Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to write Trance music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_courville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: How to write Trance music Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just found this link http://www.tweakheadz.com/recipes.html
Do you guys think the principles mentioned here apply to our beloved EMX-1?
Paul Courville is a.k.a. Cyberdude

www.cyberdudeproductions.com
itch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres no set way to make music

good music comes from the soul and usualyl derrives from just jamming and improvising.

i make a lot of beats on my electribe by assigning the drum parts, hitting record then just playing finger drums till something sounds good.

iv had a listen to your tunes and its clear you should know not ever follow some "place your kick on the 1,5,9,13, then put your highhat on the 3,1,11, 15" set procedure bollocks.

(my jungleist side coming thru)

having said that, there are definatly set ways to get psytrance basslines sorted and sounding sweet

(my tribal side coming thru)
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea f*ck trance(no offence) except goa psy.... repetitive 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 beats and hats between and a snare at 1.2/1.4 aint the way to make beats.... (16 years of electronic music experience coming out).... that's not to say you can't be original and make good music it's just guidlines are what keeps music from evolving to its full potential...

you gotta let go of the concept of genre and make music that comes from your hear like the other person said... there's absolutly nothing wrong in going out of the way and completely radical and unconventional to produce music in fact that's where THE best music comes from.... check out my song called ex-splats on my virb http://virb.com/ruso

These days it is becoming very hard to distinguish between types of music except it all falls into a couple major categories.... jungle based(dnb dubstep jungle(of course) breaks) hardcore based(house trance psy/goa trance minimal, original techno, acid and so on and so fourth)... and to this day I will tell you that our good ole jungle derivitives are the most sophisticated and original music still produced....

oh one more thing, quit making music for fame. That's another thing that keeps electronic music(well mainstream electronic music) stuck on the same note.

the most important thing like I said is to break ruleas in music because the arther away you drift from convention the more amazing it becomes... I'm sure some of you are fammiliar to be listening to a mix and then all of a sudden a song is coming in and you get the burst of energy before you even fully hear it and then it starts drilling into your head and twisting your brain arround and toying with your mind... This comes from originality and unconventional sample mangling or synth, effect modulation.

Start slow, make what you can, learn how to use your synths, and I don't mean how to choose patches and play them, I mean how to create your own patches from scratch... start easy, a simple saw oscillator with an lfo'd filter on your electribes, that's perhaps the most commonly used bassline style in a lot of breakbeats(well except gay ass new school breaks(no offence to nu school lovers Wink))

this is kind of funny I'm taking a bus to seattle from where I live and the bus has wireless internet... perhaps that's why it cost 2:50 to go like 20 miles...

anyways good luck man, let me know if you got any questions with electribes or ableton...
itch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
yea f*ck trance(no offence) except goa psy.... repetitive 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 beats and hats between and a snare at 1.2/1.4 aint the way to make beats.... (16 years of electronic music experience coming out).... that's not to say you can't be original and make good music it's just guidlines are what keeps music from evolving to its full potential...

you gotta let go of the concept of genre and make music that comes from your hear like the other person said... there's absolutly nothing wrong in going out of the way and completely radical and unconventional to produce music in fact that's where THE best music comes from.... check out my song called ex-splats on my virb http://virb.com/ruso

These days it is becoming very hard to distinguish between types of music except it all falls into a couple major categories.... jungle based(dnb dubstep jungle(of course) breaks) hardcore based(house trance psy/goa trance minimal, original techno, acid and so on and so fourth)... and to this day I will tell you that our good ole jungle derivitives are the most sophisticated and original music still produced....

oh one more thing, quit making music for fame. That's another thing that keeps electronic music(well mainstream electronic music) stuck on the same note.

the most important thing like I said is to break ruleas in music because the arther away you drift from convention the more amazing it becomes... I'm sure some of you are fammiliar to be listening to a mix and then all of a sudden a song is coming in and you get the burst of energy before you even fully hear it and then it starts drilling into your head and twisting your brain arround and toying with your mind... This comes from originality and unconventional sample mangling or synth, effect modulation.

Start slow, make what you can, learn how to use your synths, and I don't mean how to choose patches and play them, I mean how to create your own patches from scratch... start easy, a simple saw oscillator with an lfo'd filter on your electribes, that's perhaps the most commonly used bassline style in a lot of breakbeats(well except gay ass new school breaks(no offence to nu school lovers Wink))

this is kind of funny I'm taking a bus to seattle from where I live and the bus has wireless internet... perhaps that's why it cost 2:50 to go like 20 miles...

anyways good luck man, let me know if you got any questions with electribes or ableton...

couldnt agree more. look at people like aphex twin, squarepusher, tipper their music is so far out and most of the time cant actually be pidgen holed to a genre.

just checked out your tunes man, they sound phat! a lot of electribe noises i recognise. also, your set up! /drools thats basicly what i aiming for but wiht a kp3 and a few other bits and bobs iv aquaired along the way for free.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I don't use the electribes for sound so you don't hear ANY electribe noises Wink the boxes are strictly for midi control.
itch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
actually, I don't use the electribes for sound so you don't hear ANY electribe noises Wink the boxes are strictly for midi control.

well then youv got either the same "zap" sample, or one extreemly similar, from some where else and used it in your tune unknowingly!

inspired by this thread i went home last night and made some really wonky offbeat stuff. but i couldnt help whacking a heavy 4/4 in at climax.

hardtek FTW Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: