Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys 88, always sustain.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorevf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Oasys 88, always sustain. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have manage to bring back an Oasys 88 from the afterlife..
Manage to repair the motherboard.

Anyway, new install, patched to 1.3.3a

Every now and then, it's like the sustain pedal kicks in and the tone lasts forever..

But no pedal is installed..
Just power cable and a head set.

Has anybody seen an behaviour like this before, if so, is there a easy cure?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Fredrik
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of condition was the Oasys in before it was "brought back from the afterlife" and what repairs to the motherboard were necessary? What was its past history?

This sounds potentially like quite a bit of troubleshooting and there could be any number of causes, coming from hardware or software. It may be an easy fix, but no guarantees. Is there anything plugged into the USB port? Does the keyboard or any of the controls become unresponsive when the sustain gets stuck on?

The fact the problem is intermittent is encouraging, since it indicates the board can operate with sustain on or off, rather than being stuck one way or the other. When the sustain gets "stuck on" permanently, have you tried plugging in a sustain pedal, or even just a plain old jack plug? If that helps, it could be down to a bit of conductive contamination in the sustain pedal jack socket, or some sort of intermittent short near there. What was the condition of the internal wiring and interconnects inside the Oasys?

Does changing the program or combi a couple of times cause the sustain to turn off?

Is a software factory reset possible?

Lots of questions, but the answers should help to guide the path to a fix.

The only time I've had an issue like this was with a Kronos as a result of connecting two pad-type controllers to its USB ports. Either pad alone was fine. Removing the devices and power cycling with a 10 second delay between off and on cured that.
jorevf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
What sort of condition was the Oasys in before it was "brought back from the afterlife" and what repairs to the motherboard were necessary? What was its past history?

This sounds potentially like quite a bit of troubleshooting and there could be any number of causes, coming from hardware or software. It may be an easy fix, but no guarantees. Is there anything plugged into the USB port? Does the keyboard or any of the controls become unresponsive when the sustain gets stuck on?

The fact the problem is intermittent is encouraging, since it indicates the board can operate with sustain on or off, rather than being stuck one way or the other. When the sustain gets "stuck on" permanently, have you tried plugging in a sustain pedal, or even just a plain old jack plug? If that helps, it could be down to a bit of conductive contamination in the sustain pedal jack socket, or some sort of intermittent short near there. What was the condition of the internal wiring and interconnects inside the Oasys?

Does changing the program or combi a couple of times cause the sustain to turn off?

Is a software factory reset possible?

Lots of questions, but the answers should help to guide the path to a fix.

The only time I've had an issue like this was with a Kronos as a result of connecting two pad-type controllers to its USB ports. Either pad alone was fine. Removing the devices and power cycling with a 10 second delay between off and on cured that.

I guess it suffered from the usual I can't boot there is no connection with the motherboard syndrom.
In short, voltage control circuit for the CPU was gone, due to some fried components...

I did find the problem, it was actually the cable on the bord with the port, switch, damper ports that where a bit off...
And by put i back in firm position, it worked..

So I'm glad I had not put it all back together....
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. A relatively easy fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: