Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Trinity Plus Lost sounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan1011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Korg Trinity Plus Lost sounds Reply with quote

Hi there,can anyone help me please..i just gt my korg trinity plus from on of my friend..he have told me that everything was fine in that korg only that the sound volume bit low..what i did is,i hv tried for the solutions and most of them are saying to do reset ENTER+0+ON..and yes i manage to reset it..after that i realize that all my sounds are gone..now it shows INITIALCOMBI A000 and so on..can anyone help me to get back all the sounds..

Thanks
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can get back your sounds, so I hope you or your friend has a backup in the form of a PCG file.

Otherwise, you can probably download a PCG file with preload (factory) sounds from the Korg website.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dan1011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,as i knw we dont hv the backup file..if I download the file from the link you gv me do i need to save it in floopy disk?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

Didn't you receive a floppy disk with the factory pre-load PCG files when you acquired the Trinity? It should contain several soundsets.

Dan1011 wrote:
if I download the file from the link you gv me do i need to save it in floopy disk?

Yes.

Alternatively, you can use the free Trinitro software if you have a PC, a MIDI interface and MIDI cables.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or use trinitro to download the .pcg file from the archive here, then move that file to a floppy (no MIDI or interface needed).

Trinitro (PC only) will let you set up a user destination .pcg then drag and drop individual programs from other .pcg files -- all this is on your computer before any need to load. Note that the combis for any programs moved to a new location will be broken by changing the location of the constituent programs, so you will need to take notes on which program or program type any combination you want to reconstruct needs.

PCGTools (PC only) will, I think, preserve the connections or allow you some editing of combis to reconnect when either programs or combis are moved.

You can run either of these on a mac if you have the windows run environment installed. There is a Java program for Triton, LeLibby, but I don't think it is Trinity compatible.

If you don't have a floppy drive (many computers don't) they are available as a USB accessory (no installation) for about $20 US from most computer stores.

When I was moving programs around on my Trinity I did it all with Trinitro, with the resulting user .pcg's loaded via floppy discs.

FYI: a floppy will hold 2 to 3 .pcg files without sequence data; more for stock (A+B banks) Trinity, less for full version (A,B,C,D,Moss).

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Dan1011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout this guys,
http://www.korgforums.com/support/trinity.htm
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use both applications (Trinotro and PCG Tools), both can be used together and have their own features.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dan1011,

Yep, the download section here has a good selection of .pcg files from which to chose. Plus, they're free.

If you were looking just for the FACTORY voices to reload, that'd be a place to start. Your original question though was about recovering lost voices (which I fear you can't) and getting something loaded in place of INIT files (which you can).

Faced with the same problem -- all INIT -- I think I'd load the FACTORY .pcg files just to have the use of the keyboard.

But I'd follow quickly with starting my own program .pcg file, using a librarian as suggested in previous posts, of what I considered to be the best voices available for the Trinity in any given instrument type - best pianos, best pads, best leads, etc.

Then I'd consider combis to see where I wanted to reproduce them exactly (requires adding their programs) or use them as templates (for example a bass/keys split with a pad background can be adapted to many different combinations), or write my own based on my personal musical needs.

THAT purely personal .pcg would be invaluable in many different venues because you can (if you design it carefully) pull up nearly any voice you want instantly and have a good (no-garbage) set of hundreds of useable "presets" for any situation.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
geoffd99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Sound positions Reply with quote

Hi, I have just got a Trinity, I have the Dance disk, there are no extra cards. The synth has all original factory sounds.
If I load combis from the disk, they replace the combi (choose location for replacement). But if the new combi is using new sounds (programs) then do the old (sounds) programs get overwritten, so changing any other (original) combis that call on that sound?
I can try this manually but don't want to mess up the set. Trinitro I might try later, I have a Scope setup with midi.

Or is that the usual way is to load all the Dance disk in replacing the original banks?

I might be missing something here (probably!) but I think this is the right terminology etc.

Thanks.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound positions Reply with quote

geoffd99 wrote:
if the new combi is using new sounds (programs) then do the old (sounds) programs get overwritten

Only if new Programs are loaded at the same time as loading the new Combis.

It's very important to note that Combis do not contain any Program data, they only contain references (bookmarks) to Program positions.

Consequently, if you load new Combis but don't load the relevant Programs to go with them, and the existing Programs aren't the ones that were there when you saved the Combis, then the new Combis will be referencing incorrect (old/former) Programs... Thus the Combis will sound very different as they're effectively using different Programs to the ones you intended.

Ideally, when you save Combis you should also save the Programs that go with them, particularly if you're chopping and changing things a lot by moving, overwriting Programs etc.
geoffd99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Combis Reply with quote

I loaded about 50 new combis that sounded interesting.
There is no preview from disk, so these had be be loaded onto a less wanted existing combi.
So to correctly preview, you'd have to load all the programs and all the combis from the new disk (in this case the Dance Mix one).

By his method, you can't mix combis from different disks, since any new program (if they use them) would replace old programs, and so the sounds would be mixed up.

Was it designed like this, ie, just load a whole new disk for a new set of sounds, and no mix of sounds possible?

(Incidentally, the new sounds all seems fine ie not too weird, so I assume the combis I loaded used similar or same as normal programs).

I have not used any software editors because I do not have a PC/Mac midi setup with it now. I will be using an iPad for midi input, and midi out to a Scope setup for other synths.

Thanks.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Combis Reply with quote

geoffd99 wrote:
So to correctly preview, you'd have to load all the programs and all the combis from the new disk (in this case the Dance Mix one).

By his method, you can't mix combis from different disks, since any new program (if they use them) would replace old programs, and so the sounds would be mixed up.

Yes, effectively. Unless you use the Trinitro librarian or similar, or change Program/Combi reference locations manually.

For those who have the PBS-TRI upgrade, however, Program banks and Combis are doubled (A, B, C, D), which makes it easier to load in new Combis and Programs without affecting other banks.
Quote:
Was it designed like this, ie, just load a whole new disk for a new set of sounds, and no mix of sounds possible?

This limitation was likely dictated by technology at the time. Don't forget in 1995, when the Trinity was released - in the days even before 'VST' had been pioneered, and while everyone was still using OSs like Windows 3.1 and Windows 95) - DSPs and system memory were still in their early days and extremely expensive. The Trinity was already a truly massive leap from all other synths at that time. It may just not have some of the feature sets that people are used to in 2015, 20 years later. Wink
geoffd99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: 1995 Reply with quote

Yes aware of that, I bought a Creamware (now Scope) system in late 90s for that reason. I was confirming what I knew about the structure. I think the Dance Mix combi might use same programs (or very similar) as all seem perfectly fine.
Thanks for the info.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread your question. Although you can't preview Programs/Combies before you load them, you can load single banks, single Combis, single drumkits or even single Programs into existing banks of presets.

When you open the disk menu to load a PCG, instead of going to the drop-down menu "Load > Load Selected" choose "Open" instead and you can navigate the PCG at a lower level. This will give you access to all the groups of items saved in that PCG. You can either load these groups individually (by selecting one and choosing Load > Load Selected), or you can choose a group, say Programs, and press "Open" again and it will show you the banks of the Programs. Select a bank and press "Open" again and you can see individual Programs (patches) within that bannk. Select a Program and finally choose "Load > Load Selected" from the drop down menu and it will ask where you want to load the Program into.

So you can make a mix of your favourite patches this way, you just wont be able to preview the individual sounds in realtime beforehand. That said, the creative names used for Programs are mostly memorable enough to spark your memory of what that Program sounded like the last time you played it. You can load individual Combis too, but of course you'll most likely have to edit the Combi and re-reference all the Programs within the Combi to point to the correct Programs if they're not in their original positions.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

PCG Tools (PC only) will, I think, preserve the connections or allow you some editing of combis to reconnect when either programs or combis are moved.

You can run either of these on a mac if you have the windows run environment installed.
BB

Both true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: