Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Get MIDI Out on microARRANGER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Affection

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Can't Get MIDI Out on microARRANGER Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Newbie question. I have a microARRANGER and I'm trying to connect it to my computer such that I can use it to input notes into Ableton Live. I've tried looking at the basic instructions (going into Global, select Extern. Seq, pressing Full Upper), as well as 2 different USB/MIDI interfaces (an E-MU Xmidi 1x1 and a cheaper Neewer cable), but nothing seems to hit the DAW. (When I plug in other MIDI devices, they work.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Jon
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: MIDI Out on microARRANGER Reply with quote

Affection wrote:
I have a microARRANGER and I'm trying to connect it to my computer such that I can use it to input notes into Ableton Live. .. When I plug in other MIDI devices, they work.

You get Midi-Out of your MA! If plugged Midi-Devices works that means MA is sending Midi-messages, but only Ableton-Live of your DAW does not receive.

You get no Midi-In of your DAW. Your DAW is not configured to accept Midi-Events or does not recognize MA as Midi-Device. Maybe you did not select MA as Midi-In-Device of Ableton-Live or did not use channels where Midi-Events occurs.

PS: To allow an easier connection with external devices channels can be selected by configured Midi-Setups, where tracks are assigned to MIDI-channels to be transmitted. If you selected Midi-Setup "Ext Seq" maybe per default each Midi-Channel of this setup corresponds to "off" and only Midi-Out-Channel 1 corresponds to Upper1. In Ableton select Korg-MA (maybe seen with a similar designation as USB, micorArr ..) as Midi-In-Device and use channel 1 to receive events of Upper1 to be recorded with Ableton.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Affection

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. When I plug other MIDI devices ***into my laptop*** they work. I think it's the MA that's not sending a signal.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Midi-Basics (settings to send/receive channel-messages) Reply with quote

Affection wrote:
Sorry, I was a bit unclear. When I plug other MIDI devices ***into my laptop*** they work. I think it's the MA that's not sending a signal.

If you plug-in Midi-Devices into your laptop and you can work with Abetlon/Cubase you can see that Midi-Devices as Midi-In-Devices selected for Midi-Input. If you plug-in Korg-MA into your laptop, you should see Korg-Ma as Midi-Device to be selected for Input.
Do your software (Abetlon/Cubase) recognice Korg-Ma as Midi-Device to be seleceted for Input? Did you select Korg-Ma as Input-Device for your DAW-Software?

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Affection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Midi-Basics (settings to send/receive channel-messages) Reply with quote

Ableton shows me a device with the name of the MIDI-to-USB interface, not Korg-Ma.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Midi-Basics (settings to send/receive channel-messages) Reply with quote

Affection wrote:
Ableton shows me a device with the name of the MIDI-to-USB interface, not Korg-Ma.

That will be it, as it seems to be a plug-and-play USB MIDI Interface between Korg-MA and your DAW. Such Interfaces often offers status indicators for input signal, output signal and power - does indicators react if sending Midi-Events?

Select Abetlons Midi-In-Device to "MIDI-to-USB" and select a channel (maybe channel 1) to be ready for receiving/recording incoming Midi-Events.

Set channel1 in Midi-Out of your MA to "Upper1" and play on Upper1 of MA. If events do not arrive in Abetlon maybe to change Midi-Out-Connector with Midi-In-Connector. Midi-Out-Socket of your MA is to connect with Midi-In-Plug of USB-Midi-Interface - that is main rule of Midi: ones device Midi-Out is to connect with Midi-In of another device (sender = Midi-out, receiver = Midi-in).

Again if your transmission is not succesful maybe track-status of channel1 of your MA is set to "internal" - set track-status for tracks to be sent to "both" or "external".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: