Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PBS-Tri Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: PBS-Tri Question Reply with quote

I have a Korg 01/W and I want to know if there is a possibility to record combination sound: B81 Dyno Piano into the Trinity with the PBS-Tri installed and, where can I get more info on this? Thanks in advance!
xavier
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The PBS-Tri has no sample recording feature, but if you sample that sound on a computer and prepare it in the right format (with Awave Studio for example), then you can use the multisample in a program.

You need to edit that program too.

Xavier Miller.
http://www.xaviermiller.be
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier wrote:
Hello,

The PBS-Tri has no sample recording feature, but if you sample that sound on a computer and prepare it in the right format (with Awave Studio for example), then you can use the multisample in a program.

You need to edit that program too.

I have actually saved the sound in a NKI format, which I understand is the Korg format, so if I put this in a floppy disk, I assume I can upload it to the Trinity, am I right?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Trinity primarily uses KSF, KMP and KSC formats for its PBS-TRI. Alternatively you can use files in AKAI S1000 format.

But mainly:-
KSF is individual samples in Korg Trinity format
KMP is multisample keymap data for corresponding samples/drumsamples
KSC is optional (a script to upload a collection of multisamples to the PBS).
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded the PBS-TRI manual for the Korg Trinity. It might make things clearer:-

http://infekted.org/Korg/KorgTrinity-PBS-TRI-ExpansionOption.pdf

Like Xavier, I use an old version of FMJSoft Awave Studio to arrange samples, create keymaps and then export the required files in KSF/KMP/KSC Korg Trinity format.

Of course, once uploaded to the Trinity, you still then need to edit a Program to select the new multisample(s) and modulate it however you wish (filters, amp, LFOs, EGs etc.), as Xavier mentions.

Last edited by Timo on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I also have the sound file in a KSF format compacted in a winzip file, how can I transfer it to the Trinity? Should I unzip it and then via MIDI? via floppy disk?
xavier
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to unzip it and put it on a floppy disk (or a SCSI disk if you have a SCSI interface)

Xavier Miller.
http://www.xaviermiller.be
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember one more question, can a Trinity have the PBS-Tri and the MOSS board at the same time? I am curious, I might buy the MOSS if possible.
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can have the pbs-tri prophecy-try board or moss tri board

scsi-tri hdr-tri the scsi try is with out the hard disk recorder

the hdr-tri also has the scsi

and then theirs the adat -tri 4 possible expansions with 6 options to install

adat-tri is impossible to locate

the scsi-tri is more common than the hdr-tri

the prohecy board comes as standard in a trinity plus model

and the moss board comes as standard as v3

what you find is that people buy v3 boards and sell the moss board

same for the + versions people pull the prophecy board and sell it with out

also check if buying a v3 or trinity plus that they have the boards installed as with out them they are just standard trinity spec aqnd people try to sell them for more

the pbs-tri allows 8mb pcm samples loaded in flash these are non-volitile so when you switch on they are there

limitations of the pbs-tri

500 samples max 100 multisound kmp files only max 2mb sample as they are in 2mb banks
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksc files are best used for a bank of kmp files as if you use the script and only have 1 kmp when you try and load another ksc script it will overwrite the first one loaded

so if loading single kmp files just load as kmp files that way they will stay there

floppy is fine just format it in the trinity and then load from a pc

as long as you keep your keymaps smaller than 1.4mb

i find on the trinity its best to use the same type samples as trinity does these are usually very small sample files

if you really want to load larger then the triton or m3 would be better

as they have much larger ram and larger allow file sizes

awave studio is the best software and you can use for a 30 day trial for free i use this program for many formats as its easy to create keymaps
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also in awavestudio create a proper instrument with envelopes and filter settings and then save as pcg and it will convert it to an instrument format this is also good for small sf2 files which you can convert
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Houston, we got a problem, I just checked and the KSF file I got for the Dyno Piano Sound, which is the one I am putting into the Trinity, is actually larger than 2 MB, way too large, how can I fix this? or, is there any other way around this?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorgTrinity-PBS-TRI-ExpansionOption.pdf wrote:
The capacity of the PCM memory is approximately 8 Mbytes (8,323,040 bytes).

It is not possible to load samples which are larger than 2 Mbytes. Also, individual samples which exceed the capacity of a floppy disk (approximately 1.4 Mbytes for a 2HD disk) can be saved only to a hard disk when the SCSI option or the HDR option has been added.

As the manual states, the maximum individual sample size is 2mb. Reason for this is I think the PBS uses 4 x 2mb flash ROM chips, or somesuch.

Again, if you do not have SCSI or HDR, and can only use floppy disks to upload samples, then the maximum individual sample size becomes limited to the size of a floppy disk, i.e. 1.4mb.

-xDesertEaglex- wrote:
how can I fix this? or, is there any other way around this?

You will need to try and optimise the sample beforehand, particularly loop regions, trimming the sample, getting rid of release phase etc. using an audio editor like Audacity, Wavelab, Audition, Sound Forge or similar, or using an auto-loop program like Zero-X Seamless Looper (although I think SeamlessLooper is now unfortunately abandonware).

Make sure the samples are using 16-bit depth (not 20 or 24bit).

Failing that, re-record or convert the samples to a lower sampling frequency (48000/47619/44100/32000/31250/24000/23810/22254/22050/15625/11127/11025Hz are supported by Trinity). The 01/W only used 32KHz/16-bit samples anyway.

Addendum: yes, PBS and MOSS can be used together. They're the best two upgrades for the Trinity! Very Happy

The only two upgrades that cannot be installed at the same time are MOSS and SOLO. But Moss is effectively an upgraded Solo anyway, akin to comparing a Z1 vs a Prophecy.
jhulk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would sample in 32khz as stated its actually recorded in there 16 bit to 8 bit conversion compression and uses the compressed frequency format

of 31250hz which the trinity also supports

inside the trinity it upsamples to 48khz output any way
i have used 24khz samples and they sound great

a 256k sample at 32khz is 8 seconds long

you can fit 8 samples that size in 2mb but with piano type sounds they get smaller an when making them for the korg dss1 i only needed to loop the first 4 samples all the others where 1 shots

if you record from c2 then f#2 c3 f#3 c4 f#4 c5 f#5 c6 f#6 c7 this should get you enough sample to get a good representation of the sound you will find the top notes will be very small in size

i use cool edit pro to record my samples in none standard rates

i did a video for the dss1x sampler upgraded to 24mb and did samples in 24khz and showed how to chop them up and normalize them

the video is here http://wavetablecreation.com

this allows you todo formats your sound card wont let you do as they are usually set to 22050 /44100/48000/88200/96000/192000 ranges

but in cool edit pro which is now adobe audition3 does allow you to record at any frequency

i then chop them up and load into awavestudio loop where necessary and save them to korg kmp format which create all the ksf in a folder

i also always try and keep it under 1.44mb so that it can be loaded by floppy because not every one has scsi
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhulk wrote:
if you record from c2 then f#2 c3 f#3 c4 f#4 c5 f#5 c6 f#6 c7 this should get you enough sample to get a good representation of the sound you will find the top notes will be very small in size

i use cool edit pro to record my samples in none standard rates

i did a video for the dss1x sampler upgraded to 24mb and did samples in 24khz and showed how to chop them up and normalize them

the video is here http://wavetablecreation.com

I think I am understanding what you are saying, however, is there somewhere a step by step process where I can do this?

I just realized that there is too much detail on something I though could have been a bit simpler. I know I can do this, I am very familiar with audio and video editing, but sampling is just my first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: