Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three problems here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Three problems here Reply with quote

Hi, my trusty Triton Studio is starting to behave strangely and all of the problems following have started about the same time

1: The instrument randomly freezes and all the buttons and touch panel are unresponsive, so I have to power of the unit and power it on again. Then, it continues to work. (happened 2 or 3 times)

2: Yesterday it suddenly powered off . I turned it back on, and it was OK. (happened once)

3: When I try to play a track from a CD i get no sound at all. It starts playback normally (counter etc) but i have no sound. If at the same time i play something on the keyboard it plays normally. (happened 2 or 3 times).

Every reply will be highly appreciated because as the title says i have a concert in three weeks that i will need it and its essential for me to know if there's something that i can fix or send it immediately for a general service

Last edited by sirve on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: POWER

That sounds like a shop issue. You'll want to check all the connections -- power switch, plug/connector to power cable, all interior cables and connections and connections to boards. Look for corrosion on standard connectors and for possible cold solder joints. Also check the "health" of the power supply (transformer) itself since if this starts behaving badly it can cause some of the symptoms you describe -- the screen freeze can be caused by low voltage, tho more typically you'd see a very short power down and then a reset to the powering on screen.

RE: CD

As to the CD, it is less clear. I'm assuming that this is a MIDI sequencer file on the CD that is having a faulty load. Is this one you've used often, or is it new? If it is older you may want to re-burn the master - any disc can start showing its age after a while. In either case you may want to run the original MIDI files from your computer to see if they're working as they're supposed to, especially if they're 3rd party MIDI files.

Most files will have a short "reset (zero) all controls" to get rid of any lingering sustain or modulation signals. It could be that lacking this, one or more of the tracks are muted or at zero volume. Also, if you've reset any voices that the file is expecting to use, you may be referencing a zero content INIT file and thus getting no sound.

It is also possible that the CD drive itself is malfunctioning - Studio is what, 10+ years old at this point? May be time for a replacement disc drive.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
sirve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed reply,

RE1: Power is the first that I checked and i found that the power cable is was in bad condition (i suspect the the power off happened because of it, maybe i moved it a bit accidentally)

I don't have the time (and the expertise) to check its internals so i hope that with the new cable i won't have power off issues. Also, i found that the TS wasn't for some reason connected to my power conditioner as should be, so i connected it on the p.c. (and i have to wait for some time to see if the problems persists with the latest tweaks)

RE2: My CD drive was hardly used, so i don't thing that is a time for it to be replaced. I use it only for playing along with some audio files I use for practice purposes. The strange here is that the sampling option from cd works perfectly (i have sound output as should be). The problem occurs only with audio playback...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A glitchy power chord would do it, as would low voltage if you power conditioner is not hooked up. You want to check those things periodically against twists or fraying of power chords and dirt, moisture and general crud building up in other power connections

The play along CD option is one I don't have on my board or use in my current system.

Given how inexpensive CD players are, though, I think I'd just look for one of those and figure out a way to get it into my system (mixer input) and just start and stop manually. Simpler, newer (more reliable) and easily replaceable.

Better yet, an iPhone/iTunes would be a (ackk!!) smarter option because you could set up either set lists or play just one song by setting up custom playlists. You just need to ensure that your mix input covers both the left and right channels or you might miss half the signal.

[That may be the problem you're experiencing now if, somehow, the panning of your CD has been moved to the extreme, cutting off signal from one side. If your CD is a mono recording (right only, eg.) you'd hear nothing from the left channel and silence if panning was full left -- but you'd still get a left side signal from stereo samples. Just a thought.]

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
sirve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's very simple to listen to the cd (or my iPhone) from another source but there are some times that i really want the luxury of playing the cd directly from my keyboard. I use to turn off all the equipment of my studio, plug only a pair of headphones in the TS, and start playing without any distractions…

Is there any way to check why the cd playback sound is silenced..?
sirve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some repetitive attempts to make the cd playback to work now it freezes the whole system when reading the cd (only) under the CD PLAYBACK tab. The cd drive btw, works normally when ripping or transferring data.

Confused..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: