Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland JD XA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Tear down. Reply with quote

Very daring within a day but this the innards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590U66Lq_to

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
mandala music

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Does the Roland JD-XA have a battery for backing up memory? Reply with quote

Does the Roland JD-XA have a battery for backing up RAM memory? I watched the Youtube video in which Markus Fuller took apart a JD-XA but he didn't say anything about the two coinlike objects on the extreme left side of the green digital board.

The green digital board and the red analog board take up the entire space wihin the JD-XA. Judging from this, the JD-XA would have to be at least a 5 octave keyboard to provide two additional analog voices.

Anything less than 6 analog voices is a no starter for me.
mandala music

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Roland JD-XA uses flash memory so no batteries needed Reply with quote

Markus Fuller answered my question in the comments area under his Youtube video of dismantling the JD-XA. (The link to the video was given in the posting above mine here in Korg Forums).

He said that the coin like devices on the digital board are capacitors. The patch memory is in flash RAM so no batteries needed.

He said in his video that he would probably switch out the red LCD for a white one that would be easier to read. He also said that the color of the knob labels has been changed by Roland to more of an orange color which was easier to read than the orignal red labeling.

His video was especially interesting because it shows how the 4 analog voices are set up side by side on the analog board. It shows you about how much more room they would have needed inside the synth to add another voice or two. (At least Roland could have increased it to a five octave keyboard to make the additional room if they wanted to release a real flagship synth).

Also if Roland had decided to release a new true Jupiter 8, they could have chosen to replace the digital board with another 4 voice analog board for a total of 8 analog voices.

The JD-XA has a keyboard that generates aftertouch and I applaud Roland for that. Korg's Kingkorg doesn't generate aftertouch and I don't think Krome does either.

A previous poster praised The Roland JD800 for its aftertouch keyboard. But I had 2 Roland JD800's and the aftertouch didn't work on either of them. To get any aftertouch at all I would have to press down with enough force that I was afraid I would break the keys off.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JD XA is a future classic. It is an enigma. I love mine.
johnstimley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
The JD XA is a future classic. It is an enigma. I love mine.

Ibid...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: