Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye Kronos back to Motif...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaddeus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Kronos back to Motif... Reply with quote

After discovering Gospel musicians Neo soul, MK sensation, and Pianos, I have came to the conclusion that this synthesizer is better for Gospel musicians... I have been trying to convert sounds over to my Kronos for months now and hasn't been successful... The Kronos pianos doesn't have enough girth for shouting music, drives, or any genre of music that needs the piano to cut through a band... Thanks for all you guys help but I'm happier with Yamaha The piano that comes with Gospel musician...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have came to the conclusion that this synthesizer is better for Gospel musicians

Don't you mean better for you? Gospel musicians are no different than anyone else. They all play a wide range of different keyboards.

Best of luck with the motif. It's all about finding what fits your needs.

Regards
Sharp.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly prefer the K and I don't have problems with the piano "cutting through the band", but it's true that Yamaha is by far the market leader in the gospel segment. Good luck with your new board, I hope it brings you what you're looking for!

Last edited by SanderXpander on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we need to know this because...
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Kronos back to Motif... Reply with quote

Thaddeus wrote:
After discovering Gospel musicians Neo soul, MK sensation, and Pianos, I have came to the conclusion that this synthesizer is better for Gospel musicians... I have been trying to convert sounds over to my Kronos for months now and hasn't been successful... The Kronos pianos doesn't have enough girth for shouting music, drives, or any genre of music that needs the piano to cut through a band... Thanks for all you guys help but I'm happier with Yamaha The piano that comes with Gospel musician...

Once you get them (Neo Soul+) you will realise they are NOT as good as what you have heard online Wink

I have owned XF and Kronos and (apart from the Korg effects structure which I PERSONALLY do not like) the Kronos is streets ahead.

You will find that out for yourself. If you don't mind a bit of advice, don't sell off the K until you have had the Motif for a weeks or so Smile
JFree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you folks always trying to convert? Just be.
mymusic42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Gospel Musician who loves Kronos Reply with quote

Just for the record Jamal (who owns Gospel Musicians) loves the Kronos and did several youtube videos praising the KRonos and its sounds.

ITs all a matter of personal opinion, of course, but I far prefer everything about Korg and the KRonos over whatever Yamaha and ROland have.

I used to use a Motif until the Triton Extreme came out and I've stuck with Korg since then. I've seen more Kronos' than Motif's lately in churches and in concerts. I think the Kronos has started to shift the gospel trend from Yamaha to Korg.

Every once in a while I check out the latest MOtif or Fantom in the store, but I still prefer Korg.

Just bottom line is use whatever you like.
dspellman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Kronos back to Motif... Reply with quote

Thaddeus wrote:
After discovering Gospel musicians Neo soul, MK sensation, and Pianos, Thanks for all you guys help but I'm happier with Yamaha The piano that comes with Gospel musician...

The folks who package anything that says "Praise & Worship" on the label sell well to that genre. I play guitar occasionally with a P&W group and was told I should really have a Gretsch White Falcon (one of the bigtime P&W groups' guitarists has one). As it happens, I have one, took it in the next week and now I'm golden.

Wonder what would have happened had I turned up with my Fender Squier Skull Bass (black guitar with a big old skull and crossbones graphic and a matching 12-fret inlay. ARRRRGH, Maitey!)?
Wsadj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I also have the MkSensation and can tell you if you can get the EP at Kronos, either by sampling or through the MOD 7 DX patch.
Of course you have to work a little, but you will achieve not only match it but to improve.
One of my passions is the sound design and can tell you that in the Kronos not only will have a similar, but even better sound.

So it just depends on you.
These weeks I am with a lot of work, but if you want, I can send in mid-October a sample EP MkSensation style.

Best regards!
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: I LOVE My Kronos, BUT - the Kronos isn't for everyone and that's ok. The learning curve is quite steep, especially if you've never worked with Korg workstations before. I've only owned one Yamaha keyboard in the past, the S08, and that had great sounds but serious problems with the keybed. Yamaha finally came out with a fix for it about a year after I had trashed it. I still have a Roland Ax-Synth which I bring out from time to time and that does have some nice sounds on it, but I keep thinking about selling it to get a midi keytar and just use the Kronos for all the sound.

Anyhow, a few people have jumped ship from the Kronos to other manufacturers. Some have had some hardware issues that they weren't able to resolve. Some wanted instant gratification on creating patches and found the instrument to be overwhelming in that respect. Some really wanted an arranger keyboard but got talked into a Kronos.

It's hard to imagine someone thinking the sound is of better quality on another digital instrument though. I agree that you should keep both keyboards for a bit to compare and I think you'll find the Kronos outshines the Motif.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
First of all: I LOVE My Kronos, BUT - the Kronos isn't for everyone and that's ok. The learning curve is quite steep, especially if you've never worked with Korg workstations before. I've only owned one Yamaha keyboard in the past, the S08, and that had great sounds but serious problems with the keybed. Yamaha finally came out with a fix for it about a year after I had trashed it. I still have a Roland Ax-Synth which I bring out from time to time and that does have some nice sounds on it, but I keep thinking about selling it to get a midi keytar and just use the Kronos for all the sound.

Anyhow, a few people have jumped ship from the Kronos to other manufacturers. Some have had some hardware issues that they weren't able to resolve. Some wanted instant gratification on creating patches and found the instrument to be overwhelming in that respect. Some really wanted an arranger keyboard but got talked into a Kronos.

It's hard to imagine someone thinking the sound is of better quality on another digital instrument though. I agree that you should keep both keyboards for a bit to compare and I think you'll find the Kronos outshines the Motif.

Before the Kronos, I had the XS7 and liked it. It had a lot of instant gratification. The voices by category and the multis ( ? combis) with Arps had numerous recognizable classic keyboard sounds plus the multis had recognizable songs. It was easy to get dial up sounds to play different styles. The XS had numerous +'s and I can see why it has been popular for several years. Its a great ' copy the sound/tune/style ' board.

But I really like the Detail ( best I can explain) with the Kronos programs. I simply never get tired of using the Kronos pianos , for example, plus making variations of them and other programs. And Karma , while complex, is simply awesome, as it matches up with the Kronos.

The Kronos is a highly creative and inspiring board for me. It has such depth and the exploration/learning seems endless. Which is why I have a preference for the Kronos. I like to copy tunes here and there, but I much prefer to create, or do a variation of an existing tune.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
First of all: I LOVE My Kronos, BUT - the Kronos isn't for everyone and that's ok. The learning curve is quite steep...

I was playing a church gig a few weeks ago. A musician in the audience from another church came up and told me, "I'm getting one of these for my worship band. This thing has amazing capabilities."

I confess to cringing a bit inside. I use a combination of audio tracks, SMF and KARMA to create a one-man-band sound. In performance, one tap of Set List makes the keyboard look deceptively easy to use.

Not sure she's ready for the learning curve.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a Korg guy. Whenever I'm in a music store with my wife and I paly another keyboard she inevitably says, "It just doesn't sound like a Korg".

That's not saying that whe doesn't like it, but it just dosen't have that certain something that my Kronos has.

I will also admit that she didn't say this when I played a real Hammond B3 through a Leslie.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I will also admit that she didn't say this when I played a real Hammond B3 through a Leslie.

Ahh... perfect time for "Well then, honey, you can see why I need one of these..." Wink

Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was better, Hendrix or Clapton? What tastes better, Coke or Pepsi?
Does analog sound better than digital? Does virtual analog sound better
than "real" analog?

These discussions always end in a draw, in my experience. There is no
"better" between any of the comparisons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: