Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg XL,Radias and R3 to M3+exb-radias conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Microkorg XL,Radias and R3 to M3+exb-radias conversion Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am working on a simple java program to convert Microkorg XL patches to Korg M3+exb-radias... I came quite far allready, but still have about 15% of the parameters to figure out, and the vocoder paramters...

I am loading the Mkxl_all files and converting to an M3(+radias) .PCG file.

Also working on radias to M3+exb and R3 to exb-radias (both at 60% right now)..

My question:

Does anyone have the FULL midi implementation chart of the Microkorg XL???

And, can someone post me some banks (mkxl_all, RDL or R3L) (or email) so I could do some further testing in converting them??

Been working with the implementation chart of the older "normal" microkorg, but these are not fully compatible so I had to figure everything out by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pkeijzer72 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Sounds Great Reply with quote

Wish I could help, but good luck with this project, i'd be very interested in having them.
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for the original Microkorg so it may not be of any use to you but here's the link.

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/MK1_633652915168960000.pdf
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This conversion, if possible, would be AWESOME Cool
pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
This is for the original Microkorg so it may not be of any use to you but here's the link.

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/MK1_633652915168960000.pdf

Thanks, I found that also, but these machines are not quite the same... I figured out most of the vocoder parameters myself btw...

some parameters are not easily converted I found out..

Anyone care for a test ?? Microkorg XL to M3+radias??
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pkeijzer,

If you have the document for the XL already, I would be interested to have it. I also only have the original microKorg.

I don't have a microKorg so I'm afraid I cannot help testing, but wish you all the best with the project.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Hello pkeijzer,

If you have the document for the XL already, I would be interested to have it. I also only have the original microKorg.

I don't have a microKorg so I'm afraid I cannot help testing, but wish you all the best with the project.

Michel.. I do not have the document, but I found out a lot of parameters by trial and error. At the moment I am trying convertsons for 3 synths, and don't focus on any particular at the moment (allready had my fair share of Microkorg XL programming hours behind me.

Maybe I picked the wrong microkorg (XL), and maybe people are more interested in Microkorg > M3(radias) or Radias, for as far as the parameters match ????....

Btw michel... your PCG tools came in quite handy in copying/pasting the Init programs and combi's for the "base" .pcg file for the M3..thanks!!

I'll keep you all posted....

Last edited by pkeijzer72 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkeijzer72 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
Hello pkeijzer,

Michel.. I do not have the document, but I found out a lot of parameters by trial and error. At the moment I am trying convertions for 3 synths, and do'nt focus on any particular at the moment (allready had my fair share of Microkorg XL programming hours behind me.

Maybe I picked out the wrong microkorg (XL), and maybe people are more interested in Microkorg > M3(radias) or Radias, for as far as the parameters match ????....

Btw michel... your PCG tools came in quite handy in copying/pasting the Init programs and combi's for the "base" .pcg file for the M3..thanks!!

I'll keep you all posted....

Ok I guess I have not followed all threads lately. Being busy with PCG Tools (thanks for the nice compliment), so I don't check every thread anymore on a regular basis.

If you need any patch, documentation let me know, I gathered a lot from different sites.

Also, if you need help with the PCG format of the M3 let me know (in PCG Tools I only use a small amount of parameters, but the M3 PCG file format is a bit tricky).

Also maybe in the future I will add support for more synths too (like Radias, micro ... etc). Currently I'm busy with the Trinity.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. I already converted some patches from XL->m3 manually, using the two editors side by side Razz This works absolutely, and the sound will be exactly the same.

Sometimes only the naming differs, but sure you figured this out already Smile

Some differences:
- M3 has no random LFO curve. This can be emulated a bit by using S&H curve + curve shape +63 or something(?)

- Oscillator Pulse -> Oscillator Square

- Waveshape/Drive is simplified into one parameter in the XL. But theM3 can do exactly the same types of ws/drive types.

- At the LFOs, the key sync name differs (xl->m3):
Timbre->1st Note
Voice->Each Note

- The ENV curves of the XL are always linear.

- the portamento curve seems to be always linear on the XL

- PUNCH level is in the amp/eq section in the M3

- Sine/VPM Oscillator mode is buggy on M3, works only in program mode. So don't wonder if it sounds different.

- Virtual Patch destination naming:
OSC1 Tune -> OSC1 Pitch
OSC2 Tune -> OSC2 Pitch
Filter 1 Balance -> Filter A Type
Filter 1 Cutoff -> Filter A Freq
Filter 2 Cutoff -> Filter B Freq
Panpot->Pan

Also the order of the destinations are identically, so binary the representing numbers seem to be the same.

The old microkorg has a completely different synthesis. So I don't believe any data from it would be helpful at all.

Please keep the work up! Thanks!

Last edited by ffx on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffx wrote:
Cool stuff. I already converted some patches from XL->m3 manually, using the two editors side by side Razz This works absolutely, and the sound will be exactly the same.

Ehmmm there is not a way to convert XL to M3 ... actually you cannot even load XL PCG files so I'm not sure what you did.

pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
ffx wrote:

Ehmmm there is not a way to convert XL to M3 ... actually you cannot even load XL PCG files so I'm not sure what you did.

Michel, he is using the old-fasioned "editor side by side" method.....the exact thing I am trying to avoid Wink
This has nothing to do with loading .pcg or mk_all (or something) files. He was just refering to the fact that both engines produce the same sound when the parameters are copied exactly.

regards,
Patrick
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkeijzer72 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
ffx wrote:

Michel, he is using the old-fasioned "editor side by side" method.....the exact thing I am trying to avoid Wink
This has nothing to do with loading .pcg or mk_all (or something) files. He was just refering to the fact that both engines produce the same sound when the parameters are copied exactly.

regards,
Patrick

Ok now I understand ... if it would be very easy to convert the parameters I would have automated it but it is not that trivial ... although I think you are busy with that conversion to automate.

PCG Tools might help with checking the basic content and who knows in future I will add some kind of conversion.

pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel,

It takes a lot of time.. I am sort of finished with the radias (effects reprogramming is "no fun", and the M3 lacks step sequencer and arpeggiator (I thought about reprogramming Karma, but they're so different)..

I spent most of my spare time on this, and I seem to be hopping between the 3 synths (radias, R3 and microkorg XL), and replacing bits of code between the 3 modules (in the program).

I will post when I am confident at least from all the synths the "basic" sound parameters are copied correctly. At this moment I will have to find a way to have the M3 "understand" the .PCG file I create.... the M3 editor is not that picky and accepts what I feed it...

Regards,

Patrick
ffx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkeijzer72 wrote:
and the M3 lacks step sequencer and arpeggiator (I thought about reprogramming Karma, but they're so different)..

What about the MSEQ section in the EXB-radias?
pkeijzer72

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod sequencer is available on both, so these parameters will be copied 1:1 (referring to the radias, that is)

patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: