Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG KIDDING US! PA3X IS BETTER THAN 4?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that KORG PA4X worth buying?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 29 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 60

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll here (which I think most agree is fairly pointless) does raise a lot of questions - soon to be answered when we get the manuals.

PERFORMANCEs are gone - well, they've renamed them "Keyboard Sets" - the "PA3X "linked PERFORMANCE-STYLE" option (button) has gone but this seems to be managed now via SET lists and SONGBOOK.
Regarding the ACC1-5 mute/unmute - well I use this a lot on my PA3X assigned to a ASSIGNMENT BUTTON - I am hoping that these options are not removed from "button assignment" options.

But back to the "worn-out record" - can't really judge anything until we have the details.
We've got some pricing indicators, it actually exists, some have already touched and played it SO….
………come on Korg - these PDFs must be there already!!!

There is a lot of "operational" changes judging from the Quick Guide - I will have to establish if these suit my needs (which my PA3X does perfectly).

We're all in the same boat right now - WAITING!!!

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In keeping with the topic title - PA4X better than PA3X for organ lovers:-
PA4X Specifications wrote:
Digital Drawbar Organ sound engine

That is NEW - could this be more like a CX3?
Is this a dedicated sound engine?
Will we get the full emulation this time around? (C & V vibratos, leakage, Leslie cabinets, distortion etc)?

Will we now get some great presets replacing the horrid "V" organs (velocity sensitive multisample-built-n rotary effects)?

Come on - get those documents to us!!!

Oh!!!! Any news of an editor? Beer ROFL

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

Will we get the full emulation this time around? (C & V vibratos, leakage, Leslie cabinets, distortion etc)?

Will we now get some great presets replacing the horrid "V" organs (velocity sensitive multisample-built-n rotary effects)?

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

How about some VOX or Farfisa and other organ sounds on top of the B3?
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
karmathanever wrote:

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

How about some VOX or Farfisa and other organ sounds on top of the B3?

Those would be good as well, but a fully functional CX3 type sound engine with its own dedicated effects and control possibilities, similiar to Kronos and Oasys, would be fantastic! The Pa3xle does have a drawbars sound available on a line with the CX3 but it has some limits.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Introduction pages in user guide: ''plus new digital drawbars
with leakage and key on/off noises.''

I find the Vox Organ sound in my Pa1x quite acceptable - I only use it in one song, anyway. As for a Farfisa Compact Duo sound, then er, no thanks. Very Happy
zoric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't add 3 MfX per sound and sample compression ,not only me but a lot of people will skip upgrading from Pa3x to Pa4x....400Mb of memory!?i can't load my set from Pa3x ,not just because I have more than 400mb compressed samples,but I can't load my compressed drum kits into Pa4x..so count me in for the disappointed user.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious as to what out there gives you 3MFX per sound?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
Mainstage and VSTs.. Its the bane of current day hardware instruments, that they dont have the computing power to keep up with software sollutions..

Not even Kronos has this much raw power currently..

But in the end, you dont want your effects as part of the sample, you want the raw sample, and the effects being added manually to it..

I would love to see a hardware instrument with 3 insert effects/sound... But i dont think we are going to see that for quite some time, untill finally someone decides to build an arranger with an Intel i7 inside.. Its still beyound me why this whole hardware instrument world is stuck still using last centuries CPU power in €4000 instruments
zoric

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:

As you know Pa3x has 3 MFX per one performance....and one IFX....so what's the idea to add less MFX to a newer model?ok one MFX is not active when you use IFX but ok still there are 3 MFX.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoric wrote:
Dikikeys wrote:

As you know Pa3x has 3 MFX per one performance....and one IFX....so what's the idea to add less MFX to a newer model?ok one MFX is not active when you use IFX but ok still there are 3 MFX.

Well maybe they should stop using 90's hardware... So they can have effects on par with current software based instruments... That restriction you just mentioned is only there because Korg italy refuses to get the Pa3x hardware up to date with other 21st century hardware..
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoric wrote:

But that still isn't 3MFX per sound, is it? Wink
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, @Bachus...

This pipedream of a totally modern CPU driven keyboard has been floated for decades. No-one has succeeded, because of the unpredictable CPU draw of a wide variety of different VSTi's. Hardware at least gives you the advantage of a guaranteed polyphony and effects architecture.

In the studio, this isn't so important. Start to choke the CPU, you can simply render some of the VSTi's and effects and free up the ceiling. But live is a whole different can of worms. And, let's face it, although you CAN use an arranger for studio use, it's primary reason d'etre is playing live. This is where you cannot afford a crash, dropout or hiccup of any kind.

Add to this the ever-changing nature of computer OS's, compatible CPU's and connectivity, and the idea of designing a live keyboard based entirely on modern CPU's and OS's would be a nightmare for the developers. As soon as a new OS comes out, as soon as newer VSTi's that need this newer OS and CPU's comes out, there goes your investment... It's a doorstop. Not to mention connectivity... Firewire, USBx, Thunderbolt, what's next? Will the motherboard architecture support it?

I love VSTi's in the studio. But the idea of a keyboard based entirely on them (especially an arranger) gives me the willies Twisted Evil Mediastation gave it the best shot anyone has currently done, and we all know what a failure that turned out to be.

I think there's a legitimate reason that hardware still rules outside the studio. Failure is not an option! Shocked
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:

While not a PA instrument, the Old Oasys has the ability to add 12 insert effects, 2 MFX and 2 TFX per program (sound). In combi mode, i e multiple program mode; this configuration is modified by allowing up to 12 insert effects for the total group of sounds, or less. And insert effects can be grouped or shared. The MFX and TFX at two each are shared among the sounds. Amounts of M & T effects can be dialed in (0 to 127) per each sound. Send and return. Not knowing your interpretation of effects structure, I would say this is pretty close.
Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... knew that about the Oasys (even the Kronos has less, right?), but was referring to an arranger.

How much was the Oasys, btw? Twisted Evil

$8000+ or so? LOL

You pays your money, and you gets what you pays for! Rolling Eyes Wink
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
Yep... knew that about the Oasys (even the Kronos has less, right?), but was referring to an arranger.

How much was the Oasys, btw? Twisted Evil

$8000+ or so? LOL

You pays your money, and you gets what you pays for! Rolling Eyes Wink

Not sure about Kronos, don't own one. I purchased the 76 which I paid much less than that ($5500.00 on one that didn't even get played by the previous owner). Wink

How about it. Are you still gonna stick with that Roland Rolling Eyes , or upgrade to the Pa4x?

Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: