Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample Reply with quote

Hi guys, just thought i posted this here for anyone interested. It's the original Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample. I've been struggling with this for a while but never been able to get the riff to sound right. This is actually the original used on the album as far as i can tell. I've included the two versions, the album one and the live one. The album one was just the beginning of the sample with the end tail faded out. He used that on tour and also sometimes a looped version that i've also included. After 2003 they started to use the full original sample witch i think it sounds better Very Happy

I've also included the original EmulatorII sample from where that riff and sample was made.

https://copy.com/YyCHL7wxFjW9oqB9

Cheers.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Hi guys, just thought i posted this here for anyone interested. It's the original Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample. I've been struggling with this for a while but never been able to get the riff to sound right. This is actually the original used on the album as far as i can tell. I've included the two versions, the album one and the live one. The album one was just the beginning of the sample with the end tail faded out. He used that on tour and also sometimes a looped version that i've also included. After 2003 they started to use the full original sample witch i think it sounds better Very Happy

I've also included the original EmulatorII sample from where that riff and sample was made.

https://copy.com/YyCHL7wxFjW9oqB9

Cheers.

Thanks for this. My band has decided to do this song so this is a timely gift.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, glad it's usefull for you Very Happy

BTW l, the sample is in the original D# key so if you need to play in a different key be sure to do a pitch shift on it but maintaining the same length (or time) so it sounds right. Mapping on the keyboard an playing on a different key will also alter the duration of the sample and may not sound right.

I've been building my Genesis / Peter Gabriel patch library, been searching through all my emulator II and III massive sample libraries and the fairlight ones also, it's a very laborious job but once in a while you find the actual samples used by our heroes and it's a joy when it happens Cool
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting.
I grabbed this from the CD but of course the "real thing" is better Cool

We have played Sledgehammer several times in the past, though we are really an early era (Gabriel/Collins/Hackett) Genesis tribute.

Always nice to get a present Very Happy

www.losendos.co.uk
kaptainkeyboard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Alan, I grabbed this from the CD and broke it down into 4 discreet samples and created a multisampke so the it was no longer tempo dependant and I could play it live (we don't use click tracks).
The real thing is so much better, but in a live environment I think it comes across pretty close.
It comes in around 3.20 in the following clip.

http://youtu.be/MDrx1apdZIE
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great performance of the song Very Happy
You are right, live it sounds great, I couldn't tell that it was taken from the cd, great work.

Actually Peter's keyboard player uses the beginning and the tail end of the sample live separate to make it look like a single sample (as they only used the beginning on the album) but one can tell it's two samples, and I think it sounds unnatural (especially because the front piece has heavy reverb, and the tail end is dry) I've joined both together, front and end, on the live version so the transition was smooth and added similar reverb to the end tail, so I think its smoother and more consistent now.
darksound10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!! Does anybody still have this sample and can share it to me? I will be very VERY thankful. Regards!
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer

Last edited by Geoff Flynn on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We covered Sledgehammer a couple of years ago. I build a Kronos program from a copy of the original EII sample (I have an Oberheim DPX1 sample player that will play EII disks)

As far as I can tell there was only 1 original sample in that EII program, if you let it play out it covers all of the bits used on the original record.

I made a Kronos multi sample up from two Shaku samples taken from the DPX 1 one I pitched shifted without changing the length in Soundforge I then normalised them both so that they cover most keys without too much change in the vibrato and breath effects included in the sample. Just allowing the single sample to span the keys needed makes the lower keys produce very noticeable slowed vibrato - so it’s a common trick to use a waveform app to change the pitch without changing the length. This new sample can be used to cover the lower or higher notes in a multi sample to keep the instrument sounding more realistic.

The biggest issue with the Shaku is making it loud enough live to match the mix on the record. It doesn’t cut through the mix easily live. Which is OK at the start but in the solo you may as well play anything! Lol

Anyway I’m happy to share the Kronos files I made if there's anyone still interested pm me.
Cheers
Steve
Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video shows how that sample was played to create the sledgehammer flute riff https://youtu.be/tPuNbhJrpsk?t=109
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get this in 2015 when first posted, now the original link is dead. Is this sample available anywhere else?
Hector Space

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I didn't get this in 2015 when first posted, now the original link is dead. Is this sample available anywhere else?

Hi
I've extracted the PCG and KMP/KSF files for the EII shakuhachi (sledgehammer fame) from my kronos.. There doesn't seem to be anywhere on here to post them!
If there is a place for these here pls let me know.
Cheers
Steve
afr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here below

https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/kronos-nautilus/exs26.html

timg11 wrote:
I didn't get this in 2015 when first posted, now the
original link is dead. Is this sample available anywhere else?
FrankWahl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Sledgehammer Shakuhachi sample Reply with quote

Or here (great!):
https://www.narfsounds.com/product-page/kronos-80s-booster-pack

Best regards
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: