Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went to update to 3.0.2 - DEAD KRONOS. :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8774532_causes-motherboard-fry.html

What Causes a Motherboard to Fry?

Motherboards can go bad for many reasons, although there are a few common culprits. Among the most common causes of motherboard failure are excess electrical shocks, physical damage, or excess heat.

Dust is also common fault for computer failing Exclamation
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also keeping my fingers crossed for you. You deserve some good luck after all this time. Yes, this is a great thread to have on the forum for people to refer to. It is very thoughtful of you to do this for all of us.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: FINALLY Reply with quote

So after all this time, I installed the new MoBo that I picked up on ebay. That fixed the issue. I still have to mount everything, put all the screws back in, seal it all up and give it a final once and for all, but lazily putting the MoBo in to test brought it right up.

Now to work on the old MoBo and see what happened. Again, in an off state, unplugged from the wall it should not have failed.

Thanks again to everybody for all the help and sympathy. I'm dying to get 3.0.2 on here and get reaquainted with my baby again.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, really pleased for you.
lagrange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale: So very glad you got to the bottom of the problem. Makes me glad I got a spare motherboard sitting here. Your thread was very informative to many member, I am sure. I hope you spend many hours making beautiful music with your self refurbished Kronos. It will sound better and feel better because you did the repair yourself.

Good luck to you McHale.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagrange wrote:
McHale: So very glad you got to the bottom of the problem. Makes me glad I got a spare motherboard sitting here. Your thread was very informative to many member, I am sure. I hope you spend many hours making beautiful music with your self refurbished Kronos. It will sound better and feel better because you did the repair yourself.

Good luck to you McHale.

Thanks brother. Don't forget that once you swap the motherboard, update the sub-system to the latest version (6.04 is the latest as of today).

So I updated the sub-system and the OS to 3.0.2 and put all the final screws in, everything is STILL working and it's like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in 20 years.

I'm going to keep updating this thread with motherboard info. Everything looks good on it under a magnifying glass. Tomorrow I'll start checking it out at the component level at work. I have a hunch on why it failed but don't want to say anything yet in case I'm wrong. Stay tuned though...

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
lagrange

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in what you find out. I am glad everything is moving right along for you. I am sure you are happy to have your keyboard up and running again.
Shambler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result, I'd start with the capacitors!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shambler wrote:
Great result, I'd start with the capacitors!

All the caps tested fine. Visually, everything looks good. I don't think it's component related at this point.

-Mc
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you ... Start with power mosfet switching transistors I've marked in circles , this is the first step of experienced technicians ,
especially the three close to main supply 24 pin clip !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Shame on you ... Start with power mosfet switching transistors I've marked in circles , this is the first step of experienced technicians ,
especially the three close to main supply 24 pin clip !

As always, MUCH appreciated. I'll be sure to check those next.

-Mc
Ross Donald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
So after all this time, I installed the new MoBo that I picked up on ebay. That fixed the issue. I still have to mount everything, put all the screws back in, seal it all up and give it a final once and for all, but lazily putting the MoBo in to test brought it right up.

Now to work on the old MoBo and see what happened. Again, in an off state, unplugged from the wall it should not have failed.

Thanks again to everybody for all the help and sympathy. I'm dying to get 3.0.2 on here and get reaquainted with my baby again.

-Mc

I've read your thread with great interest.
I too have a Korg Kronus (88 model), from 2012ish, and one day it just went dead, having been on and working......Had a look inside, and noticed the motherboard light is illuminated.
I managed to acquire an identical motherboard, and wondered if I just swop it over, and take care of the firmware update after it boots up? Or if I have to do anything else before the swop?

Any advice is gratefully received.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY Reply with quote

Ross Donald wrote:

I too have a Korg Kronus (88 model), from 2012ish, and one day it just went dead, having been on and working......Had a look inside, and noticed the motherboard light is illuminated.
I managed to acquire an identical motherboard, and wondered if I just swop it over, and take care of the firmware update after it boots up? Or if I have to do anything else before the swop?

Just a simple board swap. Once you get it in, perform all your updates as necessary and you'll be good to go. The MoBo I ordered from ebay had 4gb of RAM already on it and I installed it as well.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

-Mc
Ross Donald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Ross Donald wrote:

Just a simple board swap. Once you get it in, perform all your updates as necessary and you'll be good to go. The MoBo I ordered from ebay had 4gb of RAM already on it and I installed it as well.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

-Mc

Gosh, you make it sound so simple!!!
I'm going to attempt the swop over tomorrow. I'll let you know how I got on.
Cheers!!!
Ross
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FINALLY Reply with quote

Ross Donald wrote:

Gosh, you make it sound so simple!!!
I'm going to attempt the swop over tomorrow. I'll let you know how I got on.
Cheers!!!
Ross

Be sure to replace the CR2032 battery on the replacement MoBo when you do. I forgot to and about a year later had to tear it down to replace it.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: