Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using pattern mode to sequence other MIDI gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubilas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Using pattern mode to sequence other MIDI gear Reply with quote

I have been using my MicroKORG and microSampler together with MIDI to do some battery-powered on-the-fly quantized sequencing..

This works great for setting up appregios on keyboards that don't have an appregio feature. I use it on my Yamaha DX-7 & Roland FP-2.

With MIDI INs & OUTs connected between both keyboards,
MicroKORG MIDI CHAN : 1
microSampler MIDI CHAN : 1

Using microSampler pattern record mode, I select a quantize and play notes on the MicroKORG. These notes are recorded on the microSampler's keyboard pattern. They will quantize to the BPM & settings of the microSampler. The MIDI notes are being played/sent back into the MicroKORG.
Using sampling mode, you can record your pattern of quantized MicroKORG MIDI notes as a sample to the microSampler.

I use a headphone splitter/joiner into my sound system, because you cannot have AUDIO IN while recording in pattern record mode on the microSampler. Plug the microSampler into one jack, your other keyboard into the 2nd jack, and the male end into your audio setup.

Have fun!
AEJOTZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Microsampler similarly. I like to hand play all my synth parts but I'm not a great keyboard player. To get some very tight initial tracks I play the parts into the MS pattern sequencer with quantize, then use MIDI to send the sequence to the synth of my choice.

This is actually why I got the MS. I'm not really interested in sampling.

Luckily for me, the BPM on the MS is identical to the BPM on my BR-600 recorder, so it's easy to sync patterns to the BR's metronome and then use the BR's cut and paste feature to create arrangements. (The BR-600 can't sync to external clocks.)

It may seem an awkward workaround compared to a DAW but it's more comfortably hands-on for me.

retro-futurism now

hear my retro-futurist synth music at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com

listen to, join Satellite 5 by visiting sat-5.com
jiggityj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wished the sequencer used multiple midi channels. Still love this keyboard though. I just really started to use this hard, and understanding the real power behind it. It's a great DAW alternative inconjuction with my other gear(at least the way I use it). Workflow is pretty fast.

Yesterday, I accidently deleted one of my banks with samples and patterns. It was a horrible feeling after days of work. I was able to recreate eveything and then some in about an hour( could have been faster if not for the breaks in-between).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: