Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cubase Chase Events to change Mode in MicroX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roentje12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Cubase Chase Events to change Mode in MicroX Reply with quote

In Cubase there is an option called "Chase Events", meaning that, when you place the cursor anywhere in the song, the sequencer rolls back to check if there were any previous program changes or bank changes, in order to set the proper sound for that particular place in the song.
Now, the Chase Events command picks up the program and bank changes addressed to the MicroX, but not the sysex messages meant to change mode in the MicroX.
The Chase Events command works fine for the other sound modules hooked up, so it's not a Cubase item but a MicroX item.
What can I do to have the MicroX receive and respond to the sent sysex command?
jcg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roentje12,

You have to:

1. Check (activate) "Chase Events - Sysex" in "File - Preferences - Midi";

2. Uncheck the "Record - Sysex" in "File - Preferences - Midi - Midi Filter", so that Sysex messages are NOT filtered (they are recorded and played back too). Note: you don't need to uncheck the same option for "Thru", to avoid the Sysex messages to be echoed back "live", which you should not need anyway.

This way it works reasonably well for me. It works fine if I record the actual Prog/Combi changes, and play it all back from the beginning. The “Chase” functionality works well sometimes only though… I found that there are circumstances when Mode is changed but not Bank/Prog, for instance; but many times it works fine too.

Regards,
jcg
Roentje12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JCG,

First of all, thanks a lot for your quick reply. But I was afraid you were going to come up with this answer. All the settings in Cubase are as you describe. Even when I play the song from the start, all commands, including sysex, are processed properly and the MicroX complies. Works perfect. Only the Chase Events seems to have a hickup in relation to the MicroX...
jcg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roentje12,

Ok, understand (we are both in the same page). I think the problem is that the MicroX sends a couple of Sysex messages whenever you change Mode/Bank/Prog/Combi, and they are not allways in the same order, as far as I could see (using the MIDI-OX Windows tool). For instance, it seems to send a big Sysex message with all the Prog/Combi parameters every time you select a new Prog/Combi -- along with the normal bank select, prog select (standard MIDI messages) and mode select (another Sysex) messages. And I've also seen at least another small sysex message being sent too (don't know what it is -- not documented).

So, when you change song position in Cubase, the Chase Event function will always look for the previous Sysex message (just one, and no matter what it really was), and resend it, along with the last bank/prog select messages. But, the previous sysex message might not have been the Mode Change one (as order varies, it seems), so it does not work well sometimes (or most of the time...).

The only solution I can think of would be to have a MIDI filter, before Cubase, filtering out all Sysex messages except the Change Mode ones (I've described the format for those in another topic in this forum, regarding how to change Combi/Progs from an external controller, in case you want to know it). I don't think Cubase can do this. Maybe it could be done using other tools such as MIDI-OX, MIDI Yoke, ..., but I don't know an easy solution for that, sorry. Just let us know if you find one!

Regards,
jcg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: