Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland JD XA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Robles wrote:
The pricing indicates (incl 21% btw). Isn't that the tax/vat/btw ? Does that mean it could be 21% less in the USA, approx $1699.00 USD ? Oh well, we'll all know in a few days.

I don't see it coming in that low but would be nice.
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: uk price Reply with quote

1549 POUNDS on dv247
gjvti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MortenJ wrote:
JD-XA is more like Rolands version of Korg Radias

it has

4 parts analog that can be 1 polysynth i think 4 voice poly if it has 8 it cost alot

4 parts digital synth is the 3 osc-3 filter-3 Amp VA-synth with pcm knowen from Jupiter 80

1 drum-part

and a Vocoder

It looks and sound to me like roland-version of Radias

it has usb for more sounds(it can be seen on Pictures) maybe it also can be used for Ipad

After Korg abandoned Radias, big, but still lightweight multiple part JD-XA crossover with integrated sequencer definitely looks much better option than KingKorg to me. Sorry Korg, you did first, but didn't right :/
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/4TURZ3aC9dQ

Sounds great, might be a good board to have on top of your Kronos... Still to bad they did not add this on top of what the v-synth offers...
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I love it, but I wish Roland would do a 76-key version of it as well.
And yes, I'm still hoping for a revived V-synth in one form or another...
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, from the demos I've heard so far, to me it sounds like s**t! Very "Digital" and harsh sounding to my ears.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that I can stop watching this thread. I'm in no position to by anything right now and my keyboard room is full. That and my wife would kill me! Wink
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
It occurs to me that I can stop watching this thread. I'm in no position to by anything right now and my keyboard room is full. That and my wife would kill me! Wink

you could allways sell some gear... just start with the last items in you signature list and work forward from there..
MortenJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Gotta say, from the demos I've heard so far, to me it sounds like s**t! Very "Digital" and harsh sounding to my ears.

I play it for a hour

part 1 :
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa

part 2 :
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa-2
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MortenJ wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

I play it for a hour

part 1 :
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa

part 2 :
https://soundcloud.com/mortenjensen-5/roland-jd-xa-2

It will be competing with the access virus, for top synth in some setups...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I'm leaning towards skepticism on this one. Don't want to be too negative - it looks lovely, sounds very well.

But - like the Prophet6 - 4-octaves screams EDM to me. So I'm disappointed with 4-octaves and 4 voice analogue. You cannot claim a synth to be "Flagship" with those specs; and the fact that Roland are claiming that speaks volumes about thinking (profit centered EDM packages and not actual synth innovation).

Also - I'm a JP80 owner and while its Synth Tone "engine" is very nice indeed, it has a serious flaw in that PWM exhibits aliasing from about C4 upwards that is almost as loud as the wave itself. I flagged it with Roland last year and they have not fixed it - and to be honest I find it a bit "underhand" that they are selling a flawed synth engine in a new package when they know there's a serious flaw (PWM features in about 80% of the programs, rendering them unusable in quality critical scenarios).

I'm also disappointed with the LFO routing in the Supernatural Synth Tone - the JD800 blows it out of the water with respect to feature set, real time control and in my opinion sonic character.

I hope Roland will release a 5 or 6 octave version of this with a minimum of 8 analogue voices, but I won't hold my breath on that. In the mean time, I'll pass on this one.

@Bachus: I doubt that !

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what synths compete with the JD-XA, i.e. What synths will it replace in the various setups

- access virus
- nord electro
- roland v- synth
- roland jp 50
- king korg
- korg radias
- roland aira system 1..
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Have to say I'm leaning towards skepticism on this one. Don't want to be too negative - it looks lovely, sounds very well.

But - like the Prophet6 - 4-octaves screams EDM to me. So I'm disappointed with 4-octaves and 4 voice analogue. You cannot claim a synth to be "Flagship" with those specs; and the fact that Roland are claiming that speaks volumes about thinking (profit centered EDM packages and not actual synth innovation).

Agreed. I'm still not digging the sound though. No matter what the Demo, it always sounds thin to me. With Roland's manufacturing efficiencies, only 4 voices is PRETTY SAD. Not to mention, perhaps they're "Analog" but to my ears it certainly doesn't SOUND it. By this I don't mean "old", it's just a certain characteristic that full Analog synths seem to posses. This "Analog" sounds like a VA.

I'm actually a fan of EDM, and so far it has NONE of those sounds either. At least not what I hear from the big guys the last two years!

I don't get the 4 octave thing either. It's a deal breaker on the P6 and I agree it screams EDM. The thing is: AFAIK most EDM guys are all ITB and don't really perform live much. So WHO exactly are these boards marketed to?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course all of these issues we're raising are quite subjective.

I will say these positive things:

- It does look very nice to me
- The supernatural synth engine, PWM issue aside, is a very nice synth engine. I'm learning it extensively on the JP80 as we speak. Its filters are really exquisite - broad, natural, full of character. So I have to disagree that the JDXA doesn't sound well.

I honestly think that anyone who tries it up close WILL actually like the sound a lot. Dont go by demos, try it. And, modern analogue is always to be commended in my book.

Persoanlly, I just recoil from what I see as bad or lazy decisions, and I see lots of them wiht the JDXA, and hence I cant quite bring myself to quite trust in it. I just do not get why it's 4 octave, 4 voice. There is no rationale for that on a "Flagship" synth, period.

But it also the sheer "screw the users" attitude of Roland in not rolling up their sleeves and fixing the PWM issue that has really thrown me. Again, I just do not know who in Roland is deciding NOT to fix their existing Flagship JP80 (and whose user base they HAVE abandoned in this), and who in Roland lets a brand new product out with such a serious flaw, when they are aware of it. That speaks volumes to me about the attitude of the company - sloppy and lazy. they seem not to care !

But, as a a very experienced JD800 user, I can tell you that the JD800 uses interface is also far superior. LFO options and routing are hugely superior on the JD800. Envelope generators are also significantly more sophosticated, and the realtime, on-control-panel setting for aftertouch, and the sheer number of parameters aftertouch can control, wipes the floor with both the JP80 and the JDXA.

In fact the JD800 is similar to the CS 80 in this regard - the access to so many realtime parameters, including aftertouch directly on the control surface, places the JD800 in a quite unique place, and JDXA carries almost none of these exquisite realtime features over! Why ??

So for me, the JDXA is a retrograde step - its far less capable as a realtime control instrument - though its being marketed as such - and I think this is legitimate to bring up because it is the successor tot the JD800, supposedly.

But to end on a slightly positive note - I do think Roland are doing the right things with ARIA and System-1 - that's exciting to me. And admittedly, for first time buyer of a JDXA not carrying the 'baggage' of the JP80 experience I'm carrying, it too represents an exciting package - so overall Roland are moving in interesting directions, many of them new and innovative. If only they could clean up their capacity for too often making stupid decisions, I think they would be accepted universally.
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you guys getting worked up over the word "flagship"? This term is completely meaningless to me. Either the synth has the features you want or it doesn't. Either you can afford it or not. Is it important to you that you must love the "flagship" and it should meet your every single need otherwise huge disappointment & frustration sets in? I see it throw around the forums and I don't get it.

JDXA -Did you hear the Scott Tibbs demo? I'm not an EDM guy but I'm used to hearing these kinds of demos and it sounded pretty good to me. He's playing both the analog & the SN synth sections. Big filter sweeps and that cool glide thing he does with the pitch bend lever. Plenty of EFX is used here but I hear the analog section quite clear; considering I'm listening to a compressed video stream. Most folks have missed this but JDXA also has a patch remain aka seamless sound transition. This new crossover design is totally new & unique - nothing else includes this feature set. JDXA seems to key in on what folks want in a synth: plenty of knobs and controllers, aftertouch and great sound.

Let me clue you in on some "questionable" design compromises. It has a 4 octave keyboard, wall wart power supply and only analog 4 voices because it needs to hit a certain price point. Its $2199 US. Its not a $4000 Moog Voyager and it never intended to be. Its meant to be affordable. The fact that it has a 4 octave keyboard doesn't scream EDM or anything else for that matter. Put this board in front of Jordan Rudess and he'll shred it. Give it to Geoff Downes and he'll whip out classic Yes tunes. With that JDXA, Eyal Amir will blow you away with his unique sounds and tuneage. The only limitations are yours alone.

Finally, we've discussed this before Kevin but if you turn off the alternate PWM waves on the Jupiter most of the aliasing goes away. With alternates on, if you move your hands down an octave or so there is plenty to love. You can't hear anything when playing bass sounds. Dog whistles are still a problem! Its unfortunate Roland didn't fix this but there are plenty of other possibilities awaiting for you to discover.

My mantra has always been to focus on the strengths of any musical instrument. Everything has its advantages and weaknesses. Don't let the brand name get between you and the possibilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: