Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I took a leap...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: So I took a leap... Reply with quote

I've been using my K73 for live gigs since 2011. I'm always frustrated that the instrument bottoms out @ E instead of C. The K88 won't fit in my car and I don't want to deal with the weight,

I've had the PX-5S for over a year now. I've commented several times that I think the best combination is the PX and the K61, but I really don't want to carry two instruments to gigs. But giving it more thought, it would be easier to carry those 2 than a K88.

So, I bought a Kronos 2 61. It was delivered yesterday, but I've been on vacation. I'll open it tomorrow and dive in. We'll see how it goes...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I just love the keyed on my K61X, well and everything else!

Post up your thoughts on the differences between the K73 and the PX5s keypads if you would. Thanks!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Excellent! I just love the keyed on my K61X, well and everything else!

Post up your thoughts on the differences between the K73 and the PX5s keypads if you would. Thanks!

I already did as part of this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98760&highlight=

For a quick answer, I find them very similar. The Casio seems just a bit lighter to me. Since that thread started, I've paid more attention to the keyboard noise. The Casio is a bit noisier.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I wii go read that thread!
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently took the same leap, but the other way around Wink

I've had the K61 for four years, but always preferred the idea of an 88 key - I'd been running the K61 from an XV-88, and the plan was to sell both of them on... until I hooked both Korgs up.

The sound of eight Karma modules running is heaven, but what I'd really like to do is assign odd notes to one Kronos and even notes to the other. I've had the occasional synth module in the past that allowed this in order to double the polyphony, but I guess Korg didn't feel the need. I'm pretty sure there's an OSX desktop app somewhere that does this?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway that sounds interesting!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in luck! Go to the GLOBAL MIDI/MIDI tab, and under Note Receive, instead of All, choose Odd/Even on each Kronos.

One Kronos will play odd MIDI noptes, and the other will play EVEN. Let us know if that seems to allow you to have more voices going on...
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
You're in luck! Go to the GLOBAL MIDI/MIDI tab, and under Note Receive, instead of All, choose Odd/Even on each Kronos.

One Kronos will play odd MIDI noptes, and the other will play EVEN. Let us know if that seems to allow you to have more voices going on...

Many thanks psionic311, just what I was looking for. I guess I should have read the manual - Works perfectly, but really weird if you play two different combis Wink
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Broadwave, I've never known anyone who's used that feature before.

I'm curious how well it works for you in general use. For example, in a four note C7 chord, the notes would be 3 odds and 1 even. Do you find that it eliminates note stealing or does it just help eliminate? I realize we could always create layers that would over run polyphony, but I'm curious about general use...
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
Do you find that it eliminates note stealing or does it just help eliminate? I realize we could always create layers that would over run polyphony, but I'm curious about general use...

I suppose it depends on how many instances of a chord like C7, and how dense the layers are - I have noticed plenty of stealing recently, which is probably due to the fact that my writing has become more complex since I bought the original Kronos - lots of tightly clustered 9ths... I'm a big John Barry fan Wink

But now that the reality has dawned on me, I've realized that an even/odd note distribution a bit of a moot point really - of course it will *help* with the polyphony, but in a studio set-up, I'm probably just better off dividing the DAW tracks between the Kronos/Kronoses/Kroni (!!??), or creating "split" combis across the two synths.

Originally, I had no intention of keeping the K61, but now that I've realized the potential, especially of using two Karma engines, I'm having a hard time giving it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: