Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland JD XA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Robles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Roland JD XA Reply with quote

I liked the potential of the prototype Roland JDXA on display at NAMM. Here's a clip just released from the Roland news conference describing it as a 4 voice analog with Roland Supernatural voices and sequencer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KeiyYPsQ4
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Roland JD XA Reply with quote

Michael Robles wrote:
I liked the potential of the prototype Roland JDXA on display at NAMM. Here's a clip just released from the Roland news conference describing it as a 4 voice analog with Roland Supernatural voices and sequencer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KeiyYPsQ4

After Namm i had a hard time to place this ... But as the video says, its the new flagship synthesizer, which makes it the follow up of the Vsynth for me..

I hope it can live up to that standard...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how LOLand manages to continue to underwhelm me for so long... Very Happy
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you EvilDragon for having such high expectations!

You know I am kidding. Cool Cool
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Roland seriously calls this their "flagship" synth, they have all my pity. Rolling Eyes

To me it rather looks like another mixed bag, putting elements of their technology into a new casing, and then leaving it to the customer to make something of another wild mix with a weird OS and UI.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
If Roland seriously calls this their "flagship" synth, they have all my pity. Rolling Eyes

Did you hear or even play it? All we have seen was a nonfunctioning model on display at Namm..
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
putting elements of their technology into a new casing

That's catching fingerprints like crazy!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like knobby interfaces and considering the high demand for romplers with some sort of VA and the return to analog this concept looks quite promising... Except that they put it in a 4 octave board?? That would be too small for me even as a second board at a gig.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks pretty. But unless they build one with at least a 61 key keyboard their flagship is at halfmast!

Just out of curiosity, compared to Korg, how many different synth engines has Roland made? I can think of a few. If I was them, I would be trying to build something comparable to the Kronos.
They have piano and organs down fairly well as well as the V Synth and Jupiter.
Just wondering.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's essentially something like an FA-06 with additional drum engine and a monophonic analog voice on board, packed into a 4 octave keybed. Certainly something you can have fun with, but hardly a flagship compared to the Kronos.

I just dislike the way Roland puts components into one board, and most of the time their OS and UI just doesn't cut it. Since the V-Synth I don't like even a single one of their board designs: not the forever halfbaked Fantom G, not the Gaia, not the JP80, not the Integra, not the Fa06, just to name some of them.

They even blew their substantially interesting Sytem1 by designing it with that incredibly bad keybed.

Last edited by jimknopf on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way it is stuck behind a fence!

So basically a box with a moving green light surrounded by a sea of red lights.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this could be a really good move on their part by not letting anyone play it, describing it and having something to look at they are inviting criticism and that will give them input and time to react before muskies. Might even find out they have a 61 or 73/76 key version in the wings if the outcry is loud enough. I will reserve judgement until I hear it.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
It's essentially something like an FA-06 with additional drum engine and a monophonic analog voice on board, packed into a 4 octave keybed.

I read somewhere 4 analog voices. One analog voice is on the mini brother JD-Xi.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 analog voices would add significantly to the value of the synth.

Let's just wait and see/hear. I will be glad if my sceptical perspective would be proven wrong, after all these very mixed efforts in the last years.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also understood 4 analog voices and a completely analog filter.
Which leaves me interested in the concept. Add a bunch of bread and butter sounds using the SN engine and it could be a GREAT live board... Except that they gave it only four octaves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: