Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20 kit impressions: 1) Noisy filters, 2) too bright LEDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoegge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: MS-20 kit impressions: 1) Noisy filters, 2) too bright LEDs Reply with quote

Just assembled and used my MS-20 kit. Nice synth, but have two issues and would like to hear other's opinions

1) The synth is very noisy, i.e. when I play turning both oscillators all the way down a lot of noise comes out (probably from the filters?). It means that a triangular wave sound almost drowns in noise (I can measure the level on a follow up post if you are interested). I have heard complaints about that with the MS-20 Mini, but should not be an issue on the full size MS-20. What should you expect of noise level in this synth?

2) The 3 red LEDs are so bright it is hard to see the controls in a dimmed room. Pretty annoying and seems to be a disease in the electronics industry to use LEDs that can be used as head or tail lights for cars. Please - don't use these super bright diodes for indication lights. Am I the only one, that think this is annoying.

Aside that, it is a fun and interesting synth

Morten
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise
Yes, the old filters are noisy, I never use them. Hardly any different in sound otherwise IMO. Be thankful you have a choice.

LEDs
At least they are red. Kronos is blinding. But it's a blight on synths these days.

B
hoegge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Noise
Yes, the old filters are noisy, I never use them. Hardly any different in sound otherwise IMO. Be thankful you have a choice.
B

Couldn't seem to hear a different until I found out that the switching between the filters using the F#3 G#3 A#3 / B3 means the lower left part of the keyboard and not the upper octave. Hard to know, since the manual says you turn "auto off" on and off by using the keys C1 D1 E1 / F1 when turning on. Are these keys then not on the keyboard? Well - with the new filters - yes - much less noise. Thanks for the hint
LivePsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you worked it out because I didn't explain the filters at all Smile

After I heard the new and old filters, I changed the jumper on the main board to always start up with the new filter. I can always power it on with the keys down if I want the old filter for a while. Unless you changed the board jumper inside, you will always get the old filters on power up without the keys held.

I just haven't bothered to switch to the old filters after months of use. I don't think I could stand the MS-20 if it only had the old filters.

B
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: noisy early filters Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you could call the early 'noisy' filters a fault, since they add to the original sound of the early MS-20's. True the new filter available in the kit produces a lot less noise, but to me it doesn't have the character of the early in a sense of being aggressive.
I didn't have the impression that a triangle wave was 'drowned in noise' with the early filter. But I like the screaming mayhem the MS20 kit makes, just like the mini does. Tastes may differ.
As for the LEDS, they are bright, but a well lit front panel from one or more external light sources should compensate for this. Remember, this thing has new lights on, the original MS-20 show their mileage concerning oscillators, and lights.
Tascam US-144 Mk II, Alesis iO4
System : Win 8.1/Ubuntu Linux; i5-3470 quad core cpu@3.2 Ghz; 8Gb Ram
DAW : Presonus Studio One Free, Cubase 5.1
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: noisy early filters Reply with quote

channel0 wrote:
Remember, this thing has new lights on, the original MS-20 show their mileage concerning oscillators, and lights.

LEDs weren't as bright in my day. Seriously, they weren't as bright.

B
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: bright leds Reply with quote

maybe a couple of layers of dark varnish on them may help?
I wouldn't want to throw it out solely because of the bright leds Smile
but now that I'm checking, the leds on the mini are far less brighter
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Now I need to get the mini as well! LOL

If the MS20kit wasn't SMT, I'd be putting dimming resistors on the LEDs.

B
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: dimming the leds Reply with quote

it would be nice to adjust brightness of the leds according to volume e.g.
but that's just wishful thinking. wearing shades would probably be overdoing it Cool
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lightdims.com/
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: dim Reply with quote

lol, there's a business in this or everyone it seems Smile
nice tip, but I'll stick with a well lit front panel.
you can't play this box in the dark live unless if you know it by heart
slug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my active Tannoys - little LEDS that are beaming directly into your eyes... I just put a dab of black vivid pen on them and so on direct view Im not getting the intensity but can still see it active.

Now my Prophet 12 - that is a synth that needs a dimmer....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: