be a triplet based, generically identifiable "African" rhythm.... world music.

BB

morty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Bill Reply with quote

Yeah I was going thru the drum pattern list in the book and found a few triplet patterns I'll try them out tonight at church I realize many of the kits have toms in them per the keys so I'll see what I can do

Thanks
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: