Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe to buy an SV-1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiwiPete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Is it safe to buy an SV-1? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm contemplating buying an SV-1. I love the retro styling, EP sounds, and the quick access to core parameters.

I am however quite nervous about the reliabilty having read loads of stuff here about keyboard issues.

There was a report somewhere that quality was better in models from 2012 on. Can anyone verify this? (The keyboard will only be used at home so will not be transported frequently.)

Also interested in people's thoughts re 73 vs 88 keys. The range on the 73 I've played seems pretty good, and I'm not sure I'd need it to go much higher, but thought perhaps having another octave at the bass end might be more useful.

Finally, I know there is a second sound pack available for download (I assume these are patch variations on the original core sounds rather than new samples), but I've also been told that some sounds from other Korg keyboards can be loaded on the SV-1 as well. Anyone have any info on this?

Any other thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete.
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same keyboard (RH3) as used on the Kronos 88, so should be OK.
The keyboard did seem to change around 2012-ish. The older keyboards have a label that states "RH3", while the new keyboards state "RH3 - made in Japan".

There are reports of the earlier keyboards on both the SV-1 and the Kronos having some issues (odd spacing, intermittent velocity problems, stuck keys). However, mine is an earlier model, and has caused no trouble (yet!), so while reliability may have caused issues for some, it was by no means a problem for all users.

I think if I was buying now, I'd probably get the 73. More portable, lighter, not really much (if any) compromise while playing -- unless you're planning on playing Classical repertoire that requires the full 88 keys, that is.

Soundpack 2 included some new sounds (new samples), but they were not added by the update - just some additional samples that were in the ROM all along, but hidden. It is not possible to add new sounds - either from other Korg keyboards, or from your own samples.

It's not a flexible, extensible workstation like the Kronos. It's a Stage Piano, specializing in the sounds of Vintage instruments, with the coolest look on the planet. If that's what you want, then it can't be beat.
KiwiPete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul - thanks for the response. Great to know that not everyone is effected by the keybed issues, so I think I'll give it a go.

I'm not really after millions of sounds, as I tend to use the same handful all the time on my current keyboard and I think the SV-1 will give me quite a few more usable sounds than I have now, and hopefully with a lot more ability to tweak them easily.

Cheers,
Pete.
MamboKeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiPete wrote:
Hi Paul - thanks for the response. Great to know that not everyone is effected by the keybed issues, so I think I'll give it a go.

I'm not really after millions of sounds, as I tend to use the same handful all the time on my current keyboard and I think the SV-1 will give me quite a few more usable sounds than I have now, and hopefully with a lot more ability to tweak them easily.

Cheers,
Pete.

Hi Pete,

Did you ever purchase the SV1? If so, I'm interested to hear your thoughts after owning it for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: