Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up MIDI program data to computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jive_Honkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Backing up MIDI program data to computer Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to back up my unique Radias patches that I created. Is the MIDI dump data transmitted through the audio outs? IO tried connecting my Radias USB out to my computer. My computer didn't seem to recognize it.

I've backed up MIDI data with my other synth modules. Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with the Radias. The owner's manual (as is typically the case) was written by someone who didn't cover all of the bases.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The manual is obviously a manual, not an introduction to MIDI or USB. But it is in there! Anyway, that is another discussion, let's move on...

The Radias will NOT dump MIDI data through audio out. It sent either over the MIDI out or the USB. Your options are:
1. Get a USB to MIDI DIN connector cable, in Windows, most of these cables are recognized as MIDI ports and do not need a driver.
2. Get a plain USB cable and connect the Radias through its USB port. (As you tried.) In order to have this functional, you need to grab and install the USB driver from the Korg site. Otherwise it will not work.

The starting point for is this: http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=262. When you download the driver there, grab also the excellent sound editor. That one can be used as well to back up the Radias (librarian function), but on top of that it allows you to view and further edit your patches.

Have fun!
Jive_Honkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
2. Get a plain USB cable and connect the Radias through its USB port. (As you tried.) In order to have this functional, you need to grab and install the USB driver from the Korg site. Otherwise it will not work.

The starting point for is this: http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=262. When you download the driver there, grab also the excellent sound editor. That one can be used as well to back up the Radias (librarian function), but on top of that it allows you to view and further edit your patches.

Have fun!

OK. Installed the driver. Now I open Nuendo and set up a midi channel and one of the input options is "Radias 1 MIDI out". I rolled and recorded and started the Radias transmission. Unfortunately no midi data recorded. I will give that sound editor a shot. I thought that Nuendo would do the same thing.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Every software tool which is able to handle MIDI SysEx data should work...

Fine, at least the driver seems to work, because you see the RADIAS 1 MIDI out port. Razz Btw, strange that you see it as in an input in Nuendo... It is an output for your PC. MIDI data sent to this port will travel over the USB cable, through the RADIAS and appear on the MIDI OUT DIN connector of the RADIAS...

So it is not that port one that you need, you should see another one as well: RADIAS 1 KBD/KNOB or something like that (look maybe in the output options... see before). It is on this one that the MIDI dump will appear. Make sure that on the RADIAS the MIDI routing is set to either USB or USB+MIDI (See the manual, global settings, page 4 MIDI, parameter 3 Routing).

Good luck.
Jive_Honkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes RADIAS is set to the USB+MIDI setting (by default I think).

Now on to Nuendo... MIDI channel set up - MIDI 01

I set input to RADIAS 1 KBD/KNOB
Output (which I guess doesn't matter) is set to RADIAS 1 MIDI OUT
MIDI channel is set to "Any"

I roll and record in Nuendo then start the RADIAS MIDI dump of one program, but my Nuendo MIDI track records nothing.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed. MIDI out does not matter and you better choose RADIAS SOUND if you would ever dump your backup back.
But that's something for later... Are you sure Nuendo (I don't have that) is able to record SysEx messages? In that sense, even the MIDI channel does not matter, as it is a separate channel apart from the 1 to 16 for note data. I would first try with e.g. MidiOx which is a low level MIDI tool.
Btw, did you try the Korg RADIAS editor. That one normally configures itself automatically when hooked up via USB.

Did a quick google... I see various issues with Nuendo ans SysEx reported... There is even a filter that may be turned off...

Bye.
Jive_Honkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Using MIDI-OX is not easy. I had to dig around on the Internet to figure out how to use it. For anyone else reading this, here's what I did...

1) Connect the Radias via USB.
2) Launch MIDI-OX.
3) Select RADIAS 1 KBD as input device (can't remember where I navigated to MIDI-OX's device setup)
4) Choose View / Sysex.
5) In the Sysex window, choose Sysex > Receive manual dump.
6) Start dump from Radias
7) Click on the "display window" of the sysEX view and select " Save as ..."
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good! Very nice as well to put down the steps for MIDI-OX!

It is indeed not that easy. As I said it is a low level tool, meaning it is not very nice from GUI point of view, it displays the bare bytes in hexadecimal format, and so on. But, it is almost, if not, the closest you can get to the bare MIDI data. I often launch it to debug MIDI things. If it works in MIDI-OX but not in another SW tool, it's a wrong configuration, lack of feature or bug in that SW...

Step 3: You'll find it in the menu "Options" and then "MIDI devices".

Bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: