Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why would one prefer a Pa3x-4x over a Kronos? Please educate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratquebec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Why would one prefer a Pa3x-4x over a Kronos? Please educate Reply with quote

First, Im still with my Triton Le 61 that I love, but it's time to seriously think to upgrade.

I don't gig. I'm not a pro. I do my own stuff, alone, just for the pleasure of doing music.

I like to explore about any styles but I would say that Pop/Rock is what I do most. I'm trying to write good songs Very Happy I have no problems writing bad ones!

Mostly do my stuff on DAWs like Logic and Cubase.
Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Percussion and Keys.

Ok. The Kronos seems absolutely amazing! A DAW within a keyboard I would say! Or vice versa! And I find it faster and easier to compose with my Triton Le than with DAWs, at least to get some inspiration and quickly record them.

When I compare both the PA3x or 4x against the Kronos, by listening to tutorials or web videos, it seems to my ears that the Kronos is overall a better sounding device. Arrangers seems to sound a little toy'ish or less "real".

But the arrangers like the PA3x, and now the 4x now seems to come close to the Kronos sound-wise so my question is: Why would one prefer a Pax3-4 over a Kronos? What are the advantages of an arranger over a Kronos? Please educate me!

Thanks in advance for your help and inputs.

Cheers!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of arranger keyboards as preset-based machines. These presets are known as "Styles" which you can use to play a Chord progression in real time. If you're a song writer and would like some automatic accompaniment to help you with generating ideas, or if you just want to play a song on the fly without putting too much into it musically, then an Arranger keyboard will definitely give you a shortcut. It has a very weak sequencer compared to a DAW or other workstations, because that's not its primary function.

The very basic form of playing an arranger would be to control the Chord progression input with the left hand and use the right hand to play the melodic ideas. The left hand would give you a full automatic accompaniment. None of these arrangers sound better than Kronos. I own both and aside from a few Guitars, everything else sounds way better on Kronos. (To be expected). Arranger keyboard is a cool instrument if you want to singalong or entertain family and friends, but for more serious music production you should definitely consider a workstation.

stratquebec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Sam CA. Thanks a lot. Now I know that the Kronos is the tool I need. And a good built-in sequencer is a must have to me so now the choice is obvious.

Thanks again!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Think of arranger keyboards as preset-based machines. These presets are known as "Styles" which you can use to play a Chord progression in real time. If you're a song writer and would like some automatic accompaniment to help you with generating ideas, or if you just want to play a song on the fly without putting too much into it musically, then an Arranger keyboard will definitely give you a shortcut. It has a very weak sequencer compared to a DAW or other workstations, because that's not its primary function.

The very basic form of playing an arranger would be to control the Chord progression input with the left hand and use the right hand to play the melodic ideas. The left hand would give you a full automatic accompaniment. None of these arrangers sound better than Kronos. I own both and aside from a few Guitars, everything else sounds way better on Kronos. (To be expected). Arranger keyboard is a cool instrument if you want to singalong or entertain family and friends, but for more serious music production you should definitely consider a workstation.

really?

Try playing piano style with styles and pads..

And i think the pa4x sound engine might be more advanced then the HD1 and SGX2 combined..

Personally i think you are not giving ToTL arrangers enough credit.. they are creative power houses that allow you to step far beyound just using presets... If you want an arranger that just plays nice with presets, i would suggest a PA300 or PA600, they will do..

TOTL arrangers are fullfledged workstations of their own in the hands of an innovative musician that invests time into exploring their possibilities. Espescially the Korg ones.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of advantages of arrangers over Kronos for a song writer

1. You can capture full musical ideas in any style of music with an appropriate accompaniment instantly and record it into the inbuilt fully featured sequencer. Kind of like a scratch pad but on steroids.
2. You can do multiple versions of the idea experimenting with different chord progressions . Key changes , break fills and tempo changes with full accompaniment in minutes .
3. Once your are happy with the structure of the song you can then do the usual workstation thing using the onboard sequencer to fully produce the song version you like best or using your daw but you will have a much more fleshed out starting point.
4. The korg arranger has DNC . Most Kronos owners wish it had DNC !!! In other words if you use real world sounds in your compositions the arranger wins all day against the Kronos in terms of playability of real world instruments .
5. Inspiration . If you ever run out of musical ideas start jamming with an arranger and see what happens ! As one musician to another I cannot over emphasise this advantage .
6. the major advantage is that the arranger , although comes with pre made styles is completely customisable . You can make your own styles or personalise existing ones or mix and match parts from the hundreds of styles on board to create interesting and unique arrangements . Think jazz horns on a on a rock groove or funk guitar on a ballad !!! You are only limited by your imagination .
7. Instant suggested performance set ups with sounds,effects already pre made that again can inspire but are still completely customisable.
8. You can flit seamlessly between playing arranger and using it as a straight non arranger keyboard/workstation (deep sound editing , sequencing , effects editing etc )so you keep most of the advantages and less of the disadvantages of a workstation .
9. The Kronos can do some of these functions kind of (think karma), but nowhere near as efficiently or sound humanistically as authentic as the arranger .
10. Convenience . As as song writer , being able to translate your musical ideas into a workable piece whilst the inspiration is still with you is the bug bare of all musicians . The arranger goes a long way into resolving this as described above .

Have a listen to this song created by Danny Mitchell on his Yamaha arranger http://youtu.be/HLJDoXrFUsw

Or this one http://youtu.be/G-p8GpmnPMQ

I could go on but that should be enough to think about . Of course the Kronos scores huge points on sound creation manipulation etc but as a song writer , into pop and rock you should balance out what you will be using the keyboard for primarily . For example what use is 9 synth engines to you that one good one can't do ? What makes a great song ? The best sounds possible or the best melody words and arrangement ? Not trying to stear you in any particular direction but just answering your question as fully and as honestly as I can.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Couple of advantages of arrangers over Kronos for a song writer

4. The korg arranger has DNC . Most Kronos owners wish it had DNC !!! In other words if you use real world sounds in your compositions the arranger wins all day against the Kronos in terms of playability of real world instruments .

However there are some Kronos owners that think having DNC is cheating... (the same opinion many of them have about styles)
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why would one prefer a Pa3x-4x over a Kronos? Please edu Reply with quote

Double post... sorry about that

Last edited by Bachus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Why would one prefer a Pa3x-4x over a Kronos? Please edu Reply with quote

stratquebec wrote:
First, Im still with my Triton Le 61 that I love, but it's time to seriously think to upgrade.

I don't gig. I'm not a pro. I do my own stuff, alone, just for the pleasure of doing music.

I like to explore about any styles but I would say that Pop/Rock is what I do most. I'm trying to write good songs Very Happy I have no problems writing bad ones!

Mostly do my stuff on DAWs like Logic and Cubase.
Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Percussion and Keys.

Ok. The Kronos seems absolutely amazing! A DAW within a keyboard I would say! Or vice versa! And I find it faster and easier to compose with my Triton Le than with DAWs, at least to get some inspiration and quickly record them.

When I compare both the PA3x or 4x against the Kronos, by listening to tutorials or web videos, it seems to my ears that the Kronos is overall a better sounding device. Arrangers seems to sound a little toy'ish or less "real".

That must be your ears.. While Kronos definately has some strengths above the PA3x... when it comes to acoustic sounds like brass and woods, having DNC means a huge advantage in creating realistic phrases.. The PA4X soundengine will be a combination of the HD1 and SGX engines of the Kronos and having the same potential with added DNC on top of that

The new PA4x drum engine might even surpass the Kronos drums.

If you are into synth and orchestral sounds however the Kronos has 7 more engines to combine sounds with, its also much less restricted when it comes to layering sounds, the KAPRO orchestrall expansions are out of this world when it comes to having orchestral sounds in a hardware workstation.

But saying arrangers sound like toys is rubbish in my opinion, having both a Kronos and a Tyros5 and i am both loving them.

But the arrangers like the PA3x, and now the 4x now seems to come close to the Kronos sound-wise so my question is: Why would one prefer a Pax3-4 over a Kronos? What are the advantages of an arranger over a Kronos? Please educate me!

Thanks in advance for your help and inputs.

Cheers!

Sowhat does an arranger give you that you do not have in the Kronos..

Its Karma versus Styles, and despite Karma being awesome, for just solo playing music the Styles are way easier. However in a studio, where you sequence everything the KArma is close to the ultimate arpeggiator, and it can do amazing things for a composer.

Also the near unlimmited expandabillity and possibilities for soundcreation with the different engines of the Kronos sets it appart from everything else available in hardware..

Kronos is an awesome composers tool, but also a perfect instrument for playing live keyboards in a band being both a synth as well as a stagepiano and having a lusty B3 and organ sounds.

However when it comes to just playing music or even trying things out as a composer, having the easy backing styles for trying out some arrangements with a new composition is an awesome feature to have..

In the end if i had to choose i would choose an arranger over the Kronos wether it be the PA4x or the Tyros5, because most of the time i just want to sit and play music.

But in the end, having both a Kronos and an arranger as well as my macbook with mainstage, logic. live and some VSTs is pretty much a perfect combination.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However there are some Kronos owners that think having DNC is cheating... (the same opinion many of them have about styles)

…and what do they think the Kronos "KARMA" is …….??????

Seriously, DNC gives the player the ability to apply authentic articulation to sounds which are not otherwise "playable" on a keybed - of course Kronos owners would love it!!
I can understand why workstation/synth owners see the "arranger" as a cheating tool i.e. bass, drums, accs all supplied and preprogrammed for you - but most workstations cannot be used in the same way as an arranger (except Kronos can to a certain extent using KARMA)

I'd be very interested to know if any (or how many) Kronos owners actually use full backing COMBIs in a live situation. Similarly, how many arranger owners use their arranger as a straight synth (without styles/backings).

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
And i think the pa4x sound engine might be more advanced then the HD1 and SGX2 combined..

How is the EDS engine in the Pa4x more advanced than the Kronos engines? Or are you referring to more than the engine cores?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are similar and yet different tools for different applications and usage demands.

Many people compare kronos to a computer with DAW and a midi controller (which imo is not correct), a computer can sound better than anything, but rarely feel like an instrument.

You can also have the computer work as an arranger too using software (one man band, vArranger, omb etc).

however, Putting that aside, I would say, neither (arranger or workstation) can completely replace the other. The Best is to have both working together. If only one is the option, then definitely get your priorities sorted out.

Listed below are some main points:

Arranger :
Primarily Designed for Style based Workflow - Select a Style and it has pre-recorded accompaniment patterns (variations etc) that play together along with chord recognition. (you can create own styles etc) but is mainly meant for song performance.
In Single Man band situations , you would call for an arranger, where the most of the heavy lifting (playing secondary tracks like bass, accompaniments) the keyboard takes care of.

Workstation: Totally different workflow, it's usually got a sequencer (or use a DAW) and is more oriented on Sound Design and performing as an instrument as well as recording complete songs/scores, external tracks etc, There are a lot other things that are in there that facilitate endless creativity and ideas.

If you are primarily a Keyboard player (artist) then you would likely prefer a workstation to play along with band etc.
however if you are a songwriter, then an arranger would suit more. (both can work in all roles to a certain extent, it's when you want to dig deeper or do things they were't designed to do, is when they fall short and differences become apparent)

To me In a Nutshell it's a Perform/Songwriting (Arranger) vs Design/Instrument (workstation) thing.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:

…and what do they think the Kronos "KARMA" is …….??????

Seriously, DNC gives the player the ability to apply authentic articulation to sounds which are not otherwise "playable" on a keybed - of course Kronos owners would love it!!
I can understand why workstation/synth owners see the "arranger" as a cheating tool i.e. bass, drums, accs all supplied and preprogrammed for you - but most workstations cannot be used in the same way as an arranger

Pete Very Happy

Cheating is in the mind of the beholder and subject to perception. After all, one can easily find guitarists, horn players and drummers that state that synthesizers ,in general, are cheating. Bottom line is that arrangers and workstations are tools. As tools they are to be used to reach a musical statement; that either stands on its own or is used by others to, flesh out, an idea. The moral idea of cheating is just posturing and blah, blah, blah in my opinion. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Bachus
Quote:
But saying arrangers sound like toys is rubbish in my opinion

You're right. Sorry about that. Probably based on a poorly made arrangement of the Titanic song I listened to on youtube through my iMac speakers... Let's forget that.

That said let me say Wow!

A big thank you all for your comments and inputs. So informative to me. Well it seems that comparing these two tools is a false debate, I understand that each one has its own characteristics.
Ultimately, having the two would be ideal, for sure, but I surely can't afford having both right now anyway..

I will need to learn more about Karma vs Styles I think and do my homework.

I'll take time to re-read slowly all your posts.

Thanks for your help!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cheating is in the mind of the beholder and subject to perception. After all, one can easily find guitarists, horn players and drummers that state that synthesizers ,in general, are cheating. Bottom line is that arrangers and workstations are tools. As tools they are to be used to reach a musical statement; that either stands on its own or is used by others to, flesh out, an idea. The moral idea of cheating is just posturing and blah, blah, blah in my opinion.

+100 Well said Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've looked at a couple of youtube good videos and I see that the PAx3 between the Marco Parisi hands can do and sound like! ( Ya, I know, can do wonders with anything...)

Ok I have questions about styles:

- Is it easy to create our own styles from scratch?
- Is there some styles say, a la Pink floyd or something alike? If so how do they perform?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: