Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I remap the Ribbon Controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyDep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Can I remap the Ribbon Controller Reply with quote

Can I remap my TS Ribbon Controller to the Pitch Bend data?

Right now Ribbon is mapped to CC#16 which only allows data from 0 - 127 to be transmitted.
However, the Pitch Bend allows from 0 - 16,383 which obviously allows much more detail.

Is this possible?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but what would be the use? I don't think the accuracy of the ribbon controller is better than 128 different positions; also I doubt someone can really hear the difference of a pitch bend range of 128 steps or 16384.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DannyDep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I don't know, but what would be the use? I don't think the accuracy of the ribbon controller is better than 128 different positions; also I doubt someone can really hear the difference of a pitch bend range of 128 steps or 16384.

I agree if we're talking about a pitchbend range of two semitones.
However, this guy sets his pitchbend range to 12 semitones(whole octave).
Sounds pretty damn good to me.
Is this only possible on keytars or is there a non-keytar keybaord that maps its ribbon controller to Pitch Bend?
Or can I map the TS ribbon conroller to Pitch Bend?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEddwVMe4xU
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can make the hardware itself have a different level of response if it is built to transmit +/- 127 steps.

You can, however, absolutely assign the ribbon controller to pitch as an AMS control.

What tends to happen at extremely large intervals like two octaves, is a "zippered" as opposed to smooth response, you can hear the jump between stair-stepped values on the wave. You don't hear that in smaller intervals of pitch control (i.e., 1 step) because the distance between steps is relatively so small; approaching smooth.

That's also why filter sweep controls want to be analog rather than digital. That seems to be less of an issue with Kronos, as they've made sure that filters do a smooth, natural sweep rather than stair-stepped values. That is, no doubt, a software thing.

Here's a thought, though; applying the same rule about pitch intervals to filter, you might get a better response by limiting the "interval" of control for whatever parameter you're modulating; 127 steps over a variable of 20 rather than 200 -- 20/127 (.157 per step) is ten times smoother than 200/127 (1.574 per step).

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
DannyDep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

You can, however, absolutely assign the ribbon controller to pitch as an AMS control.

BB

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply.
But i didn't see anything in the AMS dropdownlist on the TS referencing PitchBend.
Can you please explain how this can be done?
thx,
ciao, Dan
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMS (alternate modulation source) would be imposed on pitch; pitch parameters are a part of either the main oscillator page or the amp section I think (not sure without my keyboard).

In that section you'll see several options for changing pitch, changing the range/depth of the modulation and which control will be used.

In selecting an AMS you're deciding which control will be used -- it will be ribbon, not pitch that shows in the pull down menu, in this case. You will already be at the parameter(s) for pitch.

The default pitch modulation parameter should be set to JS X, usually with a range of 2 (whole step) -- look for that and you'll be on the right track.

I don't think there's any way to selectively assign (globally) the ribbon to effect pitch in lieu of the default JS pitch-bend. You have to make changes at the program level for that, since that's where they're set up currently.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up, all of the things on that AMS pull down menu can be used to control other parameters in real time -- none of them do anything by themselves, or if they do they can be used to control more than their usual default.

That is where you'd find and assign obvious physical controls like joystick, pedal, knobs, etc., so as to change select parameters. But some not-so-obvious controls are also included.

Velocity controls volume, yes, but it can also control the cross fade or switch between two layers. That's a velocity cross fade set up in key ranges for each track in a combi. But, as an AMS it can do those things AND also control things like the EQ Wet/Dry balance, so one trick I use for brass voices is to give an EQ boost to the high mid/high EQ as velocity goes up. It gives the brass a more in-your-face (well) brassy sound for stabs (hi vel) while playing more mellow at lower volumes. That would entail going into the IFX, where EQ is set up, and putting an AMS (VEL) on the EQ balance in the lower right.

BB

DannyDep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
AMS (alternate modulation source) would be imposed on pitch; pitch parameters are a part of either the main oscillator page or the amp section I think (not sure without my keyboard).

In that section you'll see several options for changing pitch, changing the range/depth of the modulation and which control will be used.

In selecting an AMS you're deciding which control will be used -- it will be ribbon, not pitch that shows in the pull down menu, in this case. You will already be at the parameter(s) for pitch.

The default pitch modulation parameter should be set to JS X, usually with a range of 2 (whole step) -- look for that and you'll be on the right track.

I don't think there's any way to selectively assign (globally) the ribbon to effect pitch in lieu of the default JS pitch-bend. You have to make changes at the program level for that, since that's where they're set up currently.

BB

Thanks for the reply.

AMS is in the Page-2 Edit Pitch.
I can set the Ribbon to +12 and the AMS to Ribbon CC#16.
This works fine with any internal Programs.
However, (I should have pointed out by my previous post "Pitch Bend using the Ribbon controller with RealLPC") any external programs are not affected by this AMS change.

The Ribbon controller will not control Pitchbend in VIs like MusicLab's RealLPC, AmpleSounds AGT, and ProjectSam Orchestral Essentials patches, etc.
The thing is that when I record any of the above mentioned VIs in Cubase 7.0.7 the PitchBend is recorded because I can see this in the Controller Lane for CC#16, but when the notes play there is no bending at all.
The reason I started this topic was because I did not get any response to my previous one.
Any ideas of why the external VIs won't work?
thanks.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's probably a case of changing only one synth (Triton) so that internally the AMS is working. Yay!

You then hook up to a VI and send what, in your mind, should be a pitch bend via ribbon.

However, the ribbon's data doesn't necessarily change externally just because you've made that internal change correctly. A remap or "AMS" assignment, by whatever name the VI uses, needs to be done before it can receive the ribbon data as meaningful. Even received data (which you are seeing) may not hit pitch due to its being mapped to a specific controller (i.e., joystick) already as a convention or industry default.

- - - - - - - -

Think of MIDI as a series of gestures. MIDI is whatever your hand or foot does; notes played or released, pedal stomped, knob twisted. Then take away the synth. The gestures remain -- MIDI is air guitar -- as you move those gestures to another synth will the gestures for a knob twist mean the same thing; is there even a knob on the second synth to twist?

What happens when you send a "Go to bank D, Combi 127" message to a synth with 2 voice banks, no combis, and only 64 voices (DX7) in its architecture? Nothing. Or possibly something completely wrong.

Your issue is, I think that the gesture you've recorded either doesn't mean the same thing or is just twisting a knob that is in the wrong place or nonexistent.

The gesture, pitch bend using a ribbon - regardless of the CC# - has to be meaningful at the receiving end. That's where you need to be checking.

BB

DannyDep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

The gesture, pitch bend using a ribbon - regardless of the CC# - has to be meaningful at the receiving end. That's where you need to be checking.

BB

I feel like I'm in the middle of a pointing fingers game.
Could you please have a look at this topic in the MusicLab's forums
(which I did not start but I ask the same question for why RealLPC will not work with my ribbon controller which sends out CC#16 for pitch bend)?
http://www.musiclab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4482
MusicLab is telling me it's a Korg problem. ??? Rolling Eyes
thanks.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crucial post is this one, which I've modified for clarity...

Danny,

Korg Ribbon controller sends MIDI CC#16 [even when I modify it with AMS to pitch bend on the Triton] (but that) automates Pattern On/Off in RealLPC.

TRUE

Please refer to Korg Manual to find out if Korg allows to change it to Pitch Bend control
so that it is meaningful to the RealLPC

IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE, BUT THAT"S NOT YET DONE, AT LEAST EXTERNALLY

--------------------

You can use JS => PB per the industry standard, or change it to Ribbon => PB with AMS, but that's internal to the Triton. The receiving VI sees CC#16 (ribbon) as pattern on/off.

IF you know what CC# RealLPC wants for PB control, then you may be able to set up the Ribbon to send it -- I'd think that would be a global modification if its there at all; mod ribbon to send [selectable] CC#X.

What's not clear is why (or if) RealLPC is not seeing the industry standard PB control (JS) as PB, and why it needs to change in the first place unless you've got a clear and immediate need to use the ribbon controller.

Is JS working with RealLPC as PB? If it aint broke...

BB

DannyDep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you own Cubase (mine is 7.0.7) here is a solution to the problem.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=74755
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: