Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Music Product. The Jack Cap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I considered applying for a patent but as the product is so cheap I did not bother.
I understand others could compete but I don't know that much about patents and decided for now not to bother.
If you think it's recommended then I will look into it.
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I have altered the eBay advert postage section
I now have much cheaper postage rates for Europe at just £2.99 and worldwide at £3.99.

I am looking at selling them on Amazon shortly too.
But for now if you want any then please call me direct or buy through eBay.
Thank you to the people who have bought some so far.
They should be with you shortly.
Regards. Brendan. 01924 366555
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrendanG wrote:
Thanks. I considered applying for a patent but as the product is so cheap I did not bother.
I understand others could compete but I don't know that much about patents and decided for now not to bother.
If you think it's recommended then I will look into it.

Now that the product is released, it's too late. You can't file a patent on something that has already been released into the public market. The time to do it is before it's released. So don't worry about it. Wink

BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Stephen. Thanks for the info.

I forgot to mention. Jack Cap is on Facebook.
That's my main page when lots more pictures and info can be found.
It would be great if all you Fellow Keyboard Players would join the Page and get it off the ground.
You're more than welcome to send in your rig pictures and ask any questions on there.
Many thanks. Brendan.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the United States I believe you have up to 1 year to file a patent but that is not the case in many other countries.

From http://www.kuesterlaw.com/when.html
Quote:
When Should I File a Patent Application?

Generally speaking, the first inventor of a claimed invention has the sole right to file for and receive a patent in the United States. However, there are certain deadlines which an inventor must meet in order to avoid loss of patent rights. In order to preserve rights to acquire a United States Patent, the inventor must file a patent application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office within one year of the first date on which the invention was described in a printed publication, in public use or on sale. The interpretation of the terms "printed publication", "public use" and "on sale" encompass an infinite variety of factual situations and are difficult to generalize here. However, to be on the safe side, the inventor should consider that any time an invention is disclosed to another party or used by the inventor for purposes other than experimentation, the statutory period of one year has begun to toll. An application should be filed within that one year period.
On the other hand, many countries other that the United States require that a patent application be filed prior to the time that the invention is in public use or on sale. Therefore, if you anticipate that you will or may ever be seeking patent protection in countries other than the United States, it will be necessary that an application be filed either in the United States or, under some circumstances, in the other country before the invention has been in public use or on sale, or made publicly known, anywhere in the world. Thus, it is very important to seek advice from a patent attorney immediately if you are now or might eventually be interested in seeking patent protection in countries other than the United States.

Since it is generally the first inventor who is solely entitled to a patent in the United States, it is very important that each inventor maintain good and clear documentation evidencing the dates of creation of various aspects of the invention. While maintaining confidentiality, it is good to have drawings, descriptions, inventive ideas and new thoughts put on paper, preferably in a bound notebook. These tangible drawings and writings should be dated, witnessed, notarized and/or preserved under the government's "Disclosure Document Program" or provisional patent application program.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When Should I File a Patent Application?

Generally speaking, the first inventor of a claimed invention has the sole right to file for and receive a patent in the United States. However, there are certain deadlines which an inventor must meet in order to avoid loss of patent rights. In order to preserve rights to acquire a United States Patent, the inventor must file a patent application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office within one year of the first date on which the invention was described in a printed publication, in public use or on sale. The interpretation of the terms "printed publication", "public use" and "on sale" encompass an infinite variety of factual situations and are difficult to generalize here. However, to be on the safe side, the inventor should consider that any time an invention is disclosed to another party or used by the inventor for purposes other than experimentation, the statutory period of one year has begun to toll. An application should be filed within that one year period.

If that's true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't based on this quote from this site, although it goes against what I thought I remembered) then, if you are still within the one year period, you might want to seriously consider filing a US patent application. Although this can be costly (based on experience). But your product seems unique and possibly patentable.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.
I've never noticed before, but a quick search for Jack Cap on eBay brings up hundreds sellers selling these for 3.5mm sockets. Some are the exact same idea, some go much further and have little cartoon animals on the end of them. Designed for iPhones, and many others too.

Seems nobody is selling them for ¼ inch though, so best to push forward on this as soon and as much as possible now.

I wouldn't bother patenting the idea though. Seems it would be a waste of money as they already exist as a product for 3.5mm in lost of different combinations.

Regards
Sharp
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i have to say i dont really know how patents work, but i did find just one similar product, so i dont know if i can apply.
From what i can gather the differences are its :-
A, made from hard plastic that could cause damage if it gets knocked.
B. much bulkier meaning it could easily get knocked and will not fit into a flight case as easily,
C, not patent related, but it costs £8.24 each, mine work out at 25p each
Search Amazon Neutrik Dummy Plug Jack.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got an amazing idea and I'm totally impressed that you went all the way with this.
I'm not at all concerned with the colour. I think even a brighter colour like neon yellow would work for me, especially if you need some on a dimly lighted stage. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Just curious. Where on the planet are you exactly?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thank you for your kind words,
My address is,
Armystall
31 Brook Street,
Wakefield,
West Yorkshire,
WF1 1QW
England
01924 366555

I sell military clothing etc hence the name Armystall,
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Music Product. The Jack Cap Reply with quote

BrendanG wrote:

Its also speeds up setting up time as i only use 2 of the 9 inputs on the back of the Nord Stage2 and 2 of the 12 on my Korg M3 so i leave these empty and cap the rest off, then i know without having to check which is the sustain input and which is the left mono input, voila, no more mistakes on dark stages when rushing to set up.

Interesting and simple but effective design, Wink

I would welcome like some others have mentioned,different coloured ones,that way you could identify inputs and outs or pedal ins by colours.

Have you considered other colours for these or does this increase production costs or are the materials not available in other colours.

Laughing
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this takes off and you could/would offer various colors. "Nord red", "Motif grey", plain black to be unobtrusive and some neon color for those who want better visibility would be great.
BrendanG
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I'm definatley going to get the black ones soon so that I have two styles to go at.
I'm also considering taking out an advert in a magazine, i'm just not sure which one yet.
Again, thank you for your kind words and colour ideas. 😉
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advertise in Keyboard Magazine because as far as I know, it's the biggest but your invention also applies to mixers, guitar amps etc.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound On Sound reaches a lot of people with mixer boards collecting dust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: