Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went to update to 3.0.2 - DEAD KRONOS. :(
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Went to update to 3.0.2 - DEAD KRONOS. :( Reply with quote

So I haven't turned on my Kronos 88 for months. In fact, it wasn't even plugged in. The last time I used it was months ago but it worked fine and it shut down properly.

Went to turn it on tonight to update it to 3.0.2 and nothing. It's dead. The screen doesn't show sign of life and I don't hear any noises when powering up.

Unplugged everything, tried a known good power cord (pulled from my trusty old Triton Pro). Nada.

I flipped it upside down and removed the bottom of the Kronos and verified that when the power switch is turned on, the green LED on the motherboard does turn on so the switch is good.

Anybody have any idea what to do or what to check before I have to take it to a service center and shell out a ton of cash? Does this thing have a fuse? Didn't see one on initial look.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
mikeyd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with replacing the battery. I think (you'll know when you get to it obviously) it's a CR2032.
There is a lot of posts on the subject.
If your Kronos had been off for months I would think that'd would be where to start.

After that probably have to restore it.

Good luck and sorry! You contribute a lot to the forum and hopefully someone from Korg will see your post.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd wrote:
I'd start with replacing the battery. I think (you'll know when you get to it obviously) it's a CR2032.
There is a lot of posts on the subject.
If your Kronos had been off for months I would think that'd would be where to start.

After that probably have to restore it.

Good luck and sorry! You contribute a lot to the forum and hopefully someone from Korg will see your post.

Appreciate the kind words.

Though that shouldn't have mattered in terms of booting I thought the same thing so I checked the battery and it read 3.044v. This has been a VERY well documented issue since the day they started shipping so I'm sure they know exactly what the issue is. I just hope Korg extends an olive branch and ships me the part in warranty. I only gigged this keyboard ONCE and it hasn't left the studio since and probably only has about 10 or 20 hours of total on time.

My fear is that the motherboard is bad. Sad
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
phenaste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you try to connect a monitor ?

I think that UPS would deliver +3.3V +5.0V +12.0V to the motherboard.

Are you sure that alimentation line-rails are good ?

Sorry for your Kronos Sad.
Hope you'll find a solution for your issue.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that indeed. Hope Korg will help you with the problem (I'm afraid I don't have an answer).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenaste wrote:
Do you try to connect a monitor ?

I think that UPS would deliver +3.3V +5.0V +12.0V to the motherboard.

Are you sure that alimentation line-rails are good ?

Sorry for your Kronos Sad.
Hope you'll find a solution for your issue.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't do anything other than check voltages (it was like 2am and I need to get up for work around 5:30). Power is definitely getting TO the motherboard and all the voltages are in check. It's just very odd that it died while sitting unplugged. Even if Korg sent a new motherboard, power supply, and every other board in the Kronos, I really want to figure out what happened. I've read a lot of horror stories of people with similar issues. This was to be my main board for YEARS to come. I should have gotten more than 10 hours of use out of it before it died, especially considering how it died.

I'm going to call Korg later today though I'm sure they won't tell my anything other than "take it to a service center" which is kind of funny because the local service center has me repair my own stuff because they are less familiar with it. This weekend, I'm going to pull it out and hook up standard PC components to it and see what happens - power supply, monitor, hard drive, etc.

I haven't been active on here for a while so I wasn't aware this was an issue until it happened to me. I'd like to figure out the cause and solution to this going forward for all of us.

michelkeijzers wrote:
Sorry to hear that indeed. Hope Korg will help you with the problem (I'm afraid I don't have an answer).

Thanks Michel. It's really a bummer. Sad
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

As pointless as this maybe, I'd rather say something than nothing, so check to see if the Ram it's seated into it's slot correctly. My Desktop PC for example doesn't do anything, not even a beep if there's no RAM installed or the RAM is faulty.

I discovered this because one day due to mismatching pairs of SIMM's. I thought the motherboard was dead as all I could see was a light, but I couldn't get a geek out of it until I figured out the RAM was the issue.

Regards
Sharp.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

As pointless as this maybe, I'd rather say something than nothing, so check to see if the Ram it's seated into it's slot correctly. My Desktop PC for example doesn't do anything, not even a beep if there's no RAM installed or the RAM is faulty.

I discovered this because one day due to mismatching pairs of SIMM's. I thought the motherboard was dead as all I could see was a light, but I couldn't get a geek out of it until I figured out the RAM was the issue.

Regards
Sharp.

Thanks, Sharp. I did try this as well as I'd read people were getting all sorts of weird startup errors because their RAM wasn't fully seated. I unplugged and replugged everything that wasn't soldered and nothing changed. I'm AMAZED there's not a fuse (or at least one that's easily visible).

On a sidenote, when I called Korg a few minutes ago and talked to one of the support guys he was super friendly and tried to help as best he can since they don't really offer technical support over the phone. Every time I've called they've been super friendly and helpful and a couple times based on my question they know who I am (without me saying who I am). "Oh, this must be McHale. Hey, how are you doing?" Whenever that happens I'm careful to not give my real name because I'm afraid all of my Korg purchases will get flagged in their warranty database! Embarassed

I'm at work now so there's not much I can do but send an email to their support while I try to track down the latest service manual. I'm going to figure out exactly what component failed if it's the last thing I do. It could something simple as a capacitor on the motherboard.

-Mc
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, a single capacitor and you're screwed. If you have power, the mobo is very likely to be the culprit. I know at least 3 people who had to change the mobo on their Kronos. If this is something you can do yourself, big savings!

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very sorry to hear of your problem. What a bummer. My Kronos has also set for a few months before I took it out to do this update. it did start right up. I have let it set in the past for a few months and it always started when I brought it out again. The capacitor comment is certainly a valid one, but it seems to be to new for that. Not that it couldn't happen. I think I would also start checking the cable connections. Unplug them then plug them in again. A cable can look connected but not really making contact. I had this happen with a Korg Trinity. Another issue could be the power supply. Although they usually work or not work. Look for a cold solder joint. I had this happen in my Yamaha XS8. Cold solder joint in the power supply made it start sometimes and then not start other times. A bad solder joint will look dull and maybe flakey. I doubt, however, that is the problem. I would check the cabling as a first start. I wish you the best of luck and will be praying to the synths Gods to send you good Karma.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Good idea on the solder points. The caps looked good (none had that exploded or about to explode look) and I've had electronic components sit in a below freezing garage attic for years and come to life no problem.

I'm not happy it happened but if I can resolve the issue and it can help someone down the road it will be worth it. My real fear is what happens a few years from now? How repairable will these be?

-Mc
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My real fear is what happens a few years from now? How repairable will these be?

I hear you. That is why the first thing I bought after buying the Kronos was a motherboard to replace the one inside. Just in case. You never know. I hope your solution is just a small issue, but I worry about what will happen down the road to.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hear you. That is why the first thing I bought after buying the Kronos was a motherboard to replace the one inside. Just in case. You never know. I hope your solution is just a small issue, but I worry about what will happen down the road to.

If my motherboard died while basically being in storage, you now have to wonder if the spare you have will be any good if/when you need it. Scary thought!
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A motherboard can always be repaired. The cost is always higher than buying a replacement, but this doesn't mean it is not possible. Same remark regarding the power supply. So 20 years from now, labour will not be cheap. but mobo and PSU will be repaired if they need to be.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he is talking about 20 years from now. Maybe more like 5 or 7. Just my take on the comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: