Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R3's sounds on the computer to edit as a virtual instrument?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: R3's sounds on the computer to edit as a virtual instrument? Reply with quote

is it possible to connect the R3 to the computer (I'm using a USB cable) and to record something in a program like Garage Band or Logic with its own sounds?

what I want is not just the pure audio but also a MIDI signal so I can alter the recorded music afterwards like I would a software instrument. that is, I want to see each individual note that I played and be able to drag it around and change its duration and such.

so in essence, I am looking for a way to use the R3 as a MIDI controller for its own sounds, or (in Garage Band terminology), to use it both like a software and a real instrument.

the way I use it now I can only use it as either a pure MIDI controller or as a pure audio input instrument like a non-MIDI keyboard.

thanks a lot in advance.
cassus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not all that familiar with garage band, but I have a basic understaning of logic, and logic has awesome midi capabilities. I think this should be possible in garage band as well. What you need is to set up a channel for audio in to get the audio from the R3. And you need one for midi in. When you have recorded what you want to record, you make the midi channel a send channel in stead, sending midi out of one of the channels. Channel 1 for example. Then you need to set up your R3 to recieve midi messages on the same channel your garage band sends it out. Now you can quantize and clean up whatever you just recorded as midi and it will play back through the audio channel on garage band.

Hope that helps.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cassus wrote:
I'm not all that familiar with garage band, but I have a basic understaning of logic, and logic has awesome midi capabilities. I think this should be possible in garage band as well. What you need is to set up a channel for audio in to get the audio from the R3. And you need one for midi in. When you have recorded what you want to record, you make the midi channel a send channel in stead, sending midi out of one of the channels. Channel 1 for example. Then you need to set up your R3 to recieve midi messages on the same channel your garage band sends it out. Now you can quantize and clean up whatever you just recorded as midi and it will play back through the audio channel on garage band.

Hope that helps.

That is Right....Unlike some other synths out there , no Audio is transferred by the usb cable.... only midi data...
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Argus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help so far. well, while Logic has all the MIDI capabilities I could ask for, it is still as of now way too complicated for me as a beginner.

unfortunately, Garage Band does not have the option of creating simple MIDI-only tracks or send MIDI data out, at least as far as I know.

do you know if something like that could be achieved in Ableton?

so far I've just been recording audio without any MIDI information and have actually achieved quite satisfactory results, except that they aren't perfect of course, only as good as I can play in tune and on time Smile
klangsulfat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus wrote:
unfortunately, Garage Band does not have the option of creating simple MIDI-only tracks or send MIDI data out, at least as far as I know. do you know if something like that could be achieved in Ableton?

Regarding MIDI stuff, Ableton is not really easier to use than Logic. Beside this, the new Logic 8 is much more easier to use than earlier versions (and much cheaper). What you can try: There is a free AU plug-in called "Midio". This plug-in makes possible to use an external MIDI synth within GarageBand. You'll find it here: http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/
Argus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the help, once again. coincidentally I had just found out about midiO independently the same day you mentioned it, so encouraged by two testemonials, I tried it.

and it works beautifully. transforms a software instrument track into a pure MIDI track, very intelligently done. now not only can I edit the notes before recording the audio, I also have my hands free to tweak the parameters while recording.

great. problem solved, finally!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: