Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome compared to SV-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Krome compared to SV-1 Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a Krome or an SV-1. Curious how the sounds and the keyboard compare if anyone has played both. Mostly interested in piano and electric keyboard sounds (Rhodes etc)

R
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on playing for a couple of hours at GC I think that the Krome's piano and EP's are both quite good. They're lifted pretty much directly from the Kronos, and (I think) that duplicates the SV's engine. I don't think Krome duplicates the SV engine but uses many of the Kronos'/SV's base samples.

I've not played the SV extensively as I need a way bigger variety of sounds, so its not really a contender for what's in my wallet. What I did hear sounds very good but, for me, the real toss-up is between Krome and Kronos.

I know that the Krome's piano is one of the two on Kronos. It's a really nice piano for solo and recording -- it might not be as good for pop/band/live playing because of constrictions of playing through the heavily colored response of most FOH systems.

The Krome's EP's are (IMO) all quite good and they can be tweaked (lots of parameters) to make them more to your taste. They are not "synth-y" sounding; they all have a very real quality to the sound. With most synths the EP's almost sound... maybe "airbrushed" gives the right sense... but there are enough warts (mechanical noise) and variations to keep most players satisfied, even if they play EP exclusively.

Between the two I would take the Krome 88 (weighted keys) over the SV just 'cause of the wider sound palate. But compare that to Kronos - 2 pianos, SV's EPs, and an actual DX engine for 70's/80's digital EP voices.

I might go for the SV over an unweighted Krome 61, just because the ergonomics of playing piano/EP on a weighted board allow a greater degree of nuance in playing -- if I was in a band where nothing else was needed; no string, brass, synth, layered sounds. But I am.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
mbanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Krome compared to SV-1 Reply with quote

RogerL wrote:
I am looking at getting a Krome or an SV-1. Curious how the sounds and the keyboard compare if anyone has played both. Mostly interested in piano and electric keyboard sounds (Rhodes etc)

R

Definately the KROME, has excellent piano and rhodes patches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: