Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microarranger Style Play MIDI out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvc1598

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Microarranger Style Play MIDI out Reply with quote

Greetings,

I would like to use the Microarranger to record Style parts in Cubase. Does anyone know if this is possible

IE: I would like to send the Style Drums out MIDI Channel 10 and the Bass out MIDI Channel 2..

I did try searching and obviously have found some information on Global MIDI out but it doesnt seem to matter what I do, When I set up MIDI input in CUBASE, all midi notes from all parts default to MIDI Channel 1.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Anton Flint
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Microarranger Style Play MIDI out Reply with quote

tvc1598 wrote:
I would like to use the Microarranger to record Style parts in Cubase. I would like to send the Style Drums out MIDI Channel 10 and the Bass out MIDI Channel 2

In the page Midi Out Channels of your MA set Channel2 to track Bass and set Channel10 to track Drum.

So you get messages out of MA on channel 2 and channel 10. Use Midi-In-Settings of your Cubase to receive channels 2 and 10 to record Baß and Drums.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
tvc1598

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I found these settings in the manual and tried doing exactly as you described (And I even tried this before posting) but it doesn't seem to work for me..

Regardless of the settings, All MIDI notes seem to come out on Midi Channel 1 only.

It started to frustrate the crap out of me!!

Maybe it is a problem with Cubase. I will try it in another DAW..

Sincerely,
Anton
tvc1598

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: SOLUTION. Reply with quote

So.. I figured this out for anyone who may be having the same issue..

Cubase allows you to specify which incoming MIDI port to assign to a channel but you have to use a Cubase function called "Input Transformer" on each channel that you are receiving MIDI from the MicroArranger..

Basically, Input Transformer is a MIDI filter and they presets to "pass channels". So, I would pass Channel 10 to the Software Synth that was my drum kit and Channel 9 to the Software SYnth that was my Bass.

I realized that this was the case when I found out that I could choose the Midi Input Channel on Ableton Live but not on Cubase (Only the MIDI output channel). Apparently cubase receives MIDI information from all channels form the chosen input device unless filtered with Input Transformer (which is why I was seeing all of the arranger data on one channel)..

This may be elementary for some I suppose but It did stump me for a few days..

I did make sure to set the MIDI out channels to DRUM, BASS, ACC1, ACC2, ACC3 and PERC appropriately in the MicroArranger Global MIDI settings.

Hope this at least helps someone..
tacman7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just record the track and then there's a function on the midi menu I believe that will dissolve the midi into separate tracks by midi channel number.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Midi-Basics (settings to send/receive channel-messages) Reply with quote

tacman7 wrote:
You can also just record the track and then there's a function on the midi menu I believe that will dissolve the midi into separate tracks by midi channel number.

Midi-Notes and Midi-Control-Changes are Midi-Channel-Messages. Korg uses tracks to send Midi-Events - Realtime-Tracks like Upper1/2/3/Lower and Background-Tracks (Drum, Bass ..etc in StylePlayMode or Seq1-tr1, Seq1-tr2 .. etc in Songplay-Mode).

In Midi-Output-Page you decide what channel should be used for your tracks - if you decide each of the 16 channels to be "off" nothing is transmitted; if you decide your Upper1-Events to be transmitted with channel 5 select "Upper1" to channel5.

Now each Note-/Controller-Event you play with Upper1 is passing your Midi-Out-Channel5 and also each Midi-Event is signed as Event with property "Channel5".

Korg does nothing dissolving Midi into tracks - you sign Midi-Channel-Events to be sent by selecting a channel-number for your decided track!

It seems to be your problems occurs with Ableton, Cubase and your DAW. If Korg sends Midi-Channel-Events with channel 5 your DAW only get events on channel5 if also assigned as input. In DAW assign Korg-MM as Midi-Device to be used for Midi-Input and open channel5 of your Software (Abetlon, Cubase) to be able receiving Midi-Channel-Events on a Cubase-/Abetlon-track assigned to channel5.

Whatever features (Ports/InputTransformers/MidiFilter) Cubase/Abetlon-Software is using to receive channel-messages: it is important to recognice your Korg-MM (maybe named with USB/Korg or similar) as Midi-Input-Device and to use that channel as input channel where Midi-Events occurs sent by Korg-MM (send on channel1 and receive on channel2 nothing will be transmitted, use "unknown Device" as Input-Device of your DAW and nothing will be received as input).

Example: Use Midi-Output of Korg-MM to assing "Drums" to channel10. Use Korg as Midi-Input-Device for your DAW and set features of your Software (Ports/InputTransformers/MidiFilter) to receive Midi-Events on channel 10 - you will get it on channel 10.

PS: Be sure not to change between Modes (Songplay-Mode / Styleplay-Mode / Sequencer-Mode) as this will also change Midi-Setups - so you loose Midi-settings (channels to be used for bgr-/rt-tracks) you made before and if you did not save it as individual Midi-setup.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: