Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best 49-key controller for M3-M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbarnesiii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Best 49-key controller for M3-M Reply with quote

Hello,

What is the best 49-key controller for the Korg M3-M?

Specifically, I'm looking for simple, not a lot of buttons, just good touch & good semi-weighted keys. I would only be using for the keys and pitch wheel, no complex buttons to control any M3 functions or anything.

Currently I'm using Roland XP-60 as a controller. Only drag is when I use sequencer, I have to make sure that the CHANNEL on M3 matches the channel on the controller. So on the controller I have to manually use the LOCAL TX/RX button and switch to whatever channel is being recorded onto in the M3 sequencer. (Example: if I'm recording drums on track 10 (channel 10) of the M3 sequencer, I won't hear drum sounds until I manually change the channel (using LOCAL TX/RX button) on the XP-60 controller to channel 10.

That said, I'd need the new 49-key controller to be able to do that channel matching just as easily, if not automatically.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you!
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I love the keyfeeling of M-Audio Axiom 49, but Im ust say that CME UF5 is not that bad.
If you are looking for something used, too, the Roland A-70 is very good, and able to control more modules at the same time.

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't limit yourself.....the M3 is a complicated beast, and if you like playing with both hands, 49 keys aren't enough.

I have an M3-61 and wish I had the 73-key version.

Confused
johnbarnesiii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, what about the E-MU Xboard 49, or Novation Remote LE?

And can you guys please address the channel matching issue I referenced at top, with regards to the above controllers?

Thanks!
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have an M3-61 and wish I had the 73-key version

Mee too Confused
KorgSinceTheM1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Korg's Kontrol 49. I use it mainly for software synths, but it would most definitely work with the M3-M. I'd like to see Korg come up with a 61, 76, or even a weighted action 88 version rather than stop at the 49 key.

Otherwise, the CME's, Axiom's, XBoards, Novation's Remote series are excellent in their own right.
Smoother

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy haha I got the same question. Today i saw the Novation Xio, it is a simple looking controller,25 and 49 keys. I think the Novation SLs are a little complicated for M3-M. I will prefer to see how the Xio is doing.

BTW I am waiting for Diego to use his Novation controlling the M3-M.
Hey, Diego, How are you doing? Sounds Good
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the awesome range of Korg sounds, why would you restrict yourself to 49 keys? Don't forget, that some of the KARMA modules' triggering zones could be set below your 49 key controller. Next, most Korg programs and combis take advantage of the SW1 abd SW2 switches to alter many parameters not the least of which are 8ve up/down, CC sounds shaping, Joystick and Ribbon lock etc. Your best direct set up for these of course is a Korg keyboad with these controls onboard - ribbon, omnidirectional joystick, SW1 & 2. If these are missing from your controller, you will definitely be missing the realtime alteration of sounds via these controls.

So, investigate this very throroughly. If you absolutely must have only 49 keys, then I would recommend the Korg KONTROL49 - http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KONTROL49&category_id=1
Check out the streaming video for a great overview of what this can do.
Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
johnbarnesiii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, how about channel matching on these (ie Novation Remote LE 49 or XioSynth49)?

In terms of 49 keys w/ good touch, which one is easiest to match channels when you use M3 sequencer?

Thanks!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find any controller that can do that channel matching, its not part of any kind of MIDI standard. Your best bet is to rely on the fact that any events arriving on the Global Channel (1 by default, but changeable in Global mode) are routed to the currently active track. To make that work well of course you need to ensure that no tracks are assigned to the Global channel, otherwise they'll sound as well.

The active track is the one you've selected using the field just under the name of the song and to the left of the Reso field, on the 'home page' of the sequencer.

I don't have an M3, but all the other Korg gear I've used worked this way ...

Daz.
Miggz McFly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use an Akai MPK49, and it works wonders, the pads are pretty good, and the keys are great. it has simple arp/note repeat functions and the octave keys of course Very Happy

best of all i can have it playing any channel i want, and put on multi-record in the m3 and play two channels at once without messing with track parameters of course
gjvti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnbarnesiii wrote:
Thanks, how about channel matching on these (ie Novation Remote LE 49 or XioSynth49)?

In terms of 49 keys w/ good touch, which one is easiest to match channels when you use M3 sequencer?

Thanks!

I don't know about Remote LE, but Novation Remote SL is excellent in terms of features - you can use it as midi master and change tempo or octave up/down on the fly without pressing any additional buttons for confirmation. It is very flexible for programming so channel matching is as easy as pressing buttons. I have 16 similar templates each sending to different midi channel and I can instantly switch to any channel with a touch of a button (16 buttons are assigned to switch between these templates/channels in my setup). Again no confirmation required - you just have to make sure that you release all keys, when you switch channels to avoid hanged notes. Also you can use its really, really poor (compared to m3 ones) drum pads to switch between all 8 karma scenes (m3 has only 4 buttons) and it also allows sending sysex from sliders (I don't know other midi controller which can do that - if you know let me know Wink ), but unfortunately it doesn't supports korg 14/16 byte messages so at present the only use for this feature is controlling m3 total volume (which is a shorter midi message) so you can change volume in m3 toslink out (inaccessible from m3 control surface) from a slider of pot on Remote SL.
Drawbacks - Novation is very cheap built, buttons (especially drum pads) feel loose and unresponsive (honestly drum pads are simply terrible), sliders and pots are cheap rubberized plastic, key response is probably also not the best one. Although at the moment I have 37 key version (I have limited space for my music toys) I certainly would agree with the statements that anything less than 61 keys for m3 is inappropriate.
sequel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a korg kontrol 49 and love it. It feels so solid, feels higher end than maudio etc. same color as m3
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Novation ReMOTE 37SL.
the 49 (or i think they do 61?) would be great for that kind of thing and if you map it right you'll have loads of realtime control - more than offered by the joystick, buttons, and sliders.

seen as the M3 has a pretty detailed SYSEX specification, you should be a ble to do some pretty interesting stuff. all of the controls: buttons, sliders, knobs, joystick, touchpad, drum pads - can all be assigned to anything, SYSEX, Note, CC, RPN, NRPN, Program Change. very detailed.

I personally don't think you can get away with a workstation with less than 61 keys - I have a 61 key TR and I'm always wanting more keys! so I have two 61 key controllers MIDIed to it, but thats not the same as having more keys to be really expressive with those beautiful pianos, EPs, and strings. Of course 61 is fine for organ or most synth and guitar sounds.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: