Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Korg Arranger should I get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subhap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Which Korg Arranger should I get? Reply with quote

I currently own a General Music (GEM) - WK4 + via Midi Roland JV 2080.
Here is my music work on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-illusions. Please listen to song - Metropolis and around timeline 2:12 where a note is being held (master transpose disabled) while Riff is changing the chords for the bass.

The WK4 which I own is made in 1996 and styles/riffs are backed up into Floppy disk and internal HDD.

What I want is:
1. Create User Styles
- ability to edit seamlessly by deleting section of keys or range of keys.
- ability to rehearse (punch in mode) test recording RIFFs, accompaniment in real-time.

NOTE: the current arranger I have. I have to stop the recording, move
from Overdub into Punch-In mode play it out, Stop, get into Overdub and
record. If I make a mistake, I have to go into microscope and delete
one note at a time.

2. Ability to turn off Master Transpose for specific Accompaniment
track.
- So if I record say in A-min, that plays like a drum track not
affected by transpose.

3. Range of Percussion sounds from around the world.
4. Ability to record Guitar riffs that has the natural strumming
sounds.

The sounds are coming off my Roland JV-2080 unit with 8 expansion
boards (Asia, World, Hip-Hop, Session, Orchestra, Dance, Bass&Drums,
Vintage Synth).

Will 600QT suffice? I got an advice from zZsounds that I should go with PA900 ?

My Music URL : http://seacliffrecords.com/

I do not use preset styles , i build all of them from scratch.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Pa600, great machine.
The main different I see between 600 and 900 is:
1. pa600 - keys not supporting after-touch (Korg Pa600 itself support, but not keys)
2. pa900 - has Sophisticated TC-Helicon Voice Processor, with dedicated professional effects, including a 3-voice harmonizer.
3. pa900 - has XDS Double Player with X-Fader.
both supporting latest format style, read all korg styles.
If not the money (price) issue I choose Pa900. Smile
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
subhap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: How about Korg Pa1x Reply with quote

Will Korg Pa1X address my requirements?
jimsweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest, if you have a fat pocket, you go with PA3X.
Or else stick with PA 900 at least.
Snorkum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Subhap:

I too had, and still have a GEM SX3. Technology has changed dramatically. I researched for 3 months and listened to countless demos on you-tube. I was torn between the PSR-S950, PA600 and PA900. I had other people listen to the difference audio between those keyboards without telling them which one they were lsitening to. Then I called different internet dealers for pricing. Of course you have to negotiate for the best price. At the end I decided for the PA900. Man, am I happy I did that. Of course everything is personal preference. For one, I used to play a lot with aftertouch. Pa600 - no aftertouch. If you like to do your own sound, Pa900 has more memory. Keypad is much better than PSR-S950 and Pa600. Like the gentleman said before, it has TC-Helicon if like to sing. The only negative, if there is a negative, support from Korg stinks at this time. I rely a lot on this forum and the memebers helping solving problems.
I am very happy. I spent the couple of bucks extra and got the Pa900. At least I will not outgrow this one as quickly as I did the SX3.
Good luck.
subhap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Korg Pa900 then Reply with quote

It looks like I have been convinced the Korg Pa900 is the way to go. Not Pa1X either.

Once again this is the my music works which I did using the sounds of Roland JV2080 with GEM WK4. The performance settings (meaning Style or Riff associated) with certain lead instrument sounds is the key. I believe Korg has something similar.

In WK4 the Midi channels for Drum track is 9, while Roland it is 10. So I swapped 10 and 9. And Lead instruments tracks are : either 7 or 8 (midi), while PADS backing is either 1 or 2 or both.

One thing I noticed is, if I program Styles with backing pads and I program Fill-IN or Drum roll, the backing pads gets turned off. Does that happen on Korg or that is well covered.. ?

Music link (For downloads): http://seacliffrecords.com/
Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-illusions
GoldenLights album: https://soundcloud.com/goldenlights
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everything is cover in manuals.
Here is one for Pa900: http://www.korgpa.com/support/products/arrangers/pa900/pa900-manuals.html
I think this going be best if you download all read it and compare, looks like you got experience with arranger already, so be easy for you understand manual.
Some things maybe is missing in manuals, then ask here, we be happy to share ours experiences.
Korg website has some tutorial explain how Korg Pa arrangers works.
http://www.korgpa.com/support/tutorials.html
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pa1x will also cover the same function you are currently using your existing keyboard for .
al urezzio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: pa 900 vs pa3x Reply with quote

i to went crazy over which one to buy , read all the pro & cons , listen to all the videos ... everyone always said the same thing , if you have the bucks go for the 3x ...well at my age i figured this will be my last one my pa800 has lasted 12 yrs , & i don't have a $$$ problem so i order the pa3x with the PAAS speaker system ,,after only a few days i amazed at this keyboard ,,I'm sure the 900 is a solid keyboard but the 3x was not cheaply made ...it was also made in italy ... sounds & styles are amazing ..i was also able to download a lot of my programs from 800 to the 3x ..i have a lot of sounds / instruments that i wanted to keep ..i have no complaints ,,now the paas speaker system ,is like they said , not as powerful , but for my needs its perfect & when i play a gig where i need more volume i use my amp ...so i will end by saying what was said to me , if $$$$ are not a problem go for ... i was lucky enough to get a discount & also 18 months free financing ..hope this helps
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: pa 900 vs pa3x Reply with quote

al urezzio wrote:
the paas speaker system ,is like they said , not as powerful , but for my needs its perfect

The PAas is just as powerful and I guess even more powerful than your PA800 speakers were.
To get more volume out of it, you can tweak the MAXX Audio.

If you do that you can get quite a loud, heavy and crisp sound out of the PAas.

You need to play a little with the settings; there is not a "1 best setting" for it, it all depends on the room you play in (acoustics) and your taste.

It would have been great if Korg had provided a few more 'basic settings' for it, like sometimes can be seen in audio systems: "Hall", "Small room", "Pop", "Rock", "Classic" etcetera.

To hear the difference, see/listen for instance this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OP772Sap84
(Thanks Daniel for posting this on YouTube.)

Play in style. Wink
al urezzio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: paas speakers Reply with quote

fransman , thank you ,i tweeted it & it really gave it a boost
al urezzio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: eq Reply with quote

i meant tweaked it duh lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: