Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kurzweil PC3A8 announced….
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Kurzweil PC3A8 announced…. Reply with quote

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3a8/

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kurzweil PC3A8 announced…. Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3a8/

Very Happy

Display looks very .... retro! Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely underwhelmed by the sound demos.

Apart from two or three well sounding Pianos, most demo sounds on the page for the new dynth just sound like the old - and that means they sound like like a lot of acoustic dust is preventing them from shining.

For exmaple, I would never ever want to return to these muddy EP sounds after playing a Kronos.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm completely underwhelmed by the sound demos.

I have to agree - it surprised me

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds really nice to me for a late 90s board. I'm only partly joking, I really do appreciate the "snappiness" of some of the sounds but they are also very clearly dated. Still, I'm not sure this is meant to be competition for the Kronos. It seems more of a stage piano on steroids than a full blown open architecture synth, even with all the features.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the sounds but I was hoping they would really step up and improve the GUI. I was watching them to see if they would release something that would compel me to buy, probably not this time, wonder what Nord is up to?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... we get to relive the 90's forever. Cool

Twisted Evil
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I actually like the sounds but I was hoping they would really step up and improve the GUI.

Kurzweil Forte has the improved GUI. And 16 gigs of samples too (with <1 min bootup time). It's not a workstation though. But shows where they're heading, for sure.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

Kurzweil Forte has the improved GUI. And 16 gigs of samples too (with <1 min bootup time). It's not a workstation though. But shows where they're heading, for sure.

This tells me Kurz R&D is still restricted with the amount of R&D money they are receiving to create new products. They get money to create a new piano and its associated 16GB piano samples, then they only get enough money to add those samples to the existing PC3X series, but no money to update the interface.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No samples from the Forte are in the PC3A. It's the Artis piano which was made before Forte - they're basically responding to user feedback, which said that a lot of PC3 users wanted the Artis piano while retaining the editability of PC3. They couldn't do it as a ROM board because of a hardware issue in very first PC3 units, so they had to make a new machine altogether.

Plus, those 16 GB in Forte are not just piano samples. New Rhodes, Wurly, Clavinet, harpsichords and organs, too.
ahutnick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local music store had a Kurzweil clinic a few days ago and they demoed the Forte and the acoustic pianos as well as the other sounds that ED mentioned sounded top-notch to my ears FWIW definitely not nineties! Nothing like hearing and playing the instrument in person. My major quibble with The Forte is that you can't load user samples as I think a board that cost 4 grand should be able to do that also the 4 zone limit as well. Speaking of the nineties or actually the eighties it's too bad that with the upcoming OS update for the Kronos The HD1 engine still won't let you use more than 2 oscillators in a single program. Yes I know there are workarounds to that such as Combi mode but it would be nice if you didn't have to do that but that's how it goes
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahutnick wrote:
Speaking of the nineties or actually the eighties it's too bad that with the upcoming OS update for the Kronos The HD1 engine still won't let you use more than 2 oscillators in a single program.

Actually you can have two HD-1 engines in one program, so that's four oscillators total. Still, it's not 32 layers, yep. Smile
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to combi mode, I never faced a practical problem with the actual Kronos program mode, though it is a remnant of former Korg times.

I have tested Kurzweils in stores, and the PC3 series definitely always sounded like the nineties to me. Great at that time, but not at all my cup of tea for now.

The Forte has some better stuff on board. Still most of the sounds are not what I prefer, with a few exceptions. But to each his own, whatever fits for you! And seeing the "Dirty Loops" Keyboarder perform trio shows on the Korg X50 reminded me, that generally we amateurs tend to overestimate sounds and underestimate playing class.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
ahutnick wrote:
Speaking of the nineties or actually the eighties it's too bad that with the upcoming OS update for the Kronos The HD1 engine still won't let you use more than 2 oscillators in a single program.

Actually you can have two HD-1 engines in one program, so that's four oscillators total. Still, it's not 32 layers, yep. Smile

Nope, 2 oscillators per program. Each HD1 instance offers only one. Although they are stereo, and you can layer two multisamples by sacrificing a velocity layer.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right! Still, wouldn't it be awesome to have DNC in Kronos? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: